Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

Hi all
    I got a bag of webber lumpwood charchole - the all nartural blend some time ago.
    Used it for the first time a few days ago.
    Noticed while there was good heat it didnt last that long.
    Would like charchole that lasts for longer cooks say 3 hours +
    advice please
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

Debub wrote: »

It is good , i had it very accurate readings, but dont make the same mistake that i did and think its sender unit is waterproof even against rain, found out pretty quickly its not
    Have an inkbird now which is
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Wireless-Thermometer-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B07KPZK56Z/ref=sr_1_9?crid=HJ86J1HXC8SC&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird+bbq+thermometer&qid=1587656581&sprefix=inkbird+bbq%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-9

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

jem wrote: »
    Hi all
    I got a bag of webber lumpwood charchole - the all nartural blend some time ago.
    Used it for the first time a few days ago.
    Noticed while there was good heat it didnt last that long.
    Would like charchole that lasts for longer cooks say 3 hours +
    advice please
    j

Lump burns hot & quick. The Weber briquettes are great and probably the best ones available here. Used right you can get well over 3 hours out of them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

neris wrote: »
    Lump burns hot & quick.

I wish people would stop saying this as a definitive. Lumpwood burns slow just fine. I've had 12 hour cooks with lumpwood where half the load was still usable for another cook. It's about how you use it, and the quality of the fuel. I've never used anything but lumpwood in my Kamado, and I've never had to top up fuel, even on 18 or 19 hours cooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has anyone got a delivery directly from Weber recently? Ordered some briquettes 10 days ago and still haven't dispatched.

Picked up a bag of Marienburg lumpwood today in Supervalu to keep me going anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Has anyone got a delivery directly from Weber recently? Ordered some briquettes 10 days ago and still haven't dispatched.

Picked up a bag of Marienburg lumpwood today in Supervalu to keep me going anyways.

Yes, I ordered 4 large bags on the 7th of April. They left Germany on the 17th with DPD. They arrived in Ireland tonight. They are in Athlone at the moment. Hopefully I|'ll get them tomorrow or Saturday.

I've only enough for one quick BBQ left!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

fitz wrote: »
    I wish people would stop saying this as a definitive. Lumpwood burns slow just fine. I've had 12 hour cooks with lumpwood where half the load was still usable for another cook. It's about how you use it, and the quality of the fuel. I've never used anything but lumpwood in my Kamado, and I've never had to top up fuel, even on 18 or 19 hours cooks.

I used lumpwood in the Weber Smokey Mountain last week. Lovely 12 hour burn from it.

I think the lumpwood, coal etc stuff is way overrated and over analysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Ordered from them on Apr 12 and no sign yet. Eventually got through to their Irish number yesterday and was informed that all European orders are being facilitated from their German warehouse and delays of 10-15 working days are expected due to the volume of orders that they have received and delivery partner restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

It is good , i had it very accurate readings, but dont make the same mistake that i did and think its sender unit is waterproof even against rain, found out pretty quickly its not
    Have an inkbird now which is
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Wireless-Thermometer-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B07KPZK56Z/ref=sr_1_9?crid=HJ86J1HXC8SC&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird+bbq+thermometer&qid=1587656581&sprefix=inkbird+bbq%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-9

thanks for the tip - I don't think that i will be using the BBQ when it is raining, so will hold on to that for now :-) I am trying to get a shelter done at the side of the house to be able to use it in all weather

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anywhere open in Dublin where I can get wood chips for smoking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

I have only used Weber Briquettes - have held up to 8 hours easily enough on my Weber MT, so they are definitely good. haven't had the need to try anything else - I am a novice anyway. Had to buy a bag of Lumpwood from Lidl yesterday as I have run out (thought I had a bag left over) and will have to order now. Lidl one is the only one that is available in my locality and I need to do steaks today - so for that it should be adequate I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I used charcoal I bought in Circle K and lumpwood from Lidl on my last smoke and I noticed no difference between the expensive Weber stuff.

Likewise, used cheap charcoal on the BBQ and tasted the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Debub wrote: »
    I have only used Weber Briquettes - have held up to 8 hours easily enough on my Weber MT, so they are definitely good. haven't had the need to try anything else - I am a novice anyway. Had to buy a bag of Lumpwood from Lidl yesterday as I have run out (thought I had a bag left over) and will have to order now. Lidl one is the only one that is available in my locality and I need to do steaks today - so for that it should be adequate I guess
    The Nal wrote: »
    I used charcoal I bought in Circle K and lumpwood from Lidl on my last smoke and I noticed no difference between the expensive Weber stuff.

I am using a gas bbq with a smoking box so wonder is that significant?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Nal wrote: »

It shouldn't have any effect at all on taste. On long cooks, Weber briquttes burn longer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

For me, your only man for cooking on a kamado is high quality lumpwood. I've gone for 12+ hours with a single load and had leftover charcoal and I've gotten the temperature up to 450 degrees easily enough for as long as I've needed it. Weber briquettes were not bad at all but not quite as good - they don't last as long and they don't get as hot for high temp cooks.

Cheap briquettes and lumpwood are piss poor. Probably fine for a few burgers and sausages but for any low and slow or high temp stuff, forget about it. I've done a fair bit of testing and always gone back to the good stuff.

BTW - Lidl have a good bit of BBQ stuff in at the moment. The charcoal is not great (see above) but their foil trays and things like that are fine. Their eco firelighters are execellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

budgemook wrote: »
    Cheap briquettes and lumpwood are piss poor.

Brand Ive picked up in Woodies a few times called Barbequick. Their briquettes are rubbish, dont last and just turn into thick heavy ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking advice on a Gas BBQ, have a budget of €600 and was looking between a Weber or a Broil King. The Weber E-310 is €599 (with a free cover) and a Broil King Royal €520

Would anyone have a preference for either?
    Thanks!
    Broil King all day long. Way more for your buck

I made up a pizza, last night and decided to put it in the Webber kettle.
    I'm never making pizza in a regular oven again.

I grabbed some herbs from the garden and soaked them, put them in the BBQ and the flavours were amazing.

Been using it all week.
    Steak with a dry run on Tue
    Homemade spiced burgers on Wed
    Pizza last night
    Grilling some chicken tonight, for fajitas

Made a Lime and Spice marinade for the chicken breasts. Lime, cumin, chilli, garlic, onion granules, salt, cayenne, lemon pepper, olive oil
    In a baking tray tossed some onions, peppers, and mushrooms in herbs and drop of oil.

Whole breasts onto a direct heat and the veg in the baking tray over a hot spot.
    Fajitas were bloody amazing.

Everything this week has been fairly quick cook but I am getting 2-3 cooks out of the coals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

glic83 wrote: »
    In the meantime I've just been pricing around, my local store
    https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/charcoal-bbq-grill/products/weber-mastertouch-hinged-5770-black-57cm
    €379 , free delivery

https://www.theorchard.ie/weber-master-touch-gbs-premium-e-5775-57cm-with-free-cover/
    €385 including a free cover and sear grate, 10 euro delivery

https://www.outdoor.ie/product/weber-bbq-master-touch-premium-57cm-black/
    €369 plus 10 euro delivery

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/17401004.html?cgid=4#start=1
    €399 including sear grate & 2 accessories, free delivery - currently out of stock

This is just for checking where roughly has the best deal (haven't really checked UK), based on looking above it would seem The Orchard is offering the best deal at present.

Just to update, rang aroomoutside yesterday to ask would they be able to price match the offer available at the orchard, very nice to deal with, the lady I spoke with got back to me later to say it was unlikely they would get the master touch premium gbs 5775 back in stock anytime soon,there is delays with certain models. I've look at some UK sites and the best price seems to be available at the orchard with the free cover and sear grate included.

I know I originally wanted to see the different set ups but I've my mind made up at this stage so it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the deal on the orchard website as I just want to get it and have something to start using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

https://ibb.co/pQrv3mL
    https://ibb.co/9YSKFPy
    https://ibb.co/r5dp0Qv

Brisket smoked for 10 hours and
    let rest in cooler box two hours afterwards, was by far the best thing have smoked so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

We have lift off! Need to more organized should probably set the BBQ up the day before so I just have to light it in the morning! These probably won't be ready till 8 or 9pm.

510843.jpg

510844.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Ryath wrote: »
    We have lift off! Need to more organized should probably set the BBQ up the day before so I just have to light it in the morning! These probably won't be ready till 8 or 9pm.

Ribs are fairly forgiving so you can push the temperature up to 275 and theyll be ready in about 4 hours. 2 hour smoke, 1.5 hour wrap and 0.5 - 1 hour sauced and you should be fine.

But yeah, set everything up the evening before so you just have to light the following morning.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Our barbecue was left in my mother's house in the garden without a cover for last 2 years. The controls are rusty. The lid was down so the grill has only a slight amount of rust. My mother said she would use it but didn't. Is it worth taking back - it was 450 euros when we bought it. If I do manage to clean it, I am afraid to use the gas cylinder now - where can I dispose of it, or exchange it for a new one - I presume it has to be disposed of carefully. If it is worth keeping, what would I get to clean the rust? I don't like disposing of things from an environmental and cost point of view, if they can be reclaimed. Would appreciate some comments/advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hannaho wrote: »
    Our barbecue was left in my mother's house in the garden without a cover for last 2 years. The controls are rusty. The lid was down so the grill has only a slight amount of rust. My mother said she would use it but didn't. Is it worth taking back - it was 450 euros when we bought it. If I do manage to clean it, I am afraid to use the gas cylinder now - where can I dispose of it, or exchange it for a new one - I presume it has to be disposed of carefully. If it is worth keeping, what would I get to clean the rust? I don't like disposing of things from an environmental and cost point of view, if they can be reclaimed. Would appreciate some comments/advice on this.

Would be easy enough to swap the gas cylinder for a new one. Bot of a rub with some wire wool would remove a fair amount of rust. I'd say it would be ok. If it's really bad maybe share some pics of it?

Thanks. Where would I swap the cylinder in Dublin. I don't know where we got the original cylinder from and we only ever had the one, as we only used the barbecue a few times in my mother's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thanks. Where would I swap the cylinder in Dublin. I don't know where we got the original cylinder from and we only ever had the one, as we only used the barbecue a few times in my mother's house.

I have no idea, but I'd imagine some B&Q type place would have them. (Provided they're still operating as normal of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Home heating places are essential services so you could get from there. A lot of garages or super valu have a calor gas cyclinder that you can pay for a refill.

Thanks Edainoz and paddylonglegs. Will try our local garage which does Calor cylinders - maybe they will exchange it, otherwise will have to wait for B&Q to open again. I just want the to check that the cylinder is ok. I think it's about half full. I know in UK the hardware shops are open again and B&Q is open in UK, so hopefully the same will happen here after 5th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

glic83 wrote: »
    Just to update, rang aroomoutside yesterday to ask would they be able to price match the offer available at the orchard, very nice to deal with, the lady I spoke with got back to me later to say it was unlikely they would get the master touch premium gbs 5775 back in stock anytime soon,there is delays with certain models. I've look at some UK sites and the best price seems to be available at the orchard with the free cover and sear grate included.

I know I originally wanted to see the different set ups but I've my mind made up at this stage so it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the deal on the orchard website as I just want to get it and have something to start using.

Just found this and I only ordered the same from orchard about 2 hours ago.

Now I need to decide what to try when it arrives.

Ordered the pizza stone as well as the griddle pan while I was at it.

Advertisement