Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8168391?utm_campaign=11553376&cmpid=COJUN&cjsurferid=200103232340121355%3AGWeQdinRB4UD&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=Pepper+Deals+LTD&utm_source=CJ&cjevent=52322cddf33911e9836200f00a18050e&catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&_%24ja=tsid%3A11674%7Cprd%3A1546795&utm_term=1453124&referredURL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fproduct%2F8168391&referrer=COJUN

Hi all... any thoughts on the above??? Novel item that could sit out in patio all year. Probably the wrong time to be buying this size BBQ but I like its style. In Irish stores at €60 on ordering fir store collection

I might invest and store up in parents garage with all my childhood stuff the motherr wants to keep of me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Which supermarket has best quality rib for cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Butcher be best supermarkets tend to have bacon ribs which are salty or pre cooked & marinated ribs

Masala wrote: »
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8168391?utm_campaign=11553376&cmpid=COJUN&cjsurferid=200103232340121355%3AGWeQdinRB4UD&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=Pepper+Deals+LTD&utm_source=CJ&cjevent=52322cddf33911e9836200f00a18050e&catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&_%24ja=tsid%3A11674%7Cprd%3A1546795&utm_term=1453124&referredURL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fproduct%2F8168391&referrer=COJUN

Hi all... any thoughts on the above??? Novel item that could sit out in patio all year. Probably the wrong time to be buying this size BBQ but I like its style. In Irish stores at €60 on ordering fir store collection

I might invest and store up in parents garage with all my childhood stuff the motherr wants to keep of me!!

One of the reviews said it rusted away after a year- they got a replacement under the 2 year guarantee but not sure I’d be bothered- it’s a bit of a gimmick - check how easy it is to clean- also check diameter of the grill- looks a little small to me in the pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'm planning on putting a fillet (about 1.5kg/2kg) on the bbq (gas) next weekend for a couple of friends who are coming over.

We've done it a couple of times with a marinade (can't remember exact ingredients right now - mustard, worcester sauce, garlic, oil, rosemary, salt, pepper and possibly one or two others).

I wanted to try something a bit different this time around - would appreciate any recommendations.

Just to say - we'll be looking into a better bbq setup and being a bit more extravagant as time goes b. For now, the gas bbq out the back and a few too many beers is the main point. Anything we can do to improve the culinary experience is a bonus.

Masala wrote: »

TBH at that price its probably a piece of crap. You pay for what you get and in BBQ world cheap is normally rubbish. It,ll be a poor grade of metal and coating which will A) give crappy cooking results & B) rust in no time/fall apart. In that style of cooker the Pit Barrell brand is the top so go on to Amazon and have a look at it just to compare price and quality

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'm planning on putting a fillet (about 1.5kg/2kg) on the bbq (gas) next weekend for a couple of friends who are coming over.

We've done it a couple of times with a marinade (can't remember exact ingredients right now - mustard, worcester sauce, garlic, oil, rosemary, salt, pepper and possibly one or two others).

I wanted to try something a bit different this time around - would appreciate any recommendations.

Just to say - we'll be looking into a better bbq setup and being a bit more extravagant as time goes b. For now, the gas bbq out the back and a few too many beers is the main point. Anything we can do to improve the culinary experience is a bonus.

Beef Wellington.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/beef-wellington/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

use a meat thermoneter as you will easily overcook and dry out that very nice and expensive piece of meat if not very carful. I'd first sear all sides on a hot pan using oil/butter for 4-6 mins to get nice crust and colour and then put on BBQ until internal temperature hits 50 degrees. Take off and tent in tinfoil to let rest where the internal will keep going up to around 60c.

If you overcook you will ruin it and should be rare or medium/rare.

I'd serve with a nice pepper sause which you can pick pre-made and fresh at most butchers and supermarkets, creamy mash and haricot verts (steam and quickly charded on BBQ at end).

I BBQ a lot and this is the only meat I would only cook indoors. Way too risky to cook outdoors!

The Nal wrote: »
    Beef Wellington.

This has come up in conversation more than once - it's definitely on the list for further down the road.
    BailMeOut wrote: »
    use a meat thermoneter as you will easily overcook and dry out that very nice and expensive piece of meat if not very carful. I'd first sear all sides on a hot pan using oil/butter for 4-6 mins to get nice crust and colour and then put on BBQ until internal temperature hits 50 degrees. Take off and tent in tinfoil to let rest where the internal will keep going up to around 60c.

I'd serve with a nice pepper sause which you can pick pre-made and fresh at most butchers and supermarkets, creamy mash and haricot verts (steam and quickly charded on BBQ at end).

I BBQ a lot and this is the only meat I would only cook indoors. Way too risky to cook outdoors!

meat thermometer - check
    seared first - check (although we've been looking at the possibility of a reverse sear?)
    Tinfoil tent - check

We haven't used a sauce before now - that's definitely something to consider.
    If I produce haricot verts I'll probably end up on the bbq myself :o

• Advertisement

This has come up in conversation more than once - it's definitely on the list for further down the road.

meat thermometer - check
    seared first - check (although we've been looking at the possibility of a reverse sear?)
    Tinfoil tent - check

We haven't used a sauce before now - that's definitely something to consider.
    If I produce haricot verts I'll probably end up on the bbq myself :o

Reverse sear good too and maybe better.

You always need something green with good steak!!

So for this "Insanely Good Fresh Creamy Pepper Sauce" at SuperValu. You just warm gently and serve, it's delicious. I used to make myself but this stuff is way better.

5391507596550_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I’d cut the filet into steaks and do them individually so everyone gets a good char on their piece of beef. That’s going to be more flavoursome than cooking the whole fillet.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I’d cut the filet into steaks and do them individually so everyone gets a good char on their piece of beef. That’s going to be more flavoursome than cooking the whole fillet.

slice some of it thinly and do not cook at all and make some beef Carpaccio for an apetizer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If it's good steak, no marinade is needed IMO.

Slice into good thick steaks. Season generously with salt, lightly oil the meat and cook on as high a heat as possible until cooked to rare. Eat.

Serve with a flavoured butter like garlic or red wine.

Really anything extravagant you do would cover the flavour of the steak, you want to enhance the beef flabour not obscure it. A good char, maximising the carmelisation and plenty of salt is all thats needed for cooking. Season with pepper when it's cooked to prevent a burnt pepper flavour.

You wouldn't add coke to a 15 year old Redbreast whiskey, the same goes for good steak.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Why the tinfoil tent?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Why the tinfoil tent?

so it can rest and stay warm when you take off the BBQ.

Brian? wrote: »
    If it's good steak, no marinade is needed IMO.

The fillet is lovely and tender but since it has no fat is not full of flavour and why you need to take it up a notch. I'd 100% agree with you on a rib-eye but fillet can be very bland and why 'steak au poivre' is a very popular.

a good rub would sort that flavour out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The fillet is lovely and tender but since it has no fat is not full of flavour and why you need to take it up a notch. I'd 100% agree with you on a rib-eye but fillet can be very bland and why 'steak au poivre' is a very popular.

To be honest, I think it's a bit of a myth that fillet had no flavour. It's not a very trendy cut and I've been guilty of dismissing it, too. But any time I end up having fillet, I've been pleasantly surprised at the flavour. Main problem with fillet, is the premium price it attracts over other cuts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

neris wrote: »
    a good rub would sort that flavour out

Oh matron

• Advertisement

I completely disagree. A well aged filler has lots of flavour, it need to be cooked rare/blue rare imo to really shine.

I’ve norhinf again sauce, it’s marinating I don’t get.

they/them/theirs

so it can rest and stay warm when you take off the BBQ.

I don’t see the point to be honest. Plus it’s soften any crispy back you get from a high heat grill.

Cook for 90 seconds a side. Rest for 2 mins. Eat.

they/them/theirs

I've seen whole hogs been BBQd I've even seen a full cow but a camels a new one

https://twitter.com/marlo95t/status/1189610851034193920?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Wow! I wonder how long he cooked it for and how many did it feed?

^ Wow! I wonder how long he cooked it for and how many did it feed?

Dunno but I,d say those who didnt get fed got the hump

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

neris wrote: »
    Dunno but I,d say those who didnt get fed got the hump

:(:(

Isn’t the hump just full of water? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Isn’t the hump just full of water? ;)

Nope, fat.

I follow this guy on YouTube he does some good skewers & bbq. Some other interesting videos aswell for food and drink. Lamb hearts aren't something you see or hear aboyt people eating anymore here. Though popular with other intestine meat in South America on the bbq.

The video is subtitled, he,s in Georgia

I'm planning on putting a fillet (about 1.5kg/2kg) on the bbq (gas) next weekend for a couple of friends who are coming over....

Just to follow up - in the end we went with a version of this whiskey marnade.

The marinade was excellent - had a lovely sweetness to it. Unfortunately the steak was a little over - probably getting on for medium in some parts. I'm blaming the weather on the night - we were in and out with brollies and rain jackets.

Live and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lollyD75

Hi,
    Im just wondering how it turned put afterwards did you try it again. Sounds lovely but I don't think I would like it to be tough.

Advertisement