Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

If you don't want to pay for the Mastertouch then at least get the Original Weber kettle as the bowl is the same. i.e. much deeper than the compact so better for heat control.

I got the original a few years ago but if buying again I'd probably splash out on the Mastertouch as these things seem to last decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

cronos wrote: »
    Sadly it did not appear to work for me. The code I got for signing up to the newsletter says it was applied but didn't deduct anything. Tried it both on the normal 57cm version and the master touch. The master touch also appears to be out of stock currently.

If anyone can get the thing to apply the discount or has a better deal let me know please. Thanks. :)

Get an OAP to buy it for you on a Thursday, think they get 10% off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

anacc wrote: »
    I bought one of the cheap ones (can't remember if it was Aldi or Lidl) and after a few uses it fell apart while full of hot coals. The rivets just gave way and the cylinder just opened and all the coals fell out as I was trying to pick it up. I was able to fix it using nuts and bolts and it works fine now, but it was fairly dangerous.

i've done my share of starters and yes some are trash
    but aldi had one last year that was way above the quality of others,
    it had a handle like the weber ones

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Chicken dinner

20190726-201702.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mno101

davegilly wrote: »
    No - It leaks smoke everywhere and the metal is too thin to hold any heat.

If you want to bbq properly then you need to invest in a good model. It will last you a lifetime if you look after it so well worth the investment.

I bought this last week...reckoned it was good value at half price (and only saw this post afterwards !!).... I have only "cured" it so far as per instructions...but Dave is correct about the smoke leaking.
    Looks like I will be investing further in a bbq gasket (14.74 stg on amazon) to solve this issue. not much i can do about the thin metal.
    will not be using it to cook until next weekend...will add another post then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not the ideal solution but a welders blanket over it will help keep the heat in

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Had a first go at smoking over the weekend. Used Aldi Smoker. Leaked a bit of smoke but not too bad, but a gasket around most of the edges and that held a lot of it in. Meat came out gorgeous. Also, bluetooth temp probe is the only job.

lLruX6Y.jpg

b4JLUBP.jpg

7qxofVg.jpg

ZzjDg3z.jpg

FlZCU6u.jpg

2udVSvX.jpg

tkaf94i.png

bamayang wrote: »
    Had a first go at smoking over the weekend. Used Aldi Smoker. Leaked a bit of smoke but not too bad, but a gasket around most of the edges and that held a lot of it in. Meat came out gorgeous. Also, bluetooth temp

Nice, what coals did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Dónal wrote: »
    Nice, what coals did you use?

I actually dont know, something very basic. I'd say they came from a local hardware store. Got a bag of small webber smoked chips, though very hard to say if that had any impact on the taste.
    Did chicken wings as well for about 2 hours, but they wanted 20 mins in the oven after to finish them. Came out really nice tho.

I did a full chicken on my kamado on sunday.
    Unbelievably nice.
    A little over 2 hours at 190 .
    First hour and a half covered then I basted it a bit and uncovered it to brown it a bit.
    i hardly had to carve it as the breasts etc just fell off the breast bone.
    I was worried because the internal temp was way up because my guests were late and I wanted to brown it more.
    75 is what the thermopro recommended but I was up at 85/90

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bamayang wrote: »
    I actually dont know, something very basic. I'd say they came from a local hardware store. Got a bag of small webber smoked chips, though very hard to say if that had any impact on the taste.
    Did chicken wings as well for about 2 hours, but they wanted 20 mins in the oven after to finish them. Came out really nice tho.

Chunks are what you need for long smokes, the chips burn off really quickly.

Ribs look tasty as F!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I took the advice here and bought a Weber Mastertouch 57cm GBS Special Edition.

I got it from here for 275GBP https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Master-Touch-Special-Barbecue-Black/dp/B07KW77GB6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=weber+master+touch+57cm&qid=1564612320&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The box had some damage on arrival so Amazon gave me an additional discout that brought it down to 245 GBP. So seems like a good deal. Haven't asymbeled it yet though.

Any suggestions on what accessories to buy and where to get the best prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

cronos wrote:

Best thing you will buy is a thermometer. Buy at least twin probe. I have thermopro check either amazon or ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Wondering if anyone could recommend a gas bbq around the 200 Mark. We wouldn't using it an awful lots só just want one that's practical, and looks well (herself is most worried about how it looks). Any help would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I did a full chicken on my kamado on sunday.
    Unbelievably nice.
    A little over 2 hours at 190 .
    First hour and a half covered then I basted it a bit and uncovered it to brown it a bit.
    i hardly had to carve it as the breasts etc just fell off the breast bone.
    I was worried because the internal temp was way up because my guests were late and I wanted to brown it more.
    75 is what the thermopro recommended but I was up at 85/90

That's way too long unless it was a 5kg bird. Wait until you taste it after 70mins @150c

Internal temp at 65c and remove and rest for at least 30mins. The juice is pissing out as we used to say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wondering if anyone could recommend a gas bbq around the 200 Mark. We wouldn't using it an awful lots só just want one that's practical, and looks well (herself is most worried about how it looks). Any help would be appreciated

We got ours in HomeStore & More when they were on special, still going well. If you wait until end of this month you should see some bargains in the DIY stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I took the advice here and bought a Weber Mastertouch 57cm GBS Special Edition.

I got it from here for 275GBP https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Master-Touch-Special-Barbecue-Black/dp/B07KW77GB6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=weber+master+touch+57cm&qid=1564612320&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The box had some damage on arrival so Amazon gave me an additional discout that brought it down to 245 GBP. So seems like a good deal. Haven't asymbeled it yet though.

If you haven't already get a good digital thermometer, one that does grill temp and meat temp. The dome thermometers on these aren't too accurate

RasTa wrote: »
    That's way too long unless it was a 5kg bird. Wait until you taste it after 70mins @150c

Internal temp at 65c and remove and rest for at least 30mins. The juice is pissing out as we used to say

Will try that next time.
    Any tips for getting a nice brown on the skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Phoenix ones in Woodies aren't bad are within that budget.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    If you haven't already get a good digital thermometer, one that does grill temp and meat temp. The dome thermometers on these aren't too accurate

Any links to any good deals?

• Advertisement

Any good places to buy charcoal at the best price online that can deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

FixitFelix wrote: »

Any links to any good deals?
    What's your budget? Thermoworks are very good.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

I use this and have had no problems

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323397525231

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can anyone recommend me an aftermarket electric rotisserie for a gas bbq? Would need to be “universal”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Will try that next time.
    Any tips for getting a nice brown on the skin?

Tis hard to get a brown skin. I feel it doesn't need. Add some hickory chunks for a nice smoked chicken.

neris wrote: »
    the weber accessories in the shops here are a rip off. cheaper on the weber site to get stuff if you really want but you can get just as good "imitation" products on amazon for a lot cheaper

Any recommendations for good accessories on amazon?

The Range sell that for half that price.

Any links? Do they deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any links? Do they deliver?

Here

Having been there, and done that- I actually won't. Because it's false economy.

I'd recommend the Weber Spirit 2- but ONLY, if it has the cast iron grill plate, not the piece of crap porcelain bars that will rot away in the space of a few years.

It will be about 500 euro towards end of summer, usually with a deal of an additional accessory- but it's worth it because of:

1. Guarantee
    2. Availability of Parts
    3. Guarantee
    4. Good temperature gauge which helps
    5. Guarantee

Your no-name Gas BBQ may or may not survive a few summers- but once something goes, getting parts will be very tricky.

I've been there- I've done that- for gas BBQ',s Weber- but like i said, cast iron grill plate only- don't even consider the porcelain ****e

The Nal wrote: »

Thanks for that useful post. However it's to a UK website and the only one is not half the price of what he was referring to. So I'd prefer hear from the OP rather than this quite useless attempt at humour from about 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me an aftermarket electric rotisserie for a gas bbq? Would need to be “universal”

I got one in homestoe and more a few years back for 20 or so.
    Needed to make brackets to her it to fit my gas BBQ.

Got hit with a massive frireball from my kamado last night.
    A literal hotshave.
    Whole beard, brows and arm singed.
    At least I have a gap between my eyebrows now!!
    Won't make that mistake again.

Advertisement