Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

In the market for a new BBQ folks but not sure what brand/style to get?

Have a budget of circa €3-400. Any recommendations and what are the essential bits and bobs to pick up along side it?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

In the market for a new BBQ folks but not sure what brand/style to get?

Have a budget of circa €3-400. Any recommendations and what are the essential bits and bobs to pick up along side it?

Many thanks
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=110725149&postcount=2404

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

dingbat wrote: »

Thanks for that. I love my food and will use it regularly but I don't think I'd be willing to spend 1k plus.

Is something like this decent or should I be looking elsewhere - https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8718475877530/kamado-barbecue-grill-smoker-ceramic-76-cm?gclid=CjwKCAjw4KD0BRBUEiwA7MFNTc6_NNsU8qu9DFDiEq2JuBETqDR0OKIhXjyUMO3Q5sfNvEAsNXifyhoCEHYQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks for that. I love my food and will use it regularly but I don't think I'd be willing to spend 1k plus.

Is something like this decent or should I be looking elsewhere - https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8718475877530/kamado-barbecue-grill-smoker-ceramic-76-cm?gclid=CjwKCAjw4KD0BRBUEiwA7MFNTc6_NNsU8qu9DFDiEq2JuBETqDR0OKIhXjyUMO3Q5sfNvEAsNXifyhoCEHYQAvD_BwE

27cm grill plate. That's tiny!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ryath wrote: »
    I sooner get two separate ones. Gas is convenient but I much prefer charcoal for flavour.

Good deal here I think. Weber Original BBQ 57cm €160 delivered. I've been hoping for a deal on a GBS master touch but at €300 plus I don't think I could justify the extra money over this model.
    https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-one-touch-original-57cm-black.asp

I absolutely agree on the final recommendation, but this "charcoal for flavour" is a myth IMO. The best charcoal burns clean and hot, it's a heat source like gas is.

A Weber kettle has far more flexibility than a gas grill.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Beef ribs on the smoker. They're cut different to the ones i used to get in Ireland, but it was all I could get. I'm nervous and excited.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Brian? wrote: »
    "charcoal for flavour" is a myth IMO.

Blasphemy!!!!!!

I would have always said the same until I started BBQ'ing properly on charcoal but the flavour difference is night and day in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Cyrus wrote: »
    Folks just wanted to check in to see what the view is on the weber gas BBQs

Specifically either the spirit E-310 or the genesis e-310 are they worth the money?

also do people use the little weber canisters or get a big patio gas canister?

anything thats better VFM? something that wont rust over the winter!

You'd want at least a 10kg bottle of gas, a 3 burner e-310 would suck one of those tiny bottles dry very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Lockdown query... Anyone know of any shop around Kerry / Cork area selling charcoal or someone that delivers..

I'm travelling from Killarney to Cork each day for work so if anyone knows of anywhere along the way it would be great.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Lockdown query... Anyone know of any shop around Kerry / Cork area selling charcoal or someone that delivers..

I'm travelling from Killarney to Cork each day for work so if anyone knows of anywhere along the way it would be great.

Aroomoutside.ie deliver nationally.

I just got 3 bags of Weber Charcoal from them.

€10 delivery, free for orders over €100 if you are thinking of getting other bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Wish me luck! First smoke seems to be going well. Brisket on just over two hours now. Got up to to 140°C quickly enough. Creeped up to 150°C then. Closed off top vent slightly had dropped to 120°C when I came back from walking the dog so opened again. Holding a steady 125°C now the last hour.

I'll give it another 4/5hrs before wrapping it. I've no thermometer yet so I may finish it in the oven though which does have a meat thermometer.

508368.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭blue note

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Aroomoutside.ie deliver nationally.

I just got 3 bags of Weber Charcoal from them.

€10 delivery, free for orders over €100 if you are thinking of getting other bits

I don't think that's right about delivery from them. I bought 3 bags of restaurant grade charcoal and a bag of Weber briquettes and a couple of other things on Friday and was charged €20 delivery. I think it said it was free over €250.

Weber's own site is free delivery over €50, €5 under that
    https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/charcoal-briquettes-and-accessories/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

blue note wrote: »
    I don't think that's right about delivery from them. I bought 3 bags of restaurant grade charcoal and a bag of Weber briquettes and a couple of other things on Friday and was charged €20 delivery. I think it said it was free over €250.

You might be right..I was charged 10 for shipping, but I'm relatively close to the store (~25 miles).

Think it worked out ok for my first attempt! Tasted damn good. Smoked brisket served with homemade slaw, potato salad and brioche bun.
    508467.jpg

Just over 6 and half hours on the weber using snake method with hickory chips when I took it off to wrap it. Temp did go up a little twice and dropped a good bidt in one heavy rain shower but most of the time I managed to keep it between 120 and 130. Was still enough charcoal left to burn for another 2hours I'd say when I wrapped it. Thought it was safer to stick it in oven where I had a temperature probe. Joint was 74°C going in oven took 1hr 40m @ 110°C to get to 93°C Was still tender and very tasty. Rub I used was from this video

508468.jpg

508469.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Fantastic, well done! You can sleep easy tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Looks perfectly done! Great job.

Can I ask - where did you buy your brisket?

4kg piece from Pallas foods. Good value at 5.90 a kilo. Didn't smoke all of it 500g was minced for burgers and 500g will be going in a chilli. Another 700g piece was sent to the parents in law as we have to shop for them now!

Was pretty lean for brisket would have preferred if it had bit more marbling in it. Beggars can't be choosers at the moment though! I'll try and get one in the butchers next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

2 plates of beef ribs yetserday on the weber with the slow & sear. Used some crap coal at the start which burnt to quick and went very ashy about 2 hours in so had to clear the ash out and put in more briquesttes. 6 hours on and happy with the end product. Probably could have cut some of the meat off the top of the bigger rack though

20200405-110611.jpg

20200405-111736.jpg

20200405-142857.jpg

20200405-180756.jpg

20200405-191945.jpg

davegilly wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!!!!!

I would have always said the same until I started BBQ'ing properly on charcoal but the flavour difference is night and day in my opinion.

I've bbq'd on charcoal and gas for years. I don't think there is a difference. I use wood to add smoke flavour, charcoal us just a good reliable heat source.

I have 2 Weber kettles(compact and One touch), a Weber Smokey Mountain, a Weber Smokey Joe and a mid range gas bbq. They all have their uses, but flavour isn't a differentiator between them.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    2 plates of beef ribs yetserday on the weber with the slow & sear. Used some crap coal at the start which burnt to quick and went very ashy about 2 hours in so had to clear the ash out and put in more briquesttes. 6 hours on and happy with the end product. Probably could have cut some of the meat off the top of the bigger rack though

20200405-110611.jpg

20200405-111736.jpg

20200405-142857.jpg

20200405-180756.jpg

20200405-191945.jpg

Some high quality ribs. I am really struggling to get ribs like that in the Netherlands.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I absolutely agree on the final recommendation, but this "charcoal for flavour" is a myth IMO. The best charcoal burns clean and hot, it's a heat source like gas is.

A Weber kettle has far more flexibility than a gas grill.
    davegilly wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!!!!!

What were you not doing "properly" before?

He is saying when charcoal is properly burning away that there will be little difference between it and gas (presumably with lava rocks or something). You said you would have said the same, before doing it properly. I thought it would be the other way around, people not using charcoal correctly at first, putting food on way too soon and it possibly imparting a taste onto the food -but if you were doing that you would not have said "you would have said the same".

So what were you up to, and what are you doing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Some high quality ribs. I am really struggling to get ribs like that in the Netherlands.

Pitmasterx on youtube has promoted an online meat company a few times, cant remember who they are but im sure if you fire off a DM to him he would reply.

https://twitter.com/BBQPitmasterx?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

How are people getting smokers into the country? Is there somewhere nationally with a selection that deliver?

Are dealz doing those disposable BBQ kits this summer I wonder. Bored out of my brain, wouldn't mind grilling a few of my dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

neris wrote: »
    2 plates of beef ribs yetserday on the weber with the slow & sear.
    Where did you get these ribs? Im in Dublin and struggling to get good meat suppliers for Brisket, Ribs, Beef ribs etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Where did you get these ribs? Im in Dublin and struggling to get good meat suppliers for Brisket, Ribs, Beef ribs etc..

Higgins at Sutton Cross. He was only short of bringing out the cow before they were cut up. They have beef meats uncut so they cut to size/weight you want and they have brisket

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Had planned on buying a decent gas bbq around this time this year but COVID19 is restricting my options!!!!
    Continuing to use my old 2 burner one I got in Woodies a decade ago for 150 euro. A great servant !!!!! Heat shield has rusted away again now though so it is time to replace the whole thing
    I googled buy bbq ireland and buyitdirect threw up a few.https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/the-oklahoma-elite-6-burner-gas-bbq-in-stainless-steel-includes-bbq-cover-and-utensil-set-iqbbq6bss
    Trying to keep it under 300 though
    https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/the-louisiana-elite-4-burner-gas-bbq-in-stainless-steel-includes-bbq-cover-and-utensil-set-iqbbq4bss

That would probably do us
    Generally it will be 2 adults and one child so I would say that would be big enough?
    Quality wise it looks ok too?

km79 wrote: »
    Had planned on buying a decent gas bbq around this time this year but COVID19 is restricting my options!!!!
    Continuing to use my old 2 burner one I got in Woodies a decade ago for 150 euro. A great servant !!!!! Heat shield has rusted away again now though so it is time to replace the whole thing
    I googled buy bbq ireland and buyitdirect threw up a few.https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/the-oklahoma-elite-6-burner-gas-bbq-in-stainless-steel-includes-bbq-cover-and-utensil-set-iqbbq6bss
    https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/the-louisiana-elite-4-burner-gas-bbq-in-stainless-steel-includes-bbq-cover-and-utensil-set-iqbbq4bss

Generally it will be 2 adults and one child so I would say that would be big enough?

It's plenty big for 3 of you. No idea if it's any use.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

km79 wrote: »

Argos also have some available. Don't know how they compare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's plenty big for 3 of you. No idea if it's any use.

Thanks
    Incidentally since I started looking this morning
    And went on online chat enquiring about delivery cost and possible discount code (received no reply )
    3 of the 4 of them have gone up in price !!!!!
    But wary about dealing with them now

If you click on the link the smaller one is now 340 instead of the 290 it was earlier (black one is still same price which is what I’d go for anyway)
    Larger one also increased by at least that and more for stainless steel

Advertisement