Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Also have yet to find good meaty spare ribs. I go to Ethersons and find them great but the ribs were like most places. I might have a chat with Seamus next time to get a custom cut - he's done that for me before for the porchetta cut. I've no problem buying the belly off him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

BailMeOut wrote: »

The Range sell that for half that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Thanks dave, is there any recommendations for beginners or do i need to go and do ny own research?

Howdy. I posted this a year back. It's oversimplified but people seemed to find it useful. So I'm reposting. This is about kettle and kamado, but could equally be flipped around to be about a WSM/ProQ smoker vs kamado.

MODS IF THIS REPOSTING AIN'T COOL LET ME KNOW.

Hi. In terms of recommendations, it really depends on what you enjoy cooking and how often you'll use it.

For example, if you know that your gateway to bbq happiness is grilling a steak outside on a whim some evening then just get a gas one. They are quick to light and entirely predictable. You will be very happy indeed.

Message: you do not have to use charcoal. But if you want to use charcoal, read on.

Firstly, in my opinion when it comes to barbecue it is worth spending money on a reliable brand. Get something that will last. Charcoal BBQs, especially when combined with various fuels and weather conditions (esp. here in Ireland) kind of have their own personality. You need to get to know them. So I reckon it's worth getting something halfway decent to make it worth putting in that time investment.

Now when it comes to what type, you have LOADS of options. But in the interests of simplicity I'll put forward two options: the kettle, and the kamado. I'll completely ignore things like an offset smoker.

KETTLE
    A kettle BBQ is your traditional metal flying-saucer shaped thing on legs. This is what loads of people have out in the back garden, sometimes (sadly) rusting away. Do not bother purchasing a cheap yoke. Get a Weber. You're not just paying for the name - they're made of very good stuff. Learn how to use it. You can grill anything you like on these for years and years, and with a little extra effort you can do low and slow.

KAMADO
    This is a ceramic barbecue, essentially like a giant bit of glazed pottery into which you lob charcoal. Two very popular brands of Kamado are Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe. The ceramic walls mean that they are very well insulated, making it very easy to maintain a consistent temperature. This is particularly useful for low and slow.

The clever thing about a Kamado, however, is that you can also grill just like on a kettle. In fact when you open all the vents you can get savagely, savagely high temps with a Kamado.

This versatility comes at a cost: a Kamado is expensive. I sometimes see "budget" versions of these advertised but they can have pitifully short guarantees - not a good sign.

If you are an enthusiast about food, and barbecue as cooking form, and low and slow in particular, and if you have access to €1000+, then you will get value from a Kamado. A Kamado Joe comes with more as standard than a Big Green Egg, and I recommend searching UK sites and shipping in rather than relying on Irish suppliers. (there are other Kamado manufacturers than just those two)

If you aren't as fussed about cooking food for five, eight or twelve hours (or longer!!) then get a Weber kettle. Recommend models that feature the ash catching pan and hinged cooking grate. You will not regret the purchase, and if you decide that you want to do pulled pork or brisket you *will* be able to do it just with a bit more effort.

This next bit is not meant to be patronising - I say it in all sincerity. Whatever you go with, you're cooking over live coals. Successful and happy barbecuing involves developing a healthy respect for fire, and investing time in learning how to control it: how to get things up to temp, how to maintain consistent temp, and how to reduce temp. Much barbecue misery and stress is caused by people simply not willing to put in this time, or not even realising that they should do so. But having done so it is a skill that is lifelong and will give back many times over.

Finally, as mentioned, if you know that your route to outdoor cooking happiness is simply to have the ability to grill outside as a last minute thing then I'd seriously consider going with gas.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Dingbat.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JohnnyB23

I have used Woodfuel.ie's Nam Chat briquettes and the restaurant grade lumpwood. I've found both very good.
    I haven't had much luck getting meaty ribs either. I tend to get a pork shoulder instead.
    I'd be interested to get the name of that BBQ Facebook group also please.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Try Sherwood’s for Ribs, they now deliver down south. I’m sure Higgins in Sutton would be able to do the same, fantastic butcher.

https://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/product/st-louis-style-ribs/

Regarding charcoal, I’ve been using quebracho char from GreenFuels.ie, Eddie’s fuel also has them if your in North Dublin. I swear it burns much longer than the Restaurant Grade blue bag, could be that same coal for all I know.

• Advertisement

Belfunk wrote: »
    Try Sherwood’s for Ribs, they now deliver down south. I’m sure Higgins in Sutton would be able to do the same, fantastic butcher.

https://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/product/st-louis-style-ribs/

Regarding charcoal, I’ve been using quebracho char from GreenFuels.ie, Eddie’s fuel also has them if your in North Dublin. I swear it burns much longer than the Restaurant Grade blue bag, could be that same coal for all I know.

How much is a bag off those guys? It is great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

budgemook wrote: »
    How much is a bag off those guys? It is great stuff.

I don’t know to be honest. I bought 3 bags and a bag of olive wood, in and around €80 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Who are the Range and they have 10kg sacks of charcoal for €9?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the nisbets price excluded VAT. I still imagine it is 5kg bags he was thinking of.

Sub total (excl. VAT)€16.99Delivery:
    Free delivery*
    *Terms applyTotal
    VAT€3.90
    Total: €20.89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Is it for a 10kg bag?

They have a few stores scattered around Ireland. £5 on the uk site for 5kg so with generous currency and paddy tax probably €8 here. Just back from France could get a 4kg bag of Webber charcoal for €4.50 there!
    https://www.therange.co.uk/outdoor-living/barbecues-and-accessories/bbq-accessories/big-k-lumpwood-barbecue-charcoal#193389

As an aside any recommendations for a portable charcoal BBQ for camping? Nearly bought the folding one in Aldi today but think I want something with lid. The Weber Go Anywhere looks good compact option but the Smokey Joe seems to a better BBQ. Is there anything cheaper worth looking at?

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-go-anywhere-charcoal-bbq.asp

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-smokey-joe-premium-smoke.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Would anyone recomend IKEA BBQ's or would it be better to go with a brand like Webber https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/bbqs-24898/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

cronos wrote: »
    Would anyone recomend IKEA BBQ's or would it be better to go with a brand like Webber https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/bbqs-24898/

go for the weber, it might cost more but itll be better quality and materials

neris wrote: »
    go for the weber, it might cost more but itll be better quality and materials

Whats a good price for the webber. I assume it's either the 47 or 57cm one of these people are talking about https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Compact-Kettle-Charcoal-BBQ/dp/B00026CTZQ?th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

cronos wrote:
    Whats a good price for the webber. I assume it's either the 47 or 57cm one of these people are talking about

My advice is go for the mastertouch. The hinged grates and ash catcher are very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Sorry, my mistake. It was for 5kg bags.

My advice is go for the mastertouch. The hinged grates and ash catcher are very handy.

What would be the best price for one of those. Anywhere they can be purchased online and delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

cronos wrote:
    What would be the best price for one of those. Anywhere they can be purchased online and delivered?

Not sure i bought mine in dawsons online. A lot of places will be selling off from now on so should be a few deals going.
    Weber seems very expensive when you look at other kettle bbqs but its money well spent.

I bought a kettle in homestore and more it was ok but if i knew then what i know now i could have saved hundred odd euro because i got the bug and ended up buying the weber aswell.

The Orchard in Celbridge usually has good deals on the master touch

budgemook wrote: »
    The Orchard in Celbridge usually has good deals on the master touch

This would appear the best deal I can find. https://www.woodies.ie/weber-master-touch-charcoal-barbecue-5750-1157355

Can anyone beat 300 euro including free delivery?

Is the mastertouch really worth over double the price of the compact one?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Also note that woodies do 10% off your first order if you sign up for their newsletter,a pop up window with the offer normally appears on the site page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

According to Met Eireann it's clear skys all day tomorrow where I live. I'll be smoking pre-roasted chicken. Had that a few weeks back. Yummy!

laros wrote: »
    Also note that woodies do 10% off your first order if you sign up for their newsletter,a pop up window with the offer normally appears on the site page.

Sadly it did not appear to work for me. The code I got for signing up to the newsletter says it was applied but didn't deduct anything. Tried it both on the normal 57cm version and the master touch. The master touch also appears to be out of stock currently.

If anyone can get the thing to apply the discount or has a better deal let me know please. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If anyone can get the thing to apply the discount or has a better deal let me know please. Thanks. :)
    Did you go all they way with the order, up until having to enter a CC number?

over 60s get 10% off in woodies on thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Smiles35 wrote: »
    According to Met Eireann it's clear skys all day tomorrow where I live. I'll be smoking pre-roasted chicken. Had that a few weeks back. Yummy!

Agh! I didn't check the wind speed. It windy today. Hope I didn't send any of yous out. Clear sky's tommorow and low wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Been using a Weber chimney stack to light the BBQ here on hols and it is quite possibly the best thing ever! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Been using a Weber chimney stack to light the BBQ here on hols and it is quite possibly the best thing ever! :)

Lidl/Aldi often have them on sale for a pittance compared to the cost of the Weber ones. But yeah, they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Lidl/Aldi often have them on sale for a pittance compared to the cost of the Weber ones. But yeah, they're great.

I bought one of the cheap ones (can't remember if it was Aldi or Lidl) and after a few uses it fell apart while full of hot coals. The rivets just gave way and the cylinder just opened and all the coals fell out as I was trying to pick it up. I was able to fix it using nuts and bolts and it works fine now, but it was fairly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

anacc wrote: »
    I bought one of the cheap ones (can't remember if it was Aldi or Lidl) and after a few uses it fell apart while full of hot coals. The rivets just gave way and the cylinder just opened and all the coals fell out as I was trying to pick it up. I was able to fix it using nuts and bolts and it works fine now, but it was fairly dangerous.

:eek:

Need to keep an eye for that with my one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Home made burgers last night

20190722-203932.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

This would appear the best deal I can find. https://www.woodies.ie/weber-master-touch-charcoal-barbecue-5750-1157355

Is the mastertouch really worth over double the price of the compact one?

You'll have more control over the smoking aspect with the Master, the compact, you can smoke but harder to control temp and smaller lid. I've a compact purely for grilling but wouldn't rely on it for long smokes, that's in the Smokey Mountain!

Advertisement