Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

salmocab wrote: »
    How do people do wings on the bbq (gas)? I’m always a bit iffy about them

Depends on the type of wings and the size of them for me. If they're a bit bigger I've been known to throw them in the oven for a half hour before lashing them on the bbq with some hot sauce.

Last couple of days I've had a couple of smaller ones - little bit of salt and pepper and straight on over high heat (gas bbq). Turn them regularly - they can take a while even though they're tiny to get to where I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

25 mins in the oven and then finish them off on the BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

As others have said, in the oven first is probably easiest as they're a bit of a pain.... but if you don't want to that, you need to cook them on indirect heat (away from flame with lid down) until fully cooked. If they're over the flame they'll burn in a minute and will be raw on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cheers all. I’ll have a run at them next week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Don't mind this oven carry on.

Cook them at a medium temperature, indirect with a very small bit of fruit wood.

Toss them in seasoned flour, with paprika, garlic powder, chilli powder and dried thyme.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

Oven is great if you're cooking for a lot of people. Wings take time to cook from raw and you won't have room or time if you feeding a lot of people.

But I like to marinate mine in salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, lime juice and rapeseed oil. Then cook on the bbq indirect with a few woodchips at about 170 degrees until done. Sauce optional. If I'm doing sauce it'll probably be Frank's, butter and honey.

I'm hungry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

These are really good and a bit different from the buffalo or dry rub sort of thing.

Sticky Baked Chinese Chicken Wings

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

kcrpzdyhttps://ibb.co/kcrpzdy

Baby backs 4 hours smoking
    Then a apple bbq sauce and couple of minutes each side on grill

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

Has anybody any insight on the Komodo Bono Ceramic grills i'm starting to see advertised here?

I've a Kamodo Joe but these are a lot cheaper. I can't find any decent impartial reviews online about them.

It's hard to decipher stuff about them on social media as well with regard to whether or not they are impartial.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

On a similar note, does anyone have any experience with a Masterbuilt kamado grill?

https://aroomoutside.ie/products/masterbuilt-classic-kamado

AFAIK it is made by a sister company of Kamado Joe so all of the KJ accesories fit it. It is basically a re-branded original KJ Classic. It doesn't include the divide and conquer cooking system but you can pick that up separately for about €100. Like the KJ, it also includes a lifetime warranty for the ceramic parts.

The Masterbuilt kamado is €799 whereas a KJ Classic II seems to be €1599.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

The Nal wrote: »
    These are really good and a bit different from the buffalo or dry rub sort of thing.

Sticky Baked Chinese Chicken Wings

Had these last night, absolutely lovely. Going on the rotation for a while. Didn't have the hoisin but getting that for next time.

The recipes on that site are fantastic, I make her thai red curry and beef rendang, both really good, her coconut rice works everytime too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

On a similar note, does anyone have any experience with a Masterbuilt kamado grill?

https://aroomoutside.ie/products/masterbuilt-classic-kamado

AFAIK it is made by a sister company of Kamado Joe so all of the KJ accesories fit it. It is basically a re-branded original KJ Classic. It doesn't include the divide and conquer cooking system but you can pick that up separately for about €100. Like the KJ, it also includes a lifetime warranty for the ceramic parts.

The Masterbuilt kamado is €799 whereas a KJ Classic II seems to be €1599.

That's absolutely terrific value.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

If you had a £800 budget for the bbq and accessories. What would you pick? A weber gas and charcoal bbq or a Kamodo?
    I'm just learning how to cook and use a bbq. Used a friend's charcoal one on Saturday and the steaks were cooked perfectly but I see people slow cooking and doing all sorts of BBQ and I want to be able to do that too. I’m a beginner and a kamodo looks more like a thing for experienced bbq people. I’m edging towards a Weber charcoal and a gas one. The gas one for the usual quick mid week meals and the charcoal one at weekends and when I have friends around in decent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    If you had a £800 budget for the bbq and accessories. What would you pick? A weber gas and charcoal bbq or a Kamodo?
    I'm just learning how to cook and use a bbq. Used a friend's charcoal one on Saturday and the steaks were cooked perfectly but I see people slow cooking and doing all sorts of BBQ and I want to be able to do that too. I’m a beginner and a kamodo looks more like a thing for experienced bbq people. I’m edging towards a Weber charcoal and a gas one. The gas one for the usual quick mid week meals and the charcoal one at weekends and when I have friends around in decent weather.

Gas - Broil King Gem - https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/broil-king/products/bk-gem-340-with-side-burner
    Coal - Weber Mastertouch Premium - https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/charcoal-bbq-grill/products/weber-mastertouch-hinged-5770-black-57cm

A little over your budget but sorted for life.

I have similar to above (Broil King Monarch instead) and they are used all the time, 2 or 3 times a week minimum winter and summer. In my opinion, Weber gas grills are waaaaay overpriced for what they are, the BK is multiples more value and incredibly well built. You can buy all the accessories and spares online also if you need them.

There is nothing to compare to the Weber charcoal though. Magnificent piece of kit. The one I linked above is the model with the hinged lid and smoking accessories. This allows you to use it as a smoker quite easily also while keeping most of the surface area. You could get the cheaper non premium model without hinges lid and smoking accessories. You could smoke on it but they way you have to set it up means you would lose some of the surface area. For the sake of €50 over its lifetime I’d get the premium as it has everything you will ever need.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jim Stynes wrote: »

I'd buy an ok Gas grill for around 300, a Weber kettle and use the rest for accessories.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Well I've just finished reading the 188 pages of this thread, excellent reading.

My plan was to just pick up a gas BBQ on offer somewhere but then started reading this thread and found out about all these different BBQ's,smokers etc that I didn't even know existed tbh.

I will be cooking burgers, sausages, steaks, chicken pieces, whole chicken (beer can chicken looks great) and maybe a leg of lamb, definitely want to try spare/baby back ribs on a low & slow. I was initially leaning towards a gas BBQ, was going to increase the budget and get something decent ,but then after seeing what's been cooked here by folks I'm liking the idea of a Weber Master touch gbs/ premium tbh and the likes of the Pro Q smoker is also appealing. My location is Limerick, so first port of call will be to call into aroomoutside on the Ballysimon Road when things open up and have a proper look around and a chat with the staff and check out the various set ups and go from there. Love the idea of the Masterbuilt gravity series 560 or a Kamodo but it's a lot of expense considering I'm only getting started and that's why I'm currently leaning towards the Weber touch the/premium. I'm hoping for an open day when things open back up.

Just want to say thanks to the people who have been posting in here, it's opened my eyes to a different level I knew nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

glic83 wrote:
    My plan was to just pick up a gas BBQ on offer somewhere but then started reading this thread and found out about all these different BBQ's,smokers etc that I didn't even know existed tbh.

I went out and bought a four burner gas bbq years ago it was grand i thought till i decided i wanted to try smoking meat. So i went and got a cheap kettle bbq but couldnt maintain temps either through inexperiance or the bbq wasnt great.
    So i went and bought the master touch it gets used nearly every weekend hail rain or shine for about the last four years and the gas hasnt been used since i got the weber.
    My advice would be buy the weber you get what you pay for mine is out in all weathers and not covered but still like new. Then if you decide you still want gas go and buy gas but once you use charcoal and get used to it its no more hassle than gas. Get a good chimney starter and lighter cubes you will have your bbq going in about ten minutes. Only other thing you really need is a twin probe thermometer and away ya go :-)

I went out and bought a four burner gas bbq years ago it was grand i thought till i decided i wanted to try smoking meat. So i went and got a cheap kettle bbq but couldnt maintain temps either through inexperiance or the bbq wasnt great.
    So i went and bought the master touch it gets used nearly every weekend hail rain or shine for about the last four years and the gas hasnt been used since i got the weber.
    My advice would be buy the weber you get what you pay for mine is out in all weathers and not covered but still like new. Then if you decide you still want gas go and buy gas but once you use charcoal and get used to it its no more hassle than gas. Get a good chimney starter and lighter cubes you will have your bbq going in about ten minutes. Only other thing you really need is a twin probe thermometer and away ya go :-)

Yeah whatever I get will be something decent and intend having it for a while, yes chimney starter is on the list if I go for the Master Touch, I'd be happy enough to go with charcoal , I'm not too far from the city so just want to get in to aroomoutside just to see the set ups in person and will buy then, I've only heard good things about them so looking forward to calling up there. I presume Amazon or eBay for a twin probe thermometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

glic83 wrote:
    Yeah whatever I get will be something decent and intend having it for a while, yes chimney starter is on the list if I go for the Master Touch, I'd be happy enough to go with charcoal , I'm not too far from the city so just want to get in to aroomoutside just to see the set ups in person and will buy then, I've only heard good things about them so looking forward to calling up there. I presume Amazon or eBay for a twin probe thermometer?

I have a thermopro its a little orange set think i got it on ebay for about fourty euro. I bought my weber on Dawsons website it was cheapest i could find at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I have a weber kettle & a pro q and both are great but the weber is more versatile and gets used alot more. better accessories for the weber that you can play around with to. on big upside to the pro q is that you can get alot more ribs on it then the weber

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Am I right to say that Dealz normally sell wood chips in their bbq section? Was in one earlier and they didnt have them on display but thought Id seen them there last summer

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

If you think you might get into long cooks, a kamado is definitely worth the investment. The masterbuilt linked above is a rebadged Kamado Joe Classic v1, which is what I have, and it's incredible. I've never had to refuel mid cook, and have had cooks go for 18 hours. It can get ripping hot, great for caveman size steaks, makes an amazing pizza oven, and is something that you won't be limited by as you learn and want to try new things. Only comment about that model would be that it'd be worth picking up a split heat deflector at some stage so you can have indirect and direct heat set up for reverse searing.

fitz wrote: »
    If you think you might get into long cooks, a kamado is definitely worth the investment. The masterbuilt linked above is a rebadged Kamado Joe Classic v1, which is what I have, and it's incredible. I've never had to refuel mid cook, and have had cooks go for 18 hours. It can get ripping hot, great for caveman size steaks, makes an amazing pizza oven, and is something that you won't be limited by as you learn and want to try new things. Only comment about that model would be that it'd be worth picking up a split heat deflector at some stage so you can have indirect and direct heat set up for reverse searing.

Yeah it's a fairly big outlay though, I'm more thinking along the lines of getting the master touch and learning for a while and try get the most out of it before it progress on, but still ideally want to get into a store and then make a call on what I'll get.

Debub wrote: »

I've got similar
    Its good but the ****ing beeping will drive you insane.
    Every time you press a button it beeps really loudly.
    When the alarm goes off it ear destroying.
    I had to take it apart and the muffle the speaker and its still too loud.

This is the one i got.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVDVTBN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the meantime I've just been pricing around, my local store
    https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/charcoal-bbq-grill/products/weber-mastertouch-hinged-5770-black-57cm
    €379 , free delivery

https://www.theorchard.ie/weber-master-touch-gbs-premium-e-5775-57cm-with-free-cover/
    €385 including a free cover and sear grate, 10 euro delivery

https://www.outdoor.ie/product/weber-bbq-master-touch-premium-57cm-black/
    €369 plus 10 euro delivery

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/17401004.html?cgid=4#start=1
    €399 including sear grate & 2 accessories, free delivery - currently out of stock

This is just for checking where roughly has the best deal (haven't really checked UK), based on looking above it would seem The Orchard is offering the best deal at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

My bro in the states recently got one of these grill guns.

Lights coals in about 20 seconds. Game changer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gitrdone/the-grillgunthe-ultimate-grill-torch

One of the issues I have is how long it takes to get things going, this could be my solution......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gitrdone/the-grillgunthe-ultimate-grill-torch

One of the issues I have is how long it takes to get things going, this could be my solution......
    looks like one of the things ya get to burn the weeds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

a chimney starter, lighter cube and a box of matches does just fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

shanec1928 wrote: »
    looks like one of the things ya get to burn the weeds:D

Yeah.. Not quite sure how a garden blowtorch needs a kickstarter campaign , it's not like there's any product development.

There are a load of those types of things already on the market

Here's one for $40

Advertisement