Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    BaZmO* wrote: »

The price of Lodge stuff in particular on Amazon UK really annoys me..

I bought a cast iron pot/pan combo in Academy Sports in the US

£80Stg on Amazon UK compared to $35 in the US.

Just a crazy markup.

Now granted , getting it back home in my luggage was "interesting" to say the least , but well worth it!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Having recommended a plancha, I honestly don't see the point of lighting a bbq to uses one. You'd get better heat on a gas hob. You won't get the grilled flavour because you're not grilling it.

Am I missing something?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The price of Lodge stuff in particular on Amazon UK really annoys me..

I bought a cast iron pot/pan combo in Academy Sports in the US

£80Stg on Amazon UK compared to $35 in the US.

Just a crazy markup.

Now granted , getting it back home in my luggage was "interesting" to say the least , but well worth it!!

I've seen stuff like that in TKMaxx a few times. I got a cast iron griddle pan there a few years ago.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Brian? wrote: »
    Having recommended a plancha, I honestly don't see the point of lighting a bbq to uses one. You'd get better heat on a gas hob. You won't get the grilled flavour because you're not grilling it.

Am I missing something?

It would be just nice to do it out side, also when I'm doing them inside it sure makes a mess with all the fat flying all over the place. Regarding the heat I'm sure good lump charcoal will get it hot enough.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    It would be just nice to do it out side, also when I'm doing them inside it sure makes a mess with all the fat flying all over the place. Regarding the heat I'm sure good lump charcoal will get it hot enough.

Ah right, that’s fair enough.

Might be worth trying on top of a chimney starter, I don’t think you’ll get the heat on a grill.

they/them/theirs

Ah right, that’s fair enough.

Might be worth trying on top of a chimney starter, I don’t think you’ll get the heat on a grill.

We'll find out on Christmas morning.....:p:psmash burgers for Christmas dinner. Just ordered the cast iron plate from Nisbets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Am I missing something?
    have you ever made smash burgers? because the smoke is absolutely horrendous! I was saying I carry my hot cast iron pan off the hob and out the back to smash them. It instantly smells of BBQ, a single burger smells like a massive BBQ cooking loads of stuff all at once. I have had the neighbour looking over to see what is going on. The charred smashed side does taste like it was on the hot rings of a BBQ.

You only are meant to smash on one side so I was saying you can flip it onto the regular bars to cook the otherside, as people you are cooking for would also expect to see it being "properly bbq'd". This is why I said you can get away with a small plate, the initial smash & cook is very quick.

The heat will be enough, as you are forcing the meat down when smashing it does not need to be too hot. I was considering getting a small induction plate just for cooking outside but was worried about temp. The induction hobs are temperature controlled and do not get very high at all, but I am pretty sure I saw people online saying it is hot enough for smash burgers and searing steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just reading the smashburger chains technique & temp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashburger#Burger_technique
    Burger technique
    The restaurant's burgers are created using chopped Angus beef chuck steak cut into thin slices. Fast food restaurants more typically use ground beef to form burger patties.[4][8] It also markets its meat as "fresh, never frozen" and the beef is transported in 10 pounds (4.5 kg) portions from distribution sites to restaurants each morning. There, employees divide the beef into loosely-packed meatballs by hand. The burger meatball contains a bouillon-like flavoring and it is also seasoned with a proprietary blend that includes kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic, shortly before cooking. Meanwhile, the burger buns are made using a compression toaster and butter wheel so that they do not become too soggy once a patty is placed on them.[8]

An employee "smashes" a burger in the kitchen of a Smashburger restaurant
    Burgers are produced in a made-to-order format,[8] with Smashburger's signature "smashing" technique achieved by placing the meatball on a griddle heated to 385 °F (196 °C) and pressing it hard using a special tool for 10 seconds to flatten.[43][41][40] Burgers typically are not further pressed after they have begun to cook, as once the patty is heated to the point that fat begins to melt, pressing the burger will squeeze the juices out and cause it to dry out.[7] The technique caramelizes the bottom of the patty onto the buttered griddle and locks the juices into the burger, preventing them from escaping and marinating the burger in its own juices.[8][41] Smashburger's "smashing" technique also lets it cook burgers in three minutes, where a traditional burger can take up to eight minutes to cook.[4] During mealtime rushes, this also means customers cycle through the tables in the restaurant more quickly and each table can turn three successive groups of guests per hour instead of two

So 196C is not high at all.

That temp is so low I am going to have a go doing it on my frying pan but inside and not getting it roaring hot as I usually do, which smokes the place out of it. The pressing of it might be enough to get the decent sear without horrible amounts of smoke.

The other interesting thing is them saying its not ground beef, but sliced thinly.

196C is just 3C higher than the Leidenfrost effect
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect
    This is most commonly seen when cooking, when a few drops of water are sprinkled in a hot pan. If the pan's temperature is at or above the Leidenfrost point, which is approximately 193 °C (379 °F) for water, the water skitters across the pan and takes longer to evaporate than it would take if the water droplets had been sprinkled into a cooler pan.

EDIT: did my burger on a pan after doing the water test and it was grand, and no fear of smoke alarms going off though there was a fair amount of smoke.

I have a stainless steel frying pan and it works quite well doing the smash burgers already, but its hard sometimes to get under them because of the high rim and if you don't have a perfectly square straight edge flipper you can easily leave the crusty bits on the pan and it then goes into a mess that's why along with my cast iron griddle https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-reversible-cast-iron-double-griddle-pan/m650

I got one of these burger flippers to get right under them https://www.nisbets.ie/mercer-culinary-hells-handle-heat-resistant-heavy-duty-turner-large/gg735

Hopefully everything will work out and it'll be a smashing Christmas...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I hadn't heard of the Leidenfrost Effect, but it looks like how - in ye olden dayes - you'd spit on a clothes iron. If it bounced off, the iron was hot enough; if it sat there bubbling: more heat. Maybe hygiene has developed somewhat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Down in Spain for Xmas & new year and have an absolute rust bucket piece of rubbish kettle so decided to give it a try tonight. Some chicken fillets, chicken kebabs & supermarket sausage. Lump wood coal all cooked indirect to start and then direct at end.

20191230-194856.jpg
    20191230-194811.jpg
    20191230-203517.jpg
    20191230-210927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi guys

Is there anywhere in Ireland that does the slow n sear?

Closest I can find is on tbbq.co.uk and get delivered to parcelmotel.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I have a leg of venison on the way to me tomorrow. Have any of you barbecued venison before? Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

https://www.diy.com/departments/weber-bar-b-57-black-charcoal-kettle-barbecue/209995_BQ.prd

Link above is for the UK site but B&Q have Weber 57cm Kettles for €119 at the moment, they had 4 of them in the Athlone branch of B&Q They were €185 originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Weber Connect will be a useful tool for grillers of all skill levels

The app offers the most comprehensive set of grilling features we’ve seen so far.

Not a fan of the tech BBQ thing (ruins the fun!!) but looks good if you're into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Where is the cheapest place in Ireland to get a Kamado Joe? I really want one of these!

Blueberry ketchup is my new favourite thing. Really easy to make too. Basically BBQ sauce but blueberries instead of ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Where is the cheapest place in Ireland to get a Kamado Joe? I really want one of these!

You will find that prices are very similar at all vendors but some will throw in other things free, example shipping or some bags of charcoal. Contact A Room Outside, they are really good and will take care of you.

So it seems no one makes gas BBQs with a shelf for lava rocks anymore. Theyre just plain ol' gas which is, well, shyte.

Has anyone seen any around?

• Advertisement

I see the new Weber pellet smoker is getting a hammering on YouTube & other bbq sites. Seems that it's not all is cracked up to be and has alot of pissed off users.

neris wrote: »
    I see the new Weber pellet smoker is getting a hammering on YouTube & other bbq sites. Seems that it's not all is cracked up to be and has alot of pissed off users.

Oh yeah? Any of the reviews I saw looked good. But they were early reviews? What are they saying?

I've issues with the digital over precise BBQ thing anyway. Anything more than 1 meat thermometer is joyless stuff. Digital displays, phones, apps, reminders etc. Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

The Nal wrote: »
    So it seems no one makes gas BBQs with a shelf for lava rocks anymore. Theyre just plain ol' gas which is, well, shyte.

Has anyone seen any around?

The homestore and more "specials" which appear every year have a shelf for lave rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

All the initial reviews from bloggers on the new Weber seemed overly positive, but very sponsored. Interesting that normal users aren't finding it great - I was half tempted to replace my two charcoals with it but will be holding tight for another while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Oh yeah? Any of the reviews I saw looked good. But they were early reviews? What are they saying?

I've issues with the digital over precise BBQ thing anyway. Anything more than 1 meat thermometer is joyless stuff. Digital displays, phones, apps, reminders etc. Nah.

Absolutely! Fire, smoke and getting it wrong until its perfect.. If i wanted a precise, digital controlled oven...well, i’d cook in my kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

OldBean wrote: »
    All the initial reviews from bloggers on the new Weber seemed overly positive, but very sponsored. Interesting that normal users aren't finding it great - I was half tempted to replace my two charcoals with it but will be holding tight for another while yet.

Controlled environment it seems, no freezing conditions,no windy conditions, mostly high temp cooks, pizza and steaks to push the straight into sear mode they promised, you would think they would have done a lot more testing in the R and D stage to overcome these issues they are having, grease fires because the drain gets blocked with ash seems like a big no no. Narrow hopper at the rear doesnt self feed pellets unlike a large hopper.

Like you, i was seriously tempted, but will now wait a few months or even look at the tried and tested brands.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

neris wrote: »

Saw a video last night about huge temp variance between right and left side of the grill.

Was looking into pellet smokers as a quicker, easier option than firing up the kamado. Think a Traeger might be a better option, rather than going for Weber's first attempt.

It's been nicknamed the Weber Greasefire. A few people have had issues with it catching fire on low and slow temps because of the fat run off tray. The pellet feeder doesn't work properly feeding pellets into the fire and ash from burnt pellets ends up blowing round the cook chamber. Also issues with wifi and firmware

One of the YouTube review I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Hello all...... anyone have a source for charcoal this time of year? I mean briquettes..... I usually can find lumpwood in local Polish shops, but briquettes are a nightmare to locate. I had a winter supply...... emphasise 'had' :-)

Cheers to all in advance

• Advertisement

Woodies. Or online from nisbets or weber

Advertisement