Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

Any good recommendations for a thermometer where you can leave the probe in near the food, while cooking?
    Want to do some longer cooks but wary of temp control.

Weber compact kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Any good recommendations for a thermometer where you can leave the probe in near the food, while cooking?

Weber compact kettle

In the market for one myself Thermopro and Inkbird one's on amazon are rated to be good. I'm trying to decide myself cheaper ones have wireless transmitters and move up a little in price they have bluetooth to pair with phone. There's Wifi one's aswell possibly a better option but they are starting to get pricey. This being Ireland I think I'll pay the bit extra to get one that has some degree of water resistance.

They cooked quicker than I though alright davegilly. Were at 80°C after just over 5hrs on bbq held a steady 130-140°C Wrapped them and finished them in the oven at 130°C took another 1.5hrs to get to 95°C resting now. Didn't sauce sauce them just sprayed with some apple juice now and again. Plenty of charcoal left in the snake so opened the vents and cooked some burgers.

Looking well I'll see what they taste like in an hour!

510878.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Weber compact kettle

Have this one myself:

https://amazingribs.com/thermometers/thermoworks-signals-review

Reviews are universally good but i am only moderately impressed. The App is quite buggy and the alarm system is a pain in the arse as a result (alarm basically triggers each time you open the App).

It charges via USB-C - which should be great. However, it will only charge with their propriety power brick. That and it takes 8/9 hours to charge fully - giving you 12-15 hours battery life.

A friend has this and loves it. Seems to be convenient but limited in other areas:

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/meater-wireless-thermometer-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone have the igrill 3 care to comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Weber compact kettle
    I've got a version of this. Great little thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-Digital-Wireless-Thermometer-Kitchen/dp/B014DAVHSQ/ref=pd_sbs_201_4/257-7028737-4282554?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B014DAVHSQ&pd_rd_r=7afee2a2-da07-46d9-8920-9e7389dc236a&pd_rd_w=L9wzU&pd_rd_wg=Dc627&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=G1698B2YVA55YK9K8S4Y&psc=1&refRID=G1698B2YVA55YK9K8S4Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The barbeques in homestore and more, are they even worth looking at? 6 burner delivered for 500ish (reduced from 800 "apparently"). I have the cover for this 6 burner already - don't ask, I'm like the biker with the leathers but no motorbike.

I've looked at broil king - way out of my league, Weber seems grand but are you just paying for a name, Sahara barbeques look good and I'm veering off that way.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend where to get wood chunks in Dublin or online? And what types?

I have some old bags of Weber chips that are nearly done but would like to try the chunks now.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

heldel00 wrote: »
    The barbeques in homestore and more, are they even worth looking at? 6 burner delivered for 500ish (reduced from 800 "apparently"). I have the cover for this 6 burner already - don't ask, I'm like the biker with the leathers but no motorbike.

I've looked at broil king - way out of my league, Weber seems grand but are you just paying for a name, Sahara barbeques look good and I'm veering off that way.

If you are spending €500, Broil King isn't out of your league.
    Do you need a huge grill?
    How many steaks can you cook on the hob at one time?
    Do you really need to be able to cook a dozen burgers or more at once?

My Broil King was €550. It's a great but of kit.

Watch out for cheaper grills that appear to have huge cooking areas - when you actually use some of these, the effective cooking area is much smaller due to poor heat distribution.

My last grill appeared to have a bigger cooking area than my new BK but, in reality, it had a small area in the centre, big enough for 2 small steaks, that actually got hit enough to sear.
    Every part of the new grill gets evenly and proberly hot.

Also, do you really need a side burner? They add cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We bought a three burner from there a few years ago and it’s still going strong. It’s outside all year. We’ve replaced the cover once. I think it was about €300 including cover/rotisserie/lave rocks but if you going to spend €500+, I’d go, as beer suggests, with a ‘proper’ one like Broul King.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We bought a three burner from there a few years ago and it’s still going strong. It’s outside all year. We’ve replaced the cover once. I think it was about €300 including cover/rotisserie/lave rocks but if you going to spend €500+, I’d go, as beer suggests, with a ‘proper’ one like Broil King.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Watch out for cheaper grills that appear to have huge cooking areas - when you actually use some of these, the effective cooking area is much smaller due to poor heat distribution.

My last grill appeared to have a bigger cooking area than my new BK but, in reality, it had a small area in the centre, big enough for 2 small steaks, that actually got hit enough to sear.

The side burner looked good for frying onions, mushrooms etc but prob not necessary.
    Do you mind me asking which broil king you have?

The side burner looked good for frying onions, mushrooms etc but prob not necessary.
    Do you mind me asking which broil king you have?

Royal 320
    €555 from A Room Outside, ordered Wednesday, delivered Friday.
    There are cheaper BKs, too.

Hannaho wrote: »
    Our barbecue was left in my mother's house in the garden without a cover for last 2 years. The controls are rusty. The lid was down so the grill has only a slight amount of rust. My mother said she would use it but didn't. Is it worth taking back - it was 450 euros when we bought it. If I do manage to clean it, I am afraid to use the gas cylinder now - where can I dispose of it, or exchange it for a new one - I presume it has to be disposed of carefully. If it is worth keeping, what would I get to clean the rust? I don't like disposing of things from an environmental and cost point of view, if they can be reclaimed. Would appreciate some comments/advice on this.

Firstly, gas bottles don't go off and they are weather proof. Use what gas is left then swap for a full one - loads of garages do bottled gas.

As for cleaning. If there is a grease trap or tray, empty it. Grease can cause fires.
    Turn on gas, full heat, put lid down and leave it for 15 minutes. This will burn off most of the crap.

Give the grill grates a scrub with a wire brush.

If they are cast iron, they can be revived.
    With a brush, oil the grates all over with a cooking oil (I use sunflower oil).
    Cover again and turn the heat down and leave for 30 minutes. This should give them a nice, non-stick coating. Repeat this process, if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi guys

Can anyone recommend where to get wood chunks in Dublin or online? And what types?

I have some old bags of Weber chips that are nearly done but would like to try the chunks now.

Thanks

This may sound funky, but I look for local wood when out walking.
    I've taken old apple tree cuts from my mums garden. Just break it up in to small sticks and soak it in water before using.

Be careful using oak as it has a very strong flavour. Beech and Alder are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Frank11

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/bbq-firepits-cat

half price bbq's apparently. i have no idea what the quality is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Anyone have the igrill 3 care to comment on it.

I didn't go for the latest model but did have the first two. They're ok - the app is handy, especially when you're learning your cooks. Again I can't speak for the new model but I didn't find them well suited to the Irish weather, both of them died to humidity, whereas my friend in the US has had his outdoors since day one and it's perfect.
    I really wanted one of them but isn’t it restricted to certain temps? Seems like you couldnt leave it in while you sear a steak

I've been after one of those Meater probe kits for a while.

As far as I know, they're perfect for hot and fast cooking too - the Guga Foods/Sous Vide Everything YouTube channels uses them the whole way through the cook.

I know there was a lot of chat a while ago about getting charcoal - does anyone have any recommendations for getting (preferably!) Weber briquettes delivered within a week? I stocked up at the start of the shut down, but have had the smoker on every three days, and need a resupply fast!

Also, I tried a gochujang chicken on the smoker at about 300f, as per the Bon Appétit recipe. Can definitely recommend it and nice to be able make a whole dish on the smoker!

Recipe here: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Weber compact kettle

Post #2823 for waterproof and non

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ribs turned out damn good, late evening carnivore style snack! Had two

510963.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Excellent choice of beer too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I have a meater for a year now but still haven’t used it!

budgemook wrote: »
    I have a meater for a year now but still haven’t used it!

Is it awkward to set up or you just haven't had a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

glic83 wrote: »
    Just to update, rang aroomoutside yesterday to ask would they be able to price match the offer available at the orchard, very nice to deal with, the lady I spoke with got back to me later to say it was unlikely they would get the master touch premium gbs 5775 back in stock anytime soon,there is delays with certain models. I've look at some UK sites and the best price seems to be available at the orchard with the free cover and sear grate included.

I know I originally wanted to see the different set ups but I've my mind made up at this stage so it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the deal on the orchard website as I just want to get it and have something to start using.

350 at the arboretum with free cover, not sure what delivery would cost you though. https://www.arboretum.ie/shop/products/weber-bbqs/weber-bbq-charcoal/mastertouch-bbqs/master-touch-c-5755-57cm-blue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

All of the above. There is no comparison between a BK and the generic stuff you find in Homestore etc. The build quality/temp control and heat distribution is on a different planet. Honestly.

I always had the cheapo bbq, both charcoal and gas and they served me fine. Cook food, burn some and then they would fall apart after a year or two from rust. I treated myself to a BK 5 years ago and its still going strong and its used probably on average every 2 or three weeks over the year(I use a Charcoal bbq mainly) Only thing I've replaced is the battery in the lighter.

Someone mentioned above about the size of the cooking space - what you must remember is every inch of it can be used due to the heat distribution. You'd easily fit 20 burgers for example all in one go. You cant do this on your 6 burner job from homestore. Well you can, but you'll be constantly moving them as they will all cook at different speeds.

500 odd will get you a BK 320. All you'll ever need. Cover it and it will last a lifetime. I've mine under a b&q gazebo woth no extra cover and there isnt a speck of rust on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

350 at the arboretum with free cover, not sure what delivery would cost you though. https://www.arboretum.ie/shop/products/weber-bbqs/weber-bbq-charcoal/mastertouch-bbqs/master-touch-c-5755-57cm-blue.html

That's a different model it's the 5775 I was looking for.
    Delighted to say I put my order in today at the orchard and the Weber chimney starter pack.

Anyone tried out this version on Amazon, looking at accessories already lol
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B075NJPY8R/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Delighted to say I put my order in today at the orchard and the Weber chimney starter pack.

Get a vortex far more useable for wings, burgers & steaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Sorry i see the difference, the hinged lid would be much better. I find mine can be annoying some times

Advertisement