Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all special request trying to get my hands on a steel or stainless steel barrel. Must have be used for food stuffs before size is 205 Litre / 45 Gallon. Has anybody here sourced one ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

if your looking to make a drum/pit barrell cooker it could be easier just to order from amazon

neris wrote: »
    if your looking to make a drum/pit barrell cooker it could be easier just to order from amazon

Order the barrel ?

Or a complete smoker ?

either

• Advertisement

either

Had a quick look nobody delivering barrels to the Republic. If u have a link send it on. Thanks

Did you come across any barrel links on amazon that deliver to Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

There is a cheap in kilkenny on donedeal who sells food grade barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There is a cheap in kilkenny on donedeal who sells food grade barrels.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20436800

not something youd be cooking here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Alligator isn't particularly nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

Hi all,
    Bought a Kamodo Joe Classic 3 a few months ago and I'm interested in trying some other big lump charcoals. I've only used the Kamodo charcoal to date as it came with it but it can be a bit over powering to the taste at times.
    I've been googling and phoning round all morning to find a decent alternative. Can anyone give me information on where they are currently buying please?

This time of year its very difficult to get coals in any shops. Small local hardwares may have some in stock but your best bet maybe online from Amazon or Weber. You may also get on Nisbets site a large catering style lump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

This time of year its very difficult to get coals in any shops. Small local hardwares may have some in stock but your best bet maybe online from Amazon or Weber. You may also get on Nisbets site a large catering style lump

Nisbets no longer do the restaurant sacks of lump and the lump they have in the red bag is crap. This sack shown below is the best lump I have ever bought and if anyone can find a local source let me know.

big-k-restaurant-grade-charcoal-lumpwood-15kg-10478-p.jpg

a room outside in Limerick may do the large lump that Nisbets dont do any more. I got a bag off them earlier in the year

Ebay have a guy in England who will post to Ireland but it's expensive.
    I can't post the link as I'm a new user :)

a room outside in Limerick may do the large lump that Nisbets dont do any more. I got a bag off them earlier in the year

Thanks for that, I've ordered a bag of the EBC from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

John at woodfuel.ie sells the Blue Bag restaurant stuff. If you're in the Leinster area he delivers as well. Cant remember exact price, I think its about €16 or €17 a bag.
    I use this stuff all year round - some of the chunks are pretty big and need to be chopped up with a hatchet to fit into my chimney but most of it is perfect size. A million times better than the dust and crap you get in woodies etc.

davegilly wrote: »
    John at woodfuel.ie sells the Blue Bag restaurant stuff. If you're in the Leinster area he delivers as well. Cant remember exact price, I think its about €16 or €17 a bag.
    I use this stuff all year round - some of the chunks are pretty big and need to be chopped up with a hatchet to fit into my chimney but most of it is perfect size. A million times better than the dust and crap you get in woodies etc.

Thanks Dave, I actually phoned them today. I'll give it a try as well.

Did an Argentine style beef pizza on Friday night. Was a variation on a recipe I got from a cook book & online. Beef flanks marinated overnight in buttermilk & chimicurri rub left 24 hours then cooked for few hours over coals & smoking wood before topping the beef with tomato sauce & cheeses. Both the online & book recipes said to use milk to marinate/tenderise the meat in but I have heard of buttermilk being used in chicken recipes before so tried that but next time I will just use normal milk as I dont think the butter milk was liquidy enough to cover the meat and penetrate into it. The meat took about 2 and a bit hours to cook and was good and could maybe have taken another hours cooking even though it was blackening up in parts

20191003-185519.jpg

20191004-185028.jpg

20191004-203848.jpg

20191004-205830.jpg

Also made a Kansas City BBQ sauce from a recipe on amazingribs.com Nice bit of a kick off it with a sweetness to

20191004-185836.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

does the lower pH of the buttermilk not help tenderise the meat? (as opposed to milk)

coley wrote: »
    does the lower pH of the buttermilk not help tenderise the meat? (as opposed to milk)

I found it didnt and it just settled also I had the steaks on top of each other in the dish and the buttermilk didnt really flow or seep in between them. One of the reciepes i saw was for an indoor cook and it said to use some of the milk in a tray when cooking the steaks in an oven.

Just received two different types of "Restaurant Grade" charcoal

1. €45 for a 15kg bag delivery included from Aroomoutside.

2. €24.70 for a 12kg bag delivery included from SousVide.ie

Will be interesting to see what they are like given the difference in price.

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    Just received two different types of "Restaurant Grade" charcoal

1. €45 for a 15kg bag delivery included from Aroomoutside.

2. €24.70 for a 12kg bag delivery included from SousVide.ie

Will be interesting to see what they are like given the difference in price.

Nisbets was €26.99 for the 15kg sack (Big K Restaurant Grade Charcoal Lumpwood 15kg) which they no longer do.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Nisbets was €26.99 for the 15kg sack (Big K Restaurant Grade Charcoal Lumpwood 15kg) which they no longer do.

Its still on their site? Is that stuff any use?

https://www.nisbets.ie/big-k-restaurant-grade-briquettes-charcoal-10kg/cm827

these are briquettes not lump.

Anyone ever try these?

Hi all

Anybody try or use the Aldi charcoal? Any good? €2.49 a bag

Thanks

It's probably normal average every day coal they're just trying to get rid of. Always handy to have something around over the winter especially when the snow falls

Used the Aldi charcoal for some burgers. It comes in a bag you can light. I poured it into the chimney. Smoke smoke and more smoke. Great heat that lasted a 3-4 hours. €2.50 a bag. 4 bags in each bag. Worth €10 for some Winter BBQ.

• Advertisement

Smokey as you can see

Advertisement