Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

neris wrote: »
    i have this one. it does the job but a pain in the ass with the alarm and its screeching

On the thermo pro I smashed a load of modeling clay into the speaker hole and its still too loud.
    Been meaning to fit a switch/pot on the speaker but havent gotten around to it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Saw a beautiful bbq set whilst on holidays in Marina de Venecia only just last week. Never got the name of the set, and I never thought of taking a photo and buying it when I got home. Beautiful wooden handles on them, with a heavy duty case. Was only 30 quid too. And to think of the quality of the year were are sold, and fleeced with.

Don't suppose anyone is heading that was this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

On the thermo pro I smashed a load of modeling clay into the speaker hole and its still too loud.
    Been meaning to fit a switch/pot on the speaker but havent gotten around to it.
    I think you have to stop the ability for it to function correctly, i.e. stop it being able to vibrate or whatever the term is, did you just cover the hole? I have a noisy device and taped over the hole but it did not do much, I then stuffed tissue paper into the speaker which I believe stopped it physically being able to move and create as much sound.

It looked something like this
    s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

This grill kit is €20 on littlewoods at the moment for anyone interested. Bricks I got second hand for €50, just normal ones, no need for fire bricks as it's an open grill. U1KJ5LB

https://imgur.com/U1KJ5LB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

macnug wrote: »
    This grill kit is €20 on littlewoods at the moment for anyone interested. Bricks I got second hand for €50, just normal ones, no need for fire bricks as it's an open grill.

Any link for littlewoods - I couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

thejaguar wrote: »
    Any link for littlewoods - I couldn't find it.

Sorry I thought I put it in.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/built-in-charcoal-bbq/1600199579.prd

Just got a call from the butcher to say my beef cheeks are in.
    Exciting times.
    roll on the weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Absolute bag of ****e. Bought 2 of these yesterday and burns way to quick into a mass of ash and poor heat

20190621-202234.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

neris wrote: »
    Absolute bag of ****e. Bought 2 of these yesterday and burns way to quick into a mass of ash and poor heat

20190621-202234.jpg
    I only use weber, find they burn the longest and are consistent bag to bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Am I right thinking you get much higher heat with lumpwood?

I’m doing pizza so want high heat inside the kettle but don’t want the pizza stone directly over the coals as then the base cooks to quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Doing pizza next weekend. I bought a bag of briquettes from Lidl and was thinking I'd just fire the whole bag in and it would get hot enough. Having second thoughts about that now and thinking maybe I should stick with my good lumpwood.

Just transferred 4 beef cheeks into 4 "boats" of Guinness and brown sugar.
    They look absolutely savage already (3 hours slow cook).
    3 more hours in the Guinness boats and then another hour wrapped in foil.
    They were fairly intimidating coming out of the butchers bag. Never seen a cut with so much blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Just transferred 4 beef cheeks into 4 "boats" of Guinness and brown sugar.
    They look absolutely savage already (3 hours slow cook).
    3 more hours in the Guinness boats and then another hour wrapped in foil.
    They were fairly intimidating coming out of the butchers bag. Never seen a cut with so much blood!

Did they smell at all coming out of the bag?

Belfunk wrote: »
    Did they smell at all coming out of the bag?

Well, I have to say I'm fairly disappointed with them.
    Great texture, lovely bark and all but the flavor of beef was just too intense.
    It's not what I expected at all,
    Obviously it is beef but it's so beefy it's insane!
    Don't think I'll try them again, stick to pork for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What did you have them with? Cheeks and mash is my idea of heaven. Although I just braise them, wouldn't fire up the BBQ for them

Just some rost spuds.
    Cheeks were on for 7 hours in the kamado.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Success !

Had a few of the single beef short ribs left from my last attempt. This time made a deadly rub and tried to cook at 240F for 3 hours, wrapped them for further 1 hour. Used some hickory chips early on to give a nice smokeiness. They were fantastic. Melt in your mouth. Very pleased.

Trick is definitely controlling temps. Whats the best way to do this? As early on in the cook, I was finding it hard to keep the heat low. As it progressed, maybe after about the 1st 45 minutes, I found it a lot easier using the vents etc. I have a meat probe digital temperature thing which is great for telling me internal temps of various meats, but can i use this to accurately tell me the temp of the BBQ by just leaving it on the rack? This is what i was doing yesterday as I was led to believe the temp gauge supplied with most BBQs are pants, but I'm not sure if it was just pot luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Double probe thermometer is a must when cooking low and slow. I have a Thermopro youll find them on amazon or ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - I have only ever used Weber briquettes. Running out at the moment. Live in a small town in West Cork... in case i am unable to get hold of Weber briquettes - what are next best alternatives do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Honestly, if you're used to them, it's worth sticking in an online order for more - most local stores doing briquettes aren't selling ones near the quality of Weber. You could find lump wood charcoal, but cooking times and temps will be different from briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Order off Weber directly

oooh... what luck, walked into the main big store in the city that I work in, looking for a replacement smoke alarm and saw new display section for Weber, picked up 2 bags of briquettes and a bag of firelighters. Happy days. Only thing was that these firelighters look different from the ones that I had bought with the Weber kettle (online from Orchard)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Debub wrote: »
    oooh... what luck, walked into the main big store in the city that I work in, looking for a replacement smoke alarm and saw new display section for Weber, picked up 2 bags of briquettes and a bag of firelighters. Happy days. Only thing was that these firelighters look different from the ones that I had bought with the Weber kettle (online from Orchard)
    Are they the white cubes?

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Are they the white cubes?

The ones that I had before

the ones that i have now:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

From my experience the Weber stuff is a bit of a rip off. Paying for the brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Dont waste your money on lighter cubes.
    Buy the cheapest firelighters in any shop and they do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

The Nal wrote: »
    From my experience the Weber stuff is a bit of a rip off. Paying for the brand name.
    This is definitely true for things like accessories but as regards the actual BBQ's themselves, Weber manufacture a very high quality product especially so in the Charcoal area.

They have a lot of high class and in a lot of cases better value competitors in the gas grill market however but for kettle charcoal grills there is no equal as far as I am concerned.

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »
    This is definitely true for things like accessories but as regards the actual BBQ's themselves, Weber manufacture a very high quality product especially so in the Charcoal area.

They have a lot of high class and in a lot of cases better value competitors in the gas grill market however but for kettle charcoal grills there is no equal as far as I am concerned.

and (tho I have not used any other) the briquettes hold the temp for a really long time and I am quite happy with them - I have been told that they are definitely better than the usual local supermarket stuff and are worth the little bit extra money if you are doing the long cooks... might not make so much of a difference for the short grills maybe

Advertisement