Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

There's a 4 burner gas one coming into lidl Monday for 219e no clue how good it would be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Comerman wrote: »
    There's a 4 burner gas one coming into lidl Monday for 219e no clue how good it would be though.

My folks bought that last year - seems fine from what I could see. A little bit lightweight but perfect for cooking outdoors over the summer months.

Presume this is the one:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/green-and-tidy/4-burner-gas-barbecue/p40076

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks the ones in aldi I am not sure on tbh. Not a great selection right now outside of their own brand
    The one in lidl seems to be powder coated as opposed to stainless steel?

Looking back at the original 4 burner one for 300
    It says cast iron cooking grill - is this the best type?
    And porcelain flame tamers_ I assume this is also good as my ones rusted away to nothing twice! But porcelain could break?
    Can not seem to find what material burners are made from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

ijohhj wrote: »
    How are people getting smokers into the country? Is there somewhere nationally with a selection that deliver?

Are dealz doing those disposable BBQ kits this summer I wonder. Bored out of my brain, wouldn't mind grilling a few of my dinners.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Anyone?

www.aroomoutside.ie have some. I think people here recommend them for other stuff too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

How are people getting smokers into the country? Is there somewhere nationally with a selection that deliver?

Are dealz doing those disposable BBQ kits this summer I wonder. Bored out of my brain, wouldn't mind grilling a few of my dinners.

Do you mean in general or during this lockdown?

In general, most decent garden centres will sell WSM’s - or aroomoutside etc will get you something fancier.

During lockdown - best of luck with that for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

neris wrote: »
    2 plates of beef ribs yetserday on the weber with the slow & sear. Used some crap coal at the start which burnt to quick and went very ashy about 2 hours in so had to clear the ash out and put in more briquesttes. 6 hours on and happy with the end product. Probably could have cut some of the meat off the top of the bigger rack though

20200405-142857.jpg

20200405-180756.jpg

Hi - what temp did you hold it at during the cook? do you keep the vents open all the way?
    thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

During lockdown - best of luck with that for now!

Found a few disposables in Tesco today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - what temp did you hold it at during the cook? do you keep the vents open all the way?
    thanks

Try hold in and around 250 at grate level the lid temp gets up to over 300f. Adjust the vents as needed but it's usually adjusting slightly to bring temp drown. Vents top and bottom about 1/3 open. I use the slow n sear so it's not just coals thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ryath wrote: »
    Weber's own site is free delivery over €50, €5 under that
    https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/charcoal-briquettes-and-accessories/

Ordered charcoal and a few other bits from the weber store in the end on Sunday with the intention of it being here by Friday, haven't heard a dicky bird since the order from Weber so I panicked when I saw some tesco charcoal bags tonight and bought one just in case 😬

• Advertisement

Never mind a new bbq I’ve run out of gas for the old one !
    Don’t think the local store stocks the grey barrel either
    We are running a gas job off the yellow barrel
    It’s different gas but a friend said he uses for bbq?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

We had our first bbq of the year today!

It was amazing.

Thankfully we had plenty of gas + we have a good Weber barbecue that has lasted well for last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

km79 wrote: »
    Never mind a new bbq I’ve run out of gas for the old one !
    Don’t think the local store stocks the grey barrel either
    We are running a gas job off the yellow barrel
    It’s different gas but a friend said he uses for bbq?

I use the yellow barrel gas all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The yellow barrel gas doesn't get as hot, so it can be good for slower bbq cooking. The grey one is brilliant for searing steak.

Thanks guys
    That is interesting
    If the local shop will take the grey barrel then I will get a yellow one
    Be a good winter back up for the hob!

I got a load of bags from woodfuels.ie during the week.
    Ring them and they will tell you when the truck is in your area.

The yellow barrel gas doesn't get as hot, so it can be good for slower bbq cooking. The grey one is brilliant for searing steak.

Didn’t know that, thanks Dizzy :)

Didn’t know that, thanks Dizzy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Can I get opinions on this please - https://www.outdoor.ie/product/weber-bbq-master-touch-premium-57cm-black/

Good value? Will I be able to do low and slow on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Can I get opinions on this please - https://www.outdoor.ie/product/weber-bbq-master-touch-premium-57cm-black/

Good value? Will I be able to do low and slow on that?

I have one and love it. You can absolutely do low and slow on it. Also get a slow n sear (or what i have..Amazons copy of it for a fraction of the price)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I messed up and got a piece of lamb delivered from Tesco, wasn't quite what I expected, usually I buy from the butcher and get to point and grunt so it's easier.

It's half leg of lamb, 1.5kg, no bone, an oval shape 6 inches by 4 inches and 3 inches wide. Uniform width

I'd normally do bone in leg 2.5kg ish at 325 until medium rare. Marinaded in lemon olive oil and garlic. Plus salt and pepper. Studded with garlic and rosemary.

Can I treat this the same way? Is it worth cutting it open and rolling it. Was thinking a stuffing of breadcrumbs some mustard or sumac and pinenuts and spinach.

Then 325 (Weber slow n sear) until medium rare plus quick sear at end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I messed up and got a piece of lamb delivered from Tesco, wasn't quite what I expected, usually I buy from the butcher and get to point and grunt so it's easier.

It's half leg of lamb, 1.5kg, no bone, an oval shape 6 inches by 4 inches and 3 inches wide. Uniform width

I'd normally do bone in leg 2.5kg ish at 325 until medium rare. Marinaded in lemon olive oil and garlic. Plus salt and pepper. Studded with garlic and rosemary.

Can I treat this the same way? Is it worth cutting it open and rolling it. Was thinking a stuffing of breadcrumbs some mustard or sumac and pinenuts and spinach.

Id butterfly that sucker, marinade it in strong flavours (vinegar, harissa, paprika, cumin, chili, fennel etc) and get it on a hot BBQ till medium rare. Some nice pitas with a lemon yoghurt sauce or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Has anyone had any experience or even anythoughts on the new Masterbuilt Gravity Grill & Smokers? The initial reviews I have seen are quite positive and it's in a price range that I would be interested in but would love to know what others think?

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560

The Nal wrote: »
    Id butterfly that sucker, marinade it in strong flavours (vinegar, harissa, paprika, cumin, chili, fennel etc) and get it on a hot BBQ till medium rare. Some nice pitas with a lemon yoghurt sauce or something.

Would you do that over direct heat?. Don't have any yoghurt although loads of chickpeas and tahini so hummus and flat bread sounds good.

Would you do that over direct heat?. Don't have any yoghurt although loads of chickpeas and tahini so hummus and flat bread sounds good.

Yeah something like that would be nice.

Direct heat yeah. Lovely charred bits when its done like that. Marinade overnight if possible (personally like making a butter rub with a load of spices and herbs) and then give it the full whack on the direct heat until medium rare. 20 minutes ish. It can take a bit of abuse!

Something like this.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah something like that would be nice.

Direct heat yeah. Lovely charred bits when its done like that. Marinade overnight if possible (personally like making a butter rub with a load of spices and herbs) and then give it the full whack on the direct heat until medium rare. 20 minutes ish. It can take a bit of abuse!

Something like this.

Curtis stone, he makes appearances on my kitchen rules, so does Coles, good show, the cousin gives me jars of garlic from his allotment with lemon and olive oil, tempted to use that as the base. I've had my weber for 2 1/2 years now, yet to grill on it.

Curtis stone, he makes appearances on my kitchen rules, so does Coles, good show, the cousin gives me jars of garlic from his allotment with lemon and olive oil, tempted to use that as the base. I've had my weber for 2 1/2 years now, yet to grill on it.

I've done a dozen or so lamb legs that way on the bbq and they always turn out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Butterfly it and put it in the rub on the link and slow cook it

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/dollys-lamb-rub-recipe

neris wrote: »
    Butterfly it and put it in the rub on the link and slow cook it

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/dollys-lamb-rub-recipe

Meatheads stuff is so good. That's where I go for most of my temps.

This might be a really stupid question but how do I butterfly a solid piece, it's in wrap still but it looks like the very top of the leg, no bone at all. Do I cut in an inch, then around in a circle moving inwards? Or almost through then fold it out, then cut again and fold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Does anyone know if any supermarket chains are stocking charcoal yet ? Couldn't find any in Tesco Extra who would normally stock it. I guess some product lines are impacted by C19.

Advertisement