Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

fitz wrote: »
    My steak of choice for grilling is striploin. Ribeye is overrated imo.

Put a pork shoulder on the Kamado Joe last night about 9pm, and did not have to go near it until about 4pm today. Smobot has been a great addition. Temp picked up about 6:30am this morning, not sure why, maybe one of the wood chunks burned hot... With my old Thermoworks Smoke setup, I'd have been getting an alarm this morning and would have had to go close in the grate to control that temp spike, but the Smobot just sorted that for me and brought the temp back under control while I slept. It's a brilliant piece of kit.

Shoulder turned out great.

Using the smobot, do you never adjust your inlet opening at the fire box? Just set that, and then the smobot opens and closes the dampner on the exhaust as required?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I am well used to cooking cheap cuts of beef but I got thrown off by the internet post saying it was the same :)

If you Google difference between rib steak and ribeye you'll probably see the same thing.

Anyway, I won't make that mistake again. I've half the steak left there - might throw it in the oven for a few hours and see what comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Speaking of rib, cooked a nice rib roast yesterday on the weber.

IMG-20200322-130323185-HDR-1.jpg

IMG-20200322-152101934-1.jpg

IMG-20200322-154600938-1.jpg

IMG-20200322-181414689-1.jpg

IMG-20200322-191359268-1.jpg

IMG-20200322-191757022-1.jpg

Made a delish gravy with the meat drippings, so beefy from the fat.

IMG-20200322-190230104-1.jpg

IMG-20200322-185936801-1.jpg

IMG-20200322-190415169-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Forgot I had pork cheeks in the freezer till Saturday night. Defrosted over night, seasoned up and put on the Weber with the Slow N Sear. Smoked in a mix of oak whiskey barrell & hickory

20200322-160809.jpg

20200322-164616.jpg

After 2.5 hours in smoke 20200322-182105.jpg

Edible but not very tender 20200322-190226.jpg

Sauced up and ready for braising
    20200322-190408.jpg

20200322-210243.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

bamayang wrote: »
    Using the smobot, do you never adjust your inlet opening at the fire box? Just set that, and then the smobot opens and closes the dampner on the exhaust as required?

I'm leaving the bottom grate open about an inch and a half while the grill comes up to target temp, then closing it in to about half an inch. After that, the Smobot does the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Did some Baby Back Ribs and Thai style chicken wings over the weekend. Turned out very tasty.

I've been doing Baby Back Ribs for the past few years, but saw that a local butcher has big racks of ribs for sale so going to give them a go next time.

Anyone buying charcoal online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Would you consider going onto someones website and then calling them as shopping online? If so then woodfuel.ie will drop charcoal to your door. I get 5 bags at a time from him.

Not at the moment though I need coal but I'm thinking to run to woodies to see if they have Weber coals or just buy a few bags of crappy stuff from the little hardware 2 minutes away. I'd be worried that I'd order online have the order processed & then the courier to close down for weeks

Some sirloins from Lidl last night reversed seared on the vortex. Thermometer was all over the place before the steaks went on. Was giving a reading a reading over 500 degrees F at one stage. Calmed down once the meat on

20200326-192229.jpg
    20200326-202833.jpg
    20200326-203159.jpg
    20200326-203954.jpg
    Screenshot-20200326-201010-Easy-BBQ.jpg

My next BBQ purchase is going to be a proper sear grate to sit in the middle of that grate.

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »
    Would you consider going onto someones website and then calling them as shopping online? If so then woodfuel.ie will drop charcoal to your door. I get 5 bags at a time from him.

Gave them a shout .
    Good prices,I'll make an order next week as I've already missed this weeks delivery .

2 batches of drumsticks & wings on the vortex

20200327-194032.jpg

20200327-203129.jpg

20200327-200624.jpg

I've a kamado and a decent gas bbq but yesterday I was working down the far end of the garden and decided to go caveman for lunch.
    Threw down a few firebricks and had a bag of self lighting charcoal.
    Had a few baked potatoes,corn on the cob and a few sausages and I have to say it was delightful.
    Nice to get back to basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Hi folks long time lurker here. Can I get opinions please on a BBQ coming into ALDI this week.

https://www.aldi.ie/dual-fuel-bbq/p/701099322160600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Comerman wrote: »
    Hi folks long time lurker here. Can I get opinions please on a BBQ coming into lidl this week.

https://www.aldi.ie/dual-fuel-bbq/p/701099322160600

That’s ALDI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

budgemook wrote: »
    That’s ALDI :D

Exqueeeze me ðŸ˜

Maybe it's a sign

Any opinion on BBQ budge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I sooner get two separate ones. Gas is convenient but I much prefer charcoal for flavour.

Good deal here I think. Weber Original BBQ 57cm €160 delivered. I've been hoping for a deal on a GBS master touch but at €300 plus I don't think I could justify the extra money over this model.
    https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-one-touch-original-57cm-black.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ryath wrote: »
    I sooner get two separate ones. Gas is convenient but I much prefer charcoal for flavour.

Good deal here I think. Weber Original BBQ 57cm €160 delivered. I've been hoping for a deal on a GBS master touch but at €300 plus I don't think I could justify the extra money over this model.
    https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-one-touch-original-57cm-black.asp

Will bbqworld deliver to Ireland OK or is a parcel Motel or equivalent required?

They deliver to Ireland £12.95 don't forget 10% code PRE10 I'd included it in the €160 price

That's great had been in the market for one. Picked up a few bits and pieces aswell.

Great spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Ryath wrote: »

Been looking out for a deal on these - they're out of stock at the moment though :mad:

Took a chance on the option to "pre-order" - let's see what happens.

thejaguar wrote: »
    Been looking out for a deal on these - they're out of stock at the moment though :mad:

Took a chance on the option to "pre-order" - let's see what happens.

Looks like Newtown got the last one. I’d think you’re safe enough with the preorder they are a big company so surely will have more stock on the way. Hard to be sure though with the way supply chains have been disrupted. Mine is meant to be arriving tomorrow! Have a 4kg brisket in the fridge already!

Received it this morning. Quick service considering what's going on.

Looking forward to getting home from work and getting a weekend of use out of it now.

Mine arrived Wednesday. Put it together yesterday but didn't get to fire it up yet!
    Plan is burgers this evening and smoke a brisket on it tomorrow.

See it's back in stock. 10% code is gone but it's still a good price at ~ €170 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Mine arrived this afternoon. Pretty impressed with that.

Hopefully get it going over the weekend - need to get some charcoal sorted though - they didn't have any in Tesco today.

I'm sure buying charcoal in Tesco could get me banned from this forum but better that then nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks just wanted to check in to see what the view is on the weber gas BBQs

Specifically either the spirit E-310 or the genesis e-310 are they worth the money?

also do people use the little weber canisters or get a big patio gas canister?

anything thats better VFM? something that wont rust over the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zurek

Anyone here using offset smokers and burning wood instead of charcoal/wood chips? Was wondering if there's any places around Dublin selling logs or splits of apple, hickory for smoking?

I got lovely Olive logs in Drogheda, but a bit of a drive alright.

Thanks

thejaguar wrote: »
    Mine arrived this afternoon. Pretty impressed with that.

Hopefully get it going over the weekend - need to get some charcoal sorted though - they didn't have any in Tesco today.

I'm sure buying charcoal in Tesco could get me banned from this forum but better that then nothing..

if your getting tesco coals get the lump the briquettes are very ashy and quick burning ive found in the past. Pterol station might have coals or if worse comes a few didposable bbqs and tip the coals into the new one

zurek wrote: »
    Anyone here using offset smokers and burning wood instead of charcoal/wood chips? Was wondering if there's any places around Dublin selling logs or splits of apple, hickory for smoking?

I got lovely Olive logs in Drogheda, but a bit of a drive alright.

Thanks

There is a guy in dublin somewhere selling bbq wood. I cant remember what they call themselvs but they are on done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 zurek

neris wrote: »
    if your getting tesco coals get the lump the briquettes are very ashy and quick burning ive found in the past. Pterol station might have coals or if worse comes a few didposable bbqs and tip the coals into the new one

Aby Polish store, if you have one close by, will have plenty of lumpwood or briquettes

Advertisement