Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭Markcheese

paska wrote: »
    Anyone got a good homemade rub receipt?

What are you rubbing?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Markcheese wrote: »
    What are you rubbing?

I have a full belly of pork on the bone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

paska wrote: »
    I have a full belly of pork on the bone.

Perfect on all pork

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

:eek:

Got it up to 350°C and it cracked. :(

Still usable though. Problem was while the base was perfect and crispy after 5 minutes, the top was not cooked enough. 2/3 minutes under a hot grill sorted that little issue.

Good pizza. And the stone will live to see another day. :)

Ah feck!

Yeah the 4cm thick granite seems to be the right job. Base and top cooked at same time and no cracking. Weighs a lot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

budgemook wrote: »
    Ah feck!

Yeah the 4cm thick granite seems to be the right job. Base and top cooked at same time and no cracking. Weighs a lot though!

I think the top temperature is dictated by the bbq. As soon as you lift the lid, whoosh heat is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brian? wrote: »

that calls for rosemary powder, I just put the dry spices in a blender and it powders them. It would also turn sugar into a fine powder, which may not be wanted.

They mention garlic powder, not sure if people here use that. I have given up buying the powder as it is so nasty to work with. You open a pack or jar and either plumes of "garlic smoke" come out or else it has absorbed moisture from the air and is rock solid. Instead I use garlic granules which are in most supermarkets now.

I wondered if they really were using properly powdered garlic in the US as so many recipes call for it, checking on Walmarts site nearly all the images I see of "garlic powder" are what I would call garlic granules.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=garlic+powder

I think the top temperature is dictated by the bbq. As soon as you lift the lid, whoosh heat is gone.

I cook on a Kamado which is fairly good for keeping the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Off topic.... what should I cook tonight after this great day of sunshine. ???

I can shop in Tesco, Aldi or Lidl where I live. What would you suggest???

I am thinking of the Aldi Steak burgers and buns etc. That's my 'go to' BBQ favourite but am getting tired if that. Looking to try something new for family of 4 adults!!

What your best BBQ menu ?

Thoughts...

Masala wrote: »
    Off topic.... what should I cook tonight after this great day of sunshine. ???

I can shop in Tesco, Aldi or Lidl where I live. What would you suggest???

I am thinking of the Aldi Steak burgers and buns etc. That's my 'go to' BBQ favourite but am getting tired if that. Looking to try something new for family of 4 adults!!

What your best BBQ menu ?

Thoughts...

Going for a spatchcock chicken myself with Asian marinade. Was between that and chicken thighs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

rubadub wrote: »
    that calls for rosemary powder, I just put the dry spices in a blender and it powders them. It would also turn sugar into a fine powder, which may not be wanted.

They mention garlic powder, not sure if people here use that. I have given up buying the powder as it is so nasty to work with. You open a pack or jar and either plumes of "garlic smoke" come out or else it has absorbed moisture from the air and is rock solid. Instead I use garlic granules which are in most supermarkets now.

I wondered if they really were using properly powdered garlic in the US as so many recipes call for it, checking on Walmarts site nearly all the images I see of "garlic powder" are what I would call garlic granules.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=garlic+powder

Rosemary powder: I grind dried rosemary with some salt in a pestle and mortar. I don’t grind the final mix, doesn’t need it.

I use garlic powder from an Asian shop that’s almost as fine as flour. Works just fine.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Quick smoke on the WSM tonight, chicken thighs and wings rubbed with Angus and Oinks The General cooked over charcoal and apple wood for 2 hrs. Water pan removed and used residual heat to crisp the skin, then tossed in Alabama white sauce and some in BBQ sauce. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Hey all, bought a Weber Master touch after getting addicted to watching american youtubers smoking everything over the last few months. I have a few questions if people could help;

1 - What charcoal should I be using? I bought the cheap Lidl bags which seem to be working fine so far but is there an upgrade?

2 - I can only find applewood chips in Dealz - is there a source for chunks of oak or applewood for smoking? I contacted a place in Trim who can sell me kiln dried oak which Im considering for beef cooks.

3 - What pork rib cut should I be asking for in butchers? Ive tried three butchers who have each given me three different cuts non of which look remotely like the american BBQ videos Im addicted to :D

Cheers All

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I don't know much about this stuff - more of a lurker here - but I did see a fair amount of wood blocks and wood chips (all branded Weber I think) in Jones garden centre in Donabate just this weekend.

Cheers yea - Ive found the Weber branded suff around but imagine and hope there is better non branded stuff i can get for cheaper.

I wouldn't be a fan of the lidl charcoal, used it recently for a quick cook and there was a funny smell off it.

The crowd in Trim, is that woodfuel.ie? The oak they have is firewood so too big unless you want to chop it up but they do have great charcoal.

I get charcoal and smoking wood off a lad who drives up to Dublin from Galway. He advertises by contacting people on a BBQ forum on Facebook or at least that's how I found him / he found me. It's 24 euros for a good big bag but it's great stuff that can be used over and over. He has good smoking wood too. Before him I got plenty of smoking wood off Amazon - Dealz and places like that tend to have chips but you want chunks.

All that said most of the big hardware's stock Weber charcoal and it's good stuff too.

Great thanks for your reply - can you send me that facebook groups name please?

Yes it was woodfuel.ie - I assume this is the good charcoal they have? https://woodfuel.ie/product/charcoal-12kg/ Ive seen that stuff in a few other places too.

How about rib cuts, is there anywhere in Dublin you can recommend as a supplier? What Ive gotten so far haven't had a lot of meat on the bones or Ive been given belly rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hey all, bought a Weber Master touch after getting addicted to watching american youtubers smoking everything over the last few months. I have a few questions if people could help;

1 - What charcoal should I be using? I bought the cheap Lidl bags which seem to be working fine so far but is there an upgrade?

2 - I can only find applewood chips in Dealz - is there a source for chunks of oak or applewood for smoking? I contacted a place in Trim who can sell me kiln dried oak which Im considering for beef cooks.

If you are going to go for long cooks / smoking, Weber Briquettes are one of the best and they have bags of smoking wood chunks as well. Charcoal I have found (in my limited experience) is very good for grilling - high heat intense grilling like steaks / burgers etc, but for low n slow long smokes - briquettes works best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Streaky Bacon
    Bananas
    Toothpicks

Get a streaky rasher (1 inch wide) cut banana to match.
    Roll it up
    Stick two picks through it like a X

Use the picks to turn, leave them on for ages.

Sweet salty goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I buy bags of oak from woodfuel.ie (assume that's the place you're on about) for my low and slow cooking. They now supply it well chopped, ideal for most BBQ purposes, but I think it would still be too bulky for your Weber master touch.

Do what I did - invest in an axe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

How about rib cuts, is there anywhere in Dublin you can recommend as a supplier? What Ive gotten so far haven't had a lot of meat on the bones or Ive been given belly rib.

Omahony meats in coolock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Racks of spare ribs are not universal here. Baby backs much more common. Either way you want meat on them. A baby back with meat is SO MUCH BETTER than the pathetic little things one often sees where it's really just a light veneer of meat on top of an all-too-visible bone.

A good move for a decent rack of spare ribs might be to go to your butcher and ask him to bring out the entire rib rack and belly. The whole thing. Skin on. Get them to trim it how you like. You can then get as much meat left on the ribs as you want. They might ask you to buy the whole thing, but that's not a problem. Just means lots of skin and belly meat to be frozen (they both freeze excellently) or used for other barbecue deliciousness.

And then your butcher will know what you're looking for next time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Hi. As a newbie to smoking meat is the little smoker that home store and more are selling worth buying or good value?
    I already have a gas bbq so im buying purely for trying out smoking and all it involves
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

No - It leaks smoke everywhere and the metal is too thin to hold any heat.

If you want to bbq properly then you need to invest in a good model. It will last you a lifetime if you look after it so well worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

this https://www.nisbets.ie/big-k-lumpwood-charcoal-10kg/cm826

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Pork spare ribs is what youre looking for make sure not to get bacon ribs they are too salty.
    If youre anywhere near Cabra Ethersons butchers are very good i used to get all my meat there when i worked near it.

davegilly wrote: »
    No - It leaks smoke everywhere and the metal is too thin to hold any heat.

If you want to bbq properly then you need to invest in a good model. It will last you a lifetime if you look after it so well worth the investment.

Thanks dave, is there any recommendations for beginners or do i need to go and do ny own research?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Thanks dave, is there any recommendations for beginners or do i need to go and do ny own research?

Cant go wrong with weber kettle its expensive but will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Yea, Weber really is the best, by a long way when it comes to kettle charcoal BBQs. There are various others like Kamados etc which are superior but at castle higher prices.
    Another good brand, especially if you want a smoker is a ProQ. Get the big one and you can use it as a BBQ as well when you remove the stackers.

I have a Broil King Monarch 320 (Gas), a Weber Mastertouch (Kettle BBQ) and a ProQ Frontier (Smoker) - The gas BBQ hasn't been turned on in well over a year and might never again be turned on. The Weber is used a few times a week and the ProQ is used about once every 6 weeks. If I had my time over again I would but a Kamado type ceramic grill which is the best of the lot and does everything the others do combined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Great thanks for your reply - can you send me that facebook groups name please?

Yes it was woodfuel.ie - I assume this is the good charcoal they have? https://woodfuel.ie/product/charcoal-12kg/ Ive seen that stuff in a few other places too.

Using that resturaunt grade from aroomoutisde. Good tack!

Advertisement