Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A Room Outside had my order to me in 2 days last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

theorchard quoted me €70 delivery on a Weber Mastertouch?

Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OldBean wrote: »
    Thank you! Yep, I picked the gochujang up a few months back from one of the Asian food stores in town. I believe Asia Market do a pretty solid online delivery service with everything going on, I must put in an order soon.

Link here: https://www.asiamarket.ie/cj-haechandle-korean-red-pepper-paste-1kg.html

The skillet is the larger Lodge, I think 14". I've had it and a few of their other bits a few years at this stage and they're great, and v good value. I picked up the four in one gift set for my mate's housewarming and was pretty jealous - it came with a skillet, Dutch oven and shallow pan, for about €120 delivered from the US. Would recommend having a look for that.

The 'pre seasoning' on them is grand, but I wouldn't be throwing an egg on for the first couple of cooks. Bacon or big cuts like Cote de Beouf will give you plenty of fat to season with.

They're great, flexibility wise, to go from the hob/oven to the smoker/grill or visa versa, depending on what needs to be cooked.

Thanks OldBean will check out Asia Market for the gochujang. Yeah I had been looking at Lodge cast iron pans from the US and they seem about half the price of what they are here from amazon.co.uk. Did you get hit for customs at all on delivery? I know its pot luck but that would be a bit of a downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I got the set through Amazon.com and I think the total came to €120 inc tax which amazon automatically adds. They're just as cheap on supermarket shelves over there too, I've brought a few back that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Is that right?

It may or may not be right, but don't pay it unless you're desperate (and if you do pay, hide your face in shame :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

Is that right?

What were you ordering with it? I think if you go over 30kg in weight it goes up from €9 to €70... I was ordering one bag of charcoal with mine and delivery was €70, I removed the charcoal and it dropped down to €9. I think the BBQ on its own just comes in under 30kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Can anyone recommend an entry level smoker, I'm looking to dip my toe in the water, I've never done it before but like stuff low n slow.
    Are electrical ones cheap enough at entry level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Is that right?
    I ordered the Weber chimney starter pack and the master touch and only got charged 9 euro delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

glic83 wrote: »
    I ordered the Weber chimney starter pack and the master touch and only got charged 9 euro delivery

I ordered the master touch premium/pizza stone/skillet and charcoal and got charged 70. Should have ordered them separate if I knew. Doh

mjp wrote: »
    Whats this deal on the master touch premium from the orchard? Think i will pull trigger on this once payday comes tomorrow. €385 on site there now but dont see any accessories or additions with it?? Outdoor scene in Dublin have same for €369 online until Thursday.

Did you get a reply to this, I think I'd be interested in this deal also, has the op got a link?

• Advertisement

Did you get a reply to this, I think I'd be interested in this deal also, has the op got a link?

Includes the cover but doesn't seem to include the sear grate

Includes the cover but doesn't seem to include the sear grate

I wonder would they offer it if I rang them up if they only gave it to you a few days ago

From what I can see the one for 369 doesn't include the sear grate

aroomoutside.ie are doing a master touch GBS 5750 ocean blue with free cover for 329 and free delivery, wouldn't have the lid hinge or the diffuser plate that's on the 5775 but seems a good deal
    I wonder would they offer it if I rang them up if they only gave it to you a few days ago
    Worth a shot, all they can say is no

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mark_sharp wrote: »
    For the guys that use Kamado grills what lump wood do you use?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe Classic 3, I've heard good things about the Big Block XL lump wood but just seems a tad pricey.

Thanks in advance.

get some of the blue restaurant stuff from a room outside . i got a classic 3 2 weeks ago, i've always used the weber lump bags but started with the blue bags when i got tehe KJ and it's much better, big chunks of wood rather than the small broken bits you get in the weber bags.

oleras wrote: »
    I find the weber lump sparks like crazy, much prefer the blue restaurant grade stuff.

agreed, used the weber stuff for ages, then tried the blue bags, and would never go back

apologies if it has been asked, but where are folks getting bigger lumps of wood for smoking? can get chips no problem, but would like to find a source for bigger lumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

mossym wrote: »
    apologies if it has been asked, but where are folks getting bigger lumps of wood for smoking? can get chips no problem, but would like to find a source for bigger lumps.

In my experience, the only reliable source is buying bags of 'chunks' rather than chips from retailers - A Room Outside and The Orchard definitely have apple wood chunks in stock, and possibly hickory, your mileage may vary in less specialized stores but they do pop up.

Before, I've gotten apple wood from orchards and (untreated!) oak and cherry wood from furniture makers. Worth looking around to see what's nearby after the world begins coming back to normal. They've been more than happy give it away as long as you're willing to pick up.

Woodfuels.e are cheaper than a room outside for the blue bags of lump wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Hi all,

I’m looking at retiring my gas bbq and going charcoal.

From doing a bit of research I’ve been drawn to the Weber 57cm premium at a little under €400. It just seems extremely versatile and the idea of the different gbs inserts looks pretty appealing.

Any recommendations for good alternatives to consider? I aim to do a mix of grilling and low and slow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

mossym wrote: »

I get from these guys in UK through parcel motel. They've a good choice of woods and decent sized bag or box

https://www.smokewoodshack.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

what are people opinions on kamado joe versus a regular charcoal bbq?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

ec18 wrote: »

It's absolutely worth the investment.

Woodfuels.e are cheaper than a room outside for the blue bags of lump wood.

What price are Wood Fuels for the 12kg blue bags, their website just says 'call for price'

Lidl are doing BBQ stuff on special this coming Thursday. Both BBQ food and accessories as well as a gas BBQ. The Bring the Pain hot sauce is available too
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/summer-bbq/c1141/w2

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What price are Wood Fuels for the 12kg blue bags, their website just says 'call for price'

Lidl are doing BBQ stuff on special this coming Thursday. Both BBQ food and accessories as well as a gas BBQ. The Bring the Pain hot sauce is available too
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/summer-bbq/c1141/w2

Must pick up some more of their wood shaving fire lighters , they are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

Is there much worth buying there? I like those lighters too. And I got a rib rack last year that's handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ec18 wrote: »

I'm thinking about getting something similar but it's a lot of cash. Does anyone have any experience with any other cheaper models? Vidaxl have some similar looking ceramic grills for less than half the price

neris wrote: »
    I get from these guys in UK through parcel motel. They've a good choice of woods and decent sized bag or box

https://www.smokewoodshack.com

super, exactly what i was thinking of, how do you handle this through parcel motel? how many bags can you get at a time(thinking of how they fit into a locker)

OldBean wrote: »
    In my experience, the only reliable source is buying bags of 'chunks' rather than chips from retailers - A Room Outside and The Orchard definitely have apple wood chunks in stock, and possibly hickory, your mileage may vary in less specialized stores but they do pop up.

Before, I've gotten apple wood from orchards and (untreated!) oak and cherry wood from furniture makers. Worth looking around to see what's nearby after the world begins coming back to normal. They've been more than happy give it away as long as you're willing to pick up.

thanks, i see the chunks on there alright, they seem on the small side. i get my lumpwood from a room outside so can give those a go.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Must pick up some more of their wood shaving fire lighters , they are excellent.

Lidl have the straw type bbq lighters on Thursday. Theres 32 in the pack for 2.49 which is good value, will be stocking up for summer
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq-food/chili-sauce/p40887

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

What would you think of using the new weber pellets for smoking? Seems a lot more economical than their chips or chunks.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/hardwood-pellets/

Advertisement