Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

fitz wrote: »
    Did you check the internal temp?
    It won't burn when cooking that low.
    You need to cook brisket to about 200F internal to let the collagens in the meat break down fully, leaving the meat tender and juicy.
    Below that, while the meat is cooked, it'll still be tough. If you don't have one, a thermometer with probes to monitor both grill temp and internal temp of your meat is absolutely essential for low and slow smoking. You're flying blind otherwise.

At the very least, get a Thermapen or something like that so you can get an internal temp reading.

Unfortunately, there are few low and slow cuts that you can get exact with predicting how long it'll take, and even when it looks like it's cooking at a particular rate and you think you can figure out how long the last few degrees are going to take, it can make a liar out of you. I've stopped guessing when it's going to be done, otherwise I end up with my wife complaining about the fact that she's starving and was expecting to be fed a couple of hours ago!

Thanks that’s a great bit of advise. I actually have a bbq probe that links to the phone, which has two probes on it. I just had both in the smoker, but I’ll put one in the meat next time.

So for the probe in the meat, how long would you want to be seeing it at 225 internal temp before your harpy it’s done?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Did a nice big smoke at the weekend. Chicken, ham, pork shoulder. Then some garlic, corn and aioli when the temp got low. The lid thermometer is banjaxed on the Weber so need to repair it or get another. Used a (possibly) accurate free standing thermometer I found in another BBQ. Was winging it a little on heat but all turned out great. Will be freezing most of it to tip away at.

IMG-20200411-143541.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

bamayang wrote: »
    Thanks that’s a great bit of advise. I actually have a bbq probe that links to the phone, which has two probes on it. I just had both in the smoker, but I’ll put one in the meat next time.

So for the probe in the meat, how long would you want to be seeing it at 225 internal temp before your harpy it’s done?

You want to get the tip of the probe into the thickest part of the meat, into the centre, basically.
    Once it hits your target internal temp you're ready to check that it's done (check temp in a few other places), then pull it and rest it. For brisket, that's about 203F, I usually take pork shoulder off at 196F.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What does everyone use to upload their photos here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I reverse seared a leg of lamb on Sunday in the smoker. Finished off on BBQ - happy with the results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What does everyone use to upload their photos here?

https://postimages.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I took a first run with my Weber kettle on the weekend. Had to wing it a little based on what I had to hand, definitely learned a lot but a few things didn't work out.

I had some old crappy charcoal briquettes. I had to use some rolled up paper and cardboard to get them going. They got going ok and last for a few hours but the temp never really got very high - even with both vents fully open (max was about 130 C).

I've a feeling there just wasn't enough charcoal. Next job is to get some decent charcoal and try again.

I did a whole chicken - it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

thejaguar wrote: »
    I took a first run with my Weber kettle on the weekend. Had to wing it a little based on what I had to hand, definitely learned a lot but a few things didn't work out.

I had some old crappy charcoal briquettes. I had to use some rolled up paper and cardboard to get them going. They got going ok and last for a few hours but the temp never really got very high - even with both vents fully open (max was about 130 C).

I've a feeling there just wasn't enough charcoal. Next job is to get some decent charcoal and try again.

I did a whole chicken - it was amazing.

What are you using to measure the temperature? I have the same bbq as you (doesn't look at shiny now unfortunately) but suspected the thermometer on it was useless. So I put the coals on one side and he meat on the other with the vent over it. So the thermometer is above the coals which means it will always show a card higher temp than the temp the meat is cooking at.

Then I bought a wireless thermometer on amazon for about €45 and it's fantastic. One probe for meat and one for the bbq.

blue note wrote: »
    What are you using to measure the temperature? I have the same bbq as you (doesn't look at shiny now unfortunately) but suspected the thermometer on it was useless. So I put the coals on one side and he meat on the other with the vent over it. So the thermometer is above the coals which means it will always show a card higher temp than the temp the meat is cooking at.

Then I bought a wireless thermometer on amazon for about €45 and it's fantastic. One probe for meat and one for the bbq.

I was using the thermometer on the bbq. I've invested in a termomenter with two probes for next time around. Got one on Amazon for about €25 that I think was recommended on here once upon a time.

I cooked a couple of T-bones at the weekend.
    They were really nice but a touch too long on the kamado.
    Also did some wings for lunch on good friday,delish!

Question for kamado users.
    When you are doing your standard BBQ stuff (burgers etc) do you leave the lid open ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

When you are doing your standard BBQ stuff (burgers etc) do you leave the lid open ?

Generally not. I find I get too many flare ups. Particularly if it someone greasy like burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys.
    Total bbq newbie here - I’ve never owned one before but looking to get one shortly.
    I’ve been looking at maybe getting a Weber original 57cm model which seems like it would be good.
    Anyone any recommendations for something That would still be good but a bit cheaper? I haven’t a clue about various models.
    Anyone used the Ikea Klasen charcoal bbq?

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Nal wrote: »
    Just found an old Hibachi grill I bought for fiver in a flea market a few years ago. Like something from the 70s. Never used so giving it a clean up now for its maiden voyage later. A little bit excited.

So this worked out great. 14 pieces of charcoal and a good 90 minutes heat from it. Got really hot. Meat a couple of mm from the coals too for a nice bit of smoke. I could have easily cooked enough food for 6 or 7 people with it. Really small, clean and economical. And obviously very tasty.

Below pic is leftover peri peri chicken being reheated on it. Also did some wings. Will get a few steaks on at the weekend.

IMG-20200411-WA0013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Depends on if you're trying to cook them or grill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Be careful you don’t burn the gasket off with the lid open. I always use the lids even just for burgers etc on my kettle. Stops flare ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Total bbq newbie here - I’ve never owned one before but looking to get one shortly.
    I’ve been looking at maybe getting a Weber original 57cm model which seems like it would be good.
    Anyone any recommendations for something That would still be good but a bit cheaper? I haven’t a clue about various models.
    Anyone used the Ikea Klasen charcoal bbq?

Thanks for any advice.

Depends, what are you planning to do mainly? Are you planning on long low and slow cooks of big cuts such as pork shoulder, brisket etc. Or would it mainly be for grilling some burgers, chicken, fish etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

connollys wrote: »
    Depends, what are you planning to do mainly? Are you planning on long low and slow cooks of big cuts such as pork shoulder, brisket etc. Or would it mainly be for grilling some burgers, chicken, fish etc?

I'm in the same boat as the post you replied to. So just going to jump in. I like both long and slow but also the normal grilling. It will be outside year around so need a decent fitted cover too. Budget I suppose would be under the 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

well @Milhous you are well above my budget. Could go down the route of a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg.

Personally I have a Weber Mastertouch and absolutely love it. Use it mostly for indirect cooking, great for holding/controlling temp etc. Talking about 300/350 Euro depending on offers.
    I have a cheaper flat grill (no idea of brand, talking like 50 euro) I use for when I'm just flipping burgers, fish etc. Find easier to get a high heat on a bigger surface area when have a flat base rather than kettle shape if that makes sense. Also like to have it free to use if the weber is in use for a slow cook.
    I got an Onlyfire rotisserie attachment also for the Mastertouch (about 100 Euro) so between all that I find I'm more than covered for anything I want to do BBQ wise and well below your budget.

Issue here might be space, I know you said it would be outside a lot so you might not have that space.

well @Milhous you are well above my budget. Could go down the route of a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg.

Personally I have a Weber Mastertouch and absolutely love it. Use it mostly for indirect cooking, great for holding/controlling temp etc. Talking about 300/350 Euro depending on offers.
    I have a cheaper flat grill (no idea of brand, talking like 50 euro) I use for when I'm just flipping burgers, fish etc. Find easier to get a high heat on a bigger surface area when have a flat base rather than kettle shape if that makes sense. Also like to have it free to use if the weber is in use for a slow cook.
    I got an Onlyfire rotisserie attachment also for the Mastertouch (about 100 Euro) so between all that I find I'm more than covered for anything I want to do BBQ wise and well below your budget.

Issue here might be space, I know you said it would be outside a lot so you might not have that space.

Same here.. mastertouch/rotisserie/cast iron grate .... but those kamado joes just look so cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Yeah, just watched a few YouTube videos and the weber seems perfect. On the weber website :
    https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/performer-series/15501004.html

Has a gas ignition but cooked completely on charcoal and a small working area which is great. It's practical and will last.
    Gonna go try and order it, hopefully there won't be an availability issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Anyone a recommendation on where I'd get an Australian style gas hot plate kind of bbq? Not sure on what they actually call them. Have a charcoal weber I use regularly but looking at getting something like this as I had one when I lived in oz and found I used it a lot more. Don't want to spend mad money but struggling to find any

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

duffman13 wrote: »
    Anyone a recommendation on where I'd get an Australian style gas hot plate kind of bbq? Not sure on what they actually call them. Have a charcoal weber I use regularly but looking at getting something like this as I had one when I lived in oz and found I used it a lot more. Don't want to spend mad money but struggling to find any
    You can get planchas for weber bbq like this one here

https://www.tbbq.co.uk/shop/kettle-plancha-for-57cm-kettle-grills/

Where are ye buying coal at the moment? The 2 places I had found it have already run out!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Where are ye buying coal at the moment? The 2 places I had found it have already run out!

I ordered some from the Weber store last week. Not sure it has even dispatched yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

surball wrote: »
    I ordered some from the Weber store last week. Not sure it has even dispatched yet.

I got mine from aroomoutside.ie . Delivery took 2 days for 3 large bags of Weber coals

Lidl selling bags of lumpwood charcoal at the moment for €3.49.

Presume it's not the best stuff and has a definite whiff of lighter fluid off it - bought a couple of bags to have.

I got 4 bags from the woodfuel.ie place as recommended here.
    Ended up selling 2 bags to friends !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

thejaguar wrote: »
    Lidl selling bags of lumpwood charcoal at the moment for €3.49.

Presume it's not the best stuff and has a definite whiff of lighter fluid off it - bought a couple of bags to have.

Yeah I picked up some of it.

It's instant light so small pieces and if adding more during a cook you need to wait a few minutes for the lighter fluid to burn off or you'll taste it on the food.

Not great but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

surball wrote: »

My order from April 5th still isn't dispatched... They're not answering emails or picking up the phone...

Should have ordered from a room outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How do people do wings on the bbq (gas)? I’m always a bit iffy about them

Advertisement