Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭blue note

budgemook wrote: »
    Rib rack and chicken holder are good buys

They also do a burger shaper. I'm slightly tempted by it because I've no self control when making burgers and they always end up way too big. But I'll refrain. It's certainly a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

dingbat wrote: »
    Keeping cooked food warm is easy. It's the cooking bit that is the primary thing to consider.

Do not go "low end" for charcoal. Well, you can. But IMO you will regret it.

I have had years of service out of a Aldi half barrel style BBQ - two trays, three levels, lots of cooking surface.
    And I recently bought a full barrel type with smoker box from Home Store & More for less than 100 notes. Very happy with that too, so far.
    Also had great fun with a cat iron pot belly BBQ that I got for £10!
    And got a lovely V small BBQ from TKMax. It clips to the side of a picnic bench, balcony rail, boat rail or has a spike to stand it over the grass. A little bigger than a disposable BBQ but has done well for about ten or more cooks for me.

Don't knock "low end".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Oak whiskey barrell from Amazon using to some some beef ribs and pork belly burnt ends

20190602-153659.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

I have had years of service out of a Aldi half barrel style BBQ - two trays, three levels, lots of cooking surface.
    And I recently bought a full barrel type with smoker box from Home Store & More for less than 100 notes. Very happy with that too, so far.
    Also had great fun with a cat iron pot belly BBQ that I got for £10!
    And got a lovely V small BBQ from TKMax. It clips to the side of a picnic bench, balcony rail, boat rail or has a spike to stand it over the grass. A little bigger than a disposable BBQ but has done well for about ten or more cooks for me.

Don't knock "low end".
    Very fair. :)

neris wrote: »
    Oak whiskey barrell from Amazon using to some some beef ribs and pork belly burnt ends

20190602-153659.jpg

Theres a chap in cork selling old whisky barrels on donedeal.
    25 30e a pop i think.

How was the food?
    I cooked up some amazing ribs on saturday.
    Babybacks left for 24 hours in an aldi bbq sauce (skeeters) then 5 hours@ 120 .
    Wrapped them in foil from the start.
    I've yet to try wood chips

• Advertisement

How was the food?
    I cooked up some amazing ribs on saturday.
    Babybacks left for 24 hours in an aldi bbq sauce (skeeters) then 5 hours@ 120 .
    Wrapped them in foil from the start.
    I've yet to try wood chips

was a disaster to be honest. Firstly the meat order I placed was delivered wrong. Ordered 2-3 racks/slabs of beef ribs with 4-6 bones in each rack. I got sent 2 packets of pre cut ribs and a small bag with 5 beef bones in it. Secondly planning a long days cook after getting home at 3am from a boozy night was not a good idea. Started to late in the day and couldnt get the temp up high enough in the smoker so beef ribs never cooked and pork belly burnt ends cooked but werent tender. The only thing that turned out good were the lamb kebabs over direct heat. Used that catering lump for the kebabs, some size of coal in that bag

20190602-153632.jpg

20190602-185704.jpg

20190602-211005.jpg

20190602-204134.jpg

20190602-193924.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

neris wrote: »
    Secondly planning a long days cook after getting home at 3am from a boozy night was not a good idea.

Ouch. Familiar with that one. Did it once and put the smoker on at 4am, threw the meat (brisket in) and went to bed. Worked out fine.

You'll always wake up in a bit of a hungover panic too early knowing theres a day of cooking ahead. Which ruins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

So Kebabs, Pork Belly and Chicken was tried over the weekend. Chicken - whole chicken marinated in cumin powder, corriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste and yoghurt overnight. Pork belly covered in Chinese 5 spice powder for a few hours. Kebabs (Lamb) - had bought a beef round roast kind of looking cut from Lidl and cut very thin discs from it and marinated in oregano, olive oil, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste and smashed up green chillies overnight - also into the marinate went squares of red/green bell peppers and red onions.
    Kebabs were done over direct fire - came out fantastic
    Chicken and Pork Belly went in together with temp at around a little less than 200 with a chunk of apple wood. Unfortunately while I was away doing something the kids and wife combo closed the top vent (mistakenly) trying to get the temp up and I found that after a good 2-25 minutes later that the temps have dropped to below 100 - didn't manage to get the the temp up after that - chicken went into the oven - but came out dry. The pork on the other hand - after another hour in the oven at 150 covered in foil came out jut perfect = one of the best pulled pork with a super crackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I did some pork neck on Saturday and was very happy with this cut of meat. It was about 6 euro for 1.5kg, it gave really good pulled pork after 4.5 hours including resting time and was enough for a small group instead of the usual mountain of pork that would feed any army. No crackling but I am not a fan of crackling anyway. Will definitely be cooking pork neck again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Any places online to buy good quality pork butt, brisket and ribs? Working away and find it hard getting the butchers at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi budgemook - so can I just ask for pork Neck from the butcher? Is it with bone - do I need to do anything with it? I live in a small town in West Cork and getting specific cuts is a bit difficult.

Debub wrote: »
    Hi budgemook - so can I just ask for pork Neck from the butcher? Is it with bone - do I need to do anything with it? I live in a small town in West Cork and getting specific cuts is a bit difficult.

Hi. I had never heard of it until I read about it in this thread. I remember a poster saying most Polish shops / butchers have it. I forgot about it then until I noticed it for sale, prepack and with no bones, in a shop in North Dublin last week. I've never noticed it anywhere else nor asked a butcher for it.

+one for pork neck.
    I want to try beef cheaks. Anyone done them?

+one for pork neck.

Yep. They need a long cook a very tough cut of meat but done right lovely juicy and tender

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

+one for pork neck.
    Yes. They're brilliant. You're probably looking at 4-5 hours. Strongly recommend foiling half way through and adding a little liquid (throw an ice cube or two in there). It's a lovely rich cut with a silky, almost gluey texture when you get it right. Just a wonderful piece of meat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

+one for pork neck.

I did cheeks once, made a balls of them. Want to try again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gallowshill

I have a broil King Keg for sale in adverts if anyone is interested. Cannot post link as dont have enough posts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I have a broil King Keg for sale in adverts if anyone is interested. Cannot post link as dont have enough posts

https://www.adverts.ie/charcoal-bbq-s/bbq-broil-king-keg/18163378

Brian? wrote: »
    I did cheeks once, made a balls of them. Want to try again.

Tried the butcher earlier but he had none.
    Have a half dozen on order but won't be in till Thursday!!!!
    So got some bass back ribs,.... Again.
    Hopefully the weather eases up for tomorrows cook

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Hi All,

Long time lurker here hoping for some ideas.

Some friends and I have started a "steak club" - we get some meat, throw it on the (gas) bbq and drink a few beers.

To date we've cooked a couple of fillets (between 1 & 2 kg) and recently we picked up a fairly decent sized rib eye on the bone.

Generally we get something like chicken wing/ribs to use as starters.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any tips or ideas for someone with limited skills (although hopefully learning) to try and change it up a bit.

• Advertisement

thejaguar wrote: »
    Hi All,

Some friends and I have started a "steak club" - we get some meat, throw it on the (gas) bbq and drink a few beers.

To date we've cooked a couple of fillets (between 1 & 2 kg) and recently we picked up a fairly decent sized rib eye on the bone.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any tips or ideas for someone with limited skills (although hopefully learning) to try and change it up a bit.

Hi. You need a charcoal BBQ for it but a reverse seared double thick rib eye is the business. Check it out on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Does anyone have one of those dual fuel Aldi BBQs? Any opinions? I like the flexibility of selecting the fuel to use depending on how much time I have. I wouldn't be a BBQ coniseure

Hi All,

I think a temperature probe is essential for BBQ steak.

Yes and very handy for all sorts of meat too.

Also, very handy if using this to cook your chicken- a normal sized bird will cook in about 45-50 mins own the BBQ using device below so worth using the thermometer to check to make sure

Can recommend this contraption but probably available cheaper elsewhere. :cool:

https://www.newlands.ie/weber-poultry-roaster-infusion-077924018145/77298/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYjQ9JXs4gIVTLDtCh1t_g6oEAQYAyABEgKJl_D_BwE

I usually stick the prob in the steak,
    Set the temp for medium rare (60c).
    Cook till it reads 30c then flip till 60c.
    Always perfect for ribeyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Any recommendation for a good temperature probe?

Any recommendation for a good temperature probe?

I can only recommend the one I have.
    The beep when you press a button is extremely annoying .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-Wireless-Thermometer-Temperature-Batteries/dp/B07CVDVTBN/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ThermoPro%2BTP&qid=1556028478&s=sports&sr=8-1&th=1

If you take a picture of you using it and tag them on instagram they will send you one of these free of charge too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-Instant-Thermometer-Stainless-Included/dp/B01LXI5HYH

-Anyone can tag them and get the free probe.they didnt ask for any proof of purchase.I tagged them and they send me a DM looking for my address and the probe followed 4/5 weeks later from singapore .

Here is my plan for my beef cheeks next weekend.

https://www.perthbbqschool.com/blog/beef-cheeks

can't wait !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Here is my plan for my beef cheeks next weekend.

https://www.perthbbqschool.com/blog/beef-cheeks

can't wait !

Looks like a winner.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭blue note

I can only recommend the one I have.
    The beep when you press a button is extremely annoying .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-Wireless-Thermometer-Temperature-Batteries/dp/B07CVDVTBN/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ThermoPro%2BTP&qid=1556028478&s=sports&sr=8-1&th=1

If you take a picture of you using it and tag them on instagram they will send you one of these free of charge too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-Instant-Thermometer-Stainless-Included/dp/B01LXI5HYH

-Anyone can tag them and get the free probe.they didnt ask for any proof of purchase.I tagged them and they send me a DM looking for my address and the probe followed 4/5 weeks later from singapore .

Score! I just bought one of those. Think I'm going to have my first Instagram post now to get the free instant read probe!

Advertisement