Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Got the Weber master touch GBS yesterday and cooked some rib eye steak on the sear grate. Then today I did some baby back ribs for 3 and half hours. Amazing! Was happy with how they turned out. Made a lovely sticky sauce for the ribs as well.

Going to play about with things this next while and see how I can keep temperatures consistent and how I position my coals etc. Looking to buy some accessories for it. What would you all recommend?
    Think I’ll try and do some pulled pork at some stage.

Also, this is probably a stupid question but how do I cook steaks, burgers etc at the end of a long slow cook. As I said I was doing ribs for about 3 and 1/2 hours and then needed to do some sausages but the coals weren’t really hot enough. Is it just a matter of being prepared with a chimney starter ready to add some more coals?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Is it just a matter of being prepared with a chimney starter ready to add some more coals?
    Yep.

Anything slow cooked needs to rest anyway so youll have time to cook while this is happening.

I let a shoulder of pork rest on friday for 2.5 hours wrapped in towels in a cooler and it was still too hot to break up with my hands after that length of time. Big lumps of meat hold heat for a very long time when wrapped properly and resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Sorry i see the difference, the hinged lid would be much better. I find mine can be annoying some times

Also includes a diffuser plate which should make it easier for smoking, in fairness the deal at the orchard was the best a available at the time and had it in stock plus it comes with the cover and sear grate

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

glic83 wrote: »
    Just to update, rang aroomoutside yesterday to ask would they be able to price match the offer available at the orchard, very nice to deal with, the lady I spoke with got back to me later to say it was unlikely they would get the master touch premium gbs 5775 back in stock anytime soon,there is delays with certain models. I've look at some UK sites and the best price seems to be available at the orchard with the free cover and sear grate included.

I know I originally wanted to see the different set ups but I've my mind made up at this stage so it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the deal on the orchard website as I just want to get it and have something to start using.

I was looking around for prices on this a few weeks back as well. That free cover makes that a pretty good deal. My trigger finger is very itchy right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

heldel00 wrote: »
    The barbeques in homestore and more, are they even worth looking at? 6 burner delivered for 500ish (reduced from 800 "apparently"). I have the cover for this 6 burner already - don't ask, I'm like the biker with the leathers but no motorbike.

I've looked at broil king - way out of my league, Weber seems grand but are you just paying for a name, Sahara barbeques look good and I'm veering off that way.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I wouldn’t touch them. Absolutely crap build quality and don’t last. I got one 3 years ago and the metal is so thin that it is rusting through. Stored it indoors as well.

The one I got was a mastercook 4 burner. €250 down the drain tbh.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Get a vortex far more useable for wings, burgers & steaks

Just watched a video on YouTube of a guy doing wings looks good in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

glic83 wrote: »
    Also includes a diffuser plate which should make it easier for smoking, in fairness the deal at the orchard was the best a available at the time and had it in stock plus it comes with the cover and sear grate

I got this deal from the Orchard only this week, first cook on it yesterday - steak, using the sear grate and it was the best steak I've ever cooked. The free cover and the extra bits & pieces such as the sear grate, diffuser etc make this a great deal. Just to say there's a known issue with the hinge on the hood, a very easy fix that can be found on YouTube, basically adjusting the spring positions to ensure the lid closes properly, I did this when putting it together and it's perfect. Great piece of kit and if you haven't already pulled the trigger I'd say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I got this deal from the Orchard only this week, first cook on it yesterday - steak, using the sear grate and it was the best steak I've ever cooked. The free cover and the extra bits & pieces such as the sear grate, diffuser etc make this a great deal. Just to say there's a known issue with the hinge on the hood, a very easy fix that can be found on YouTube, basically adjusting the spring positions to ensure the lid closes properly, I did this when putting it together and it's perfect. Great piece of kit and if you haven't already pulled the trigger I'd say go for it!

I’m waiting on mine to be delivered. Do you have the link to the YouTube video you used?

heroics wrote: »
    I’m waiting on mine to be delivered. Do you have the link to the YouTube video you used?

https://youtu.be/nc80vZ8cVNg

Surprising that Weber haven't actually changed the hinge design but this modification works perfectly.

Pulled the trigger today, now will have to wait a few days for for dpd to deliver, I take it most are using the weber charcoal?
    Did someone say Musgrave's did decent charcoal?

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/nc80vZ8cVNg

Surprising that Weber haven't actually changed the hinge design but this modification works perfectly.

Thanks that doesn’t look too difficult in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OldBean wrote: »
    Also, I tried a gochujang chicken on the smoker at about 300f, as per the Bon Appétit recipe. Can definitely recommend it and nice to be able make a whole dish on the smoker!

Recipe here: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

Looks delicious OldBean. Have you found the gochujang in a bricks and mortar store anywhere or do you get it online?

Also your cast iron pan, is that a Lodge or which brand is it. Have been meaning to pick up a cast iron with a deep dish for a while now and that looks like exactly what Im after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Thank you! Yep, I picked the gochujang up a few months back from one of the Asian food stores in town. I believe Asia Market do a pretty solid online delivery service with everything going on, I must put in an order soon.

Link here: https://www.asiamarket.ie/cj-haechandle-korean-red-pepper-paste-1kg.html

The skillet is the larger Lodge, I think 14". I've had it and a few of their other bits a few years at this stage and they're great, and v good value. I picked up the four in one gift set for my mate's housewarming and was pretty jealous - it came with a skillet, Dutch oven and shallow pan, for about €120 delivered from the US. Would recommend having a look for that.

The 'pre seasoning' on them is grand, but I wouldn't be throwing an egg on for the first couple of cooks. Bacon or big cuts like Cote de Beouf will give you plenty of fat to season with.

They're great, flexibility wise, to go from the hob/oven to the smoker/grill or visa versa, depending on what needs to be cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Is it awkward to set up or you just haven't had a chance?

Nah it's just that I have my thermo pro and I'm a creature of habit. I really should try it out because being able to keep an eye on temps from the shops or the pub or something is very appealing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

budgemook wrote: »
    Nah it's just that I have my thermo pro and I'm a creature of habit. I really should try it out because being able to keep an eye on temps from the shops or the pub or something is very appealing to me.

Fair, I have the thermo pro too and it's fantastic.

I ordered 4 4kg bags of charcoal from The Orchard this morning, no 8kg in stock. Website says orders taking an additional 2-3 days with delivery. Will update when they arrive if anyone else is running low.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭mjp

Whats this deal on the master touch premium from the orchard? Think i will pull trigger on this once payday comes tomorrow. €385 on site there now but dont see any accessories or additions with it?? Outdoor scene in Dublin have same for €369 online until Thursday.

mjp wrote: »
    Whats this deal on the master touch premium from the orchard? Think i will pull trigger on this once payday comes tomorrow. €385 on site there now but dont see any accessories or additions with it?? Outdoor scene in Dublin have same for €369 online until Thursday.

Mine came with a free cover worth €69 and the sear grate. Just had a look on orchard website and looks like the free cover offer is gone now.

mjp wrote: »

From what I can see the one for 369 doesn't include the sear grate

aroomoutside.ie are doing a master touch GBS 5750 ocean blue with free cover for 329 and free delivery, wouldn't have the lid hinge or the diffuser plate that's on the 5775 but seems a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Fair, I have the thermo pro too and it's fantastic.

I ordered 4 4kg bags of charcoal from The Orchard this morning, no 8kg in stock. Website says orders taking an additional 2-3 days with delivery. Will update when they arrive if anyone else is running low.

A room outside have the 8kgs, €10 delivery.

I just ordered 10kg Weber lump and 2 bags of the 8kg briquettes from aroomoutside. No idea how long delivery will take but hoping this week, I'm running low!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I just ordered 10kg Weber lump and 2 bags of the 8kg briquettes from aroomoutside. No idea how long delivery will take but hoping this week, I'm running low!

I find the weber lump sparks like crazy, much prefer the blue restaurant grade stuff.

oleras wrote: »
    I find the weber lump sparks like crazy, much prefer the blue restaurant grade stuff.

I'm using the blue restaurant stuff at the moment and its like a fireworks display!

oleras wrote: »

I haven't used either before so I'll give it a go....I'll keep people updated on delivery time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ordered bbq from the orchard on saturday, am i being overly optimistic that ill have it for the weekend :D

shanec1928 wrote: »
    ordered bbq from the orchard on saturday, am i being overly optimistic that ill have it for the weekend :D

This is what I got this morning not holding my breath for it arriving this week.

“ Due to the unprecedented volume of orders we have been receiving it is taking longer than normal to process them all. We wish to assure you that your order will be processed and you will receive confirmation as soon as your order has been dispatched. Thank you and Stay Safe Team Orchard”

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mark_sharp

For the guys that use Kamado grills what lump wood do you use?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe Classic 3, I've heard good things about the Big Block XL lump wood but just seems a tad pricey.

Thanks in advance.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

mark_sharp wrote: »
    For the guys that use Kamado grills what lump wood do you use?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe Classic 3, I've heard good things about the Big Block XL lump wood but just seems a tad pricey.

Thanks in advance.

Big blue bags from woodfuel.ie.
    Best lumpwood I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mark_sharp

fitz wrote: »
    Big blue bags from woodfuel.ie.
    Best lumpwood I've tried.

Cheers Fitz will give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

shanec1928 wrote: »

Every day is the weekend!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Every day is the weekend!!!

Some of us still have to work :(

Advertisement