Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ryath wrote: »
    What would you think of using the new weber pellets for smoking? Seems a lot more economical than their chips or chunks.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/hardwood-pellets/

Depends how much you use the smoker. Thats a 9KG bag. Would take a while to get through that! Great value though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

The Nal wrote: »
    Depends how much you use the smoker. Thats a 9KG bag. Would take a while to get through that! Great value though.

I'm trying to make a habit of it! It does seem well priced alright. I have an Ooni karu on the way so I'll try adding some to the charcoal too. Probably still take a year to get through it!

Thinking of getting the American blend. Seems the most versatile? Am new to this and will be mostly smoking beef and chicken. Still have half a bag of weber hickory chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys. Total bbq newbie here so be gentle :-(
    We just purchased a Weber classic kettle charcoal bbq today (never owned or used one before).
    Planning to try it out at the weekend cooking a few sausages, chicken fillets and burgers.

So, my question is re cooking at the various different temps that these require.
    My understanding is that sausages require low heat, chicken medium and burgers high heat.
    Just wondering does it make most sense to cook the sausages first, then ramp up the heat and cook chicken next & finally ramp up again to high heat for the burgers? Or is it preferable to start cooking the food that needs the highest heat first and drop the temp down to cook the rest of the food?
    Obviously will have to play around with the dampers to try and get the hang of maintaining/lowering/increasing the temp etc.

Just wondering on the best way to plan for cooking these foods that require different levels of heat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting something similar but it's a lot of cash. Does anyone have any experience with any other cheaper models? Vidaxl have some similar looking ceramic grills for less than half the price

Apparently the one linked to on here a couple of pages back is the Kamado Joe 1 rebranded and is going for 800.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

gaillimh wrote: »
    We just purchased a Weber classic kettle charcoal bbq today (never owned or used one before).
    Planning to try it out at the weekend cooking a few sausages, chicken fillets and burgers.

So, my question is re cooking at the various different temps that these require.
    My understanding is that sausages require low heat, chicken medium and burgers high heat.
    Just wondering does it make most sense to cook the sausages first, then ramp up the heat and cook chicken next & finally ramp up again to high heat for the burgers? Or is it preferable to start cooking the food that needs the highest heat first and drop the temp down to cook the rest of the food?
    Obviously will have to play around with the dampers to try and get the hang of maintaining/lowering/increasing the temp etc.

Just wondering on the best way to plan for cooking these foods that require different levels of heat.

Did you get baskets for the coals with the Weber?

You can do this either way , but the baskets make it a bit easier/tidier.

Position the coals in one area - That will be your "direct" cooking zone where the heat will highest - The rest of the grill area will be cooler and stuff won't burn before they are cooked

Start the sausages off on the direct piece , get colour on them and then move them over to the cooler area and they'll continue to cook away without burning (you can also do this in reverse - start them on the cool side and move them over at the end to get colour) , you can then cook the chicken and burgers in the same way...

That way you can lift all of the food at the same time..

Bit more info here on Direct vs. Indirect cooking

Enjoy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

So now I want all the accessories :).

Is the igril2 or the meater+ worth it do you think or should I get the thermopro one linked a few pages back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Hi all,

Wondering if this is the place to ask- so if it isn't, any suggestion on where in boards to go would be welcome.

Ages ago I bought a Landmann 12375FT dual grill BBQ. Only got it assembled last night. the connector for the gas cylinder (see picture) isn't near what I need to go to a standard gas cylinder. Is there an adaptor I need- and if so, given the current situation, can it be ordered online? or is it a specific type of cylinder I need?

Any advice would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

As QuinDub said definitely do some reading up on direct and indirect zones. Once you can master that you can cook foods with different cooking times simultaneously.

And the two must have accessories are the chimney starter and the charcoal baskets. Both will make things a lot easier for you. The Weber baskets are 25 euro and well worth it for controlling where the hot coals sit. Their chimney starter is also 25 but sometimes large Tescos have unbranded ones for 8 euro in the BBQ/Garden section.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hi all,

Wondering if this is the place to ask- so if it isn't, any suggestion on where in boards to go would be welcome.

Ages ago I bought a Landmann 12375FT dual grill BBQ. Only got it assembled last night. the connector for the gas cylinder (see picture) isn't near what I need to go to a standard gas cylinder. Is there an adaptor I need- and if so, given the current situation, can it be ordered online? or is it a specific type of cylinder I need?

Looks like you need a BBQ/patio gas cylinder. As below. Very few (if any?) BBQs run off a standard gas cylinder.

patio-gas1-320x413.jpg

You may be able to get one in your local garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Great thread, lads!

Anyone ever try Pizza on the charcoal bbq? Im looking at https://www.kettlepizza.com specifically. Reviews seem decent...would it be worth the money?

Or would ye have another accoutrement ye have tried?

• Advertisement

I was looking at a few similar ones on amazon but decided I was better putting the money towards an Ooni. I'd imagine they work ok but you are going to need a lot more fuel to get them up to and keep them at temperature.

neris wrote: »
    I get from these guys in UK through parcel motel. They've a good choice of woods and decent sized bag or box

https://www.smokewoodshack.com

Thats a good site but their shipping estimator is saying £18.50 for delivery to Northern Ireland for Parcel Motel :eek: Thats buying 2 x 1.5kg bags of chunks, is it free delivery to NI for over £50? Dont think I could order £50 worth, that would take a long time to get through.
    Address Pal could be an option as they have a UK mainland virtual address, they charge 7.49 for 2-5kg and 9.49 for 5-10kg.

Is there any Irish site doing wood chunks for smoking? That Sausage Hut site seems to be gone.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    As QuinDub said definitely do some reading up on direct and indirect zones. Once you can master that you can cook foods with different cooking times simultaneously.

And the two must have accessories are the chimney starter and the charcoal baskets. Both will make things a lot easier for you. The Weber baskets are 25 euro and well worth it for controlling where the hot coals sit. Their chimney starter is also 25 but sometimes large Tescos have unbranded ones for 8 euro in the BBQ/Garden section.
    Thanks lads. I have the chimney starter ordered separately, which I should receive before the weekend touch wood.
    Aldi have an €8 one in-store this week but I was ordering some other Weber stuff online anyway so went with the Weber one.
    I hadn't heard of the charcoal baskets to be honest - I shall definitely have a look at those.

Can I ask one more (probably stupid) question if you don't mind?
    I have been reading that for sausages, I should put them on direct low heat for about 2 mins each side & then move to the other side of the grill for indirect heating for the remainder of the time.
    Am I okay to up the heat and start cooking the chicken or burgers (direct heat) next at the higher temp straight away while the sausages are on the indirect heat?
    As in I wouldn't be hugely upping the temp on the "indirect" side causing that food to be cooked at too high a heat?
    Thanks again for any advice it is much appreciated.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Did you get baskets for the coals with the Weber?

You can do this either way , but the baskets make it a bit easier/tidier.

Position the coals in one area - That will be your "direct" cooking zone where the heat will highest - The rest of the grill area will be cooler and stuff won't burn before they are cooked

Start the sausages off on the direct piece , get colour on them and then move them over to the cooler area and they'll continue to cook away without burning (you can also do this in reverse - start them on the cool side and move them over at the end to get colour) , you can then cook the chicken and burgers in the same way...

That way you can lift all of the food at the same time..

Bit more info here on Direct vs. Indirect cooking

Enjoy..
    Thanks very much that's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Hi all,

That’s a propane regulator. Aka “patio gas “

You can use your yellow butane cylinder if you change the regulator.

Either will work fine however if you want to grill in winter butane isn’t ideal as the butane doesn’t vaporise at low temperatures.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can I ask one more (probably stupid) question if you don't mind?
    I have been reading that for sausages, I should put them on direct low heat for about 2 mins each side & then move to the other side of the grill for indirect heating for the remainder of the time.
    Am I okay to up the heat and start cooking the chicken or burgers (direct heat) next at the higher temp straight away while the sausages are on the indirect heat?
    As in I wouldn't be hugely upping the temp on the "indirect" side causing that food to be cooked at too high a heat?
    Thanks again for any advice it is much appreciated.

No - you should be fine..

Once you move the stuff off the direct heat there's actually a big drop off in Temp.

I have a Weber Kettle as well - The Master touch GBS version

If I'm just doing Burgers , Sausages and the like I put the baskets in the centre which leaves me the whole outside circumference of the grill to cook slowly..without the baskets you can just pile them in the centre.

I get it going and then let it get up to Temp (typically when the lid gauge reads 200c) , which takes about 30 minutes from when you light the coals - ~15 minutes in the chimney and 15-20 in the kettle itself.

Put the sausages on around the outside for about 10 mins with the lid down and then finish them in the centre for a couple of minutes to colour/crisp up the outside (This is the last step , it'll only take 60-90 seconds to finish them , just keeping rolling turning them until you are happy)

It's the same in reverse for the burgers - Start them on the hot section for 2 or 3 minutes each side to get a a nice colour and texture and then shift them to the outside to finish cooking ( depends on how thick they are on how long the need to finish) but a 4/5 oz burger will happily sit out at the edge for 10-15 minutes and still be spot on..

Same with a Chicken breast or those Kebab on a stick things you can pick up in the butchers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Urquell wrote: »
    Great thread, lads!

Anyone ever try Pizza on the charcoal bbq? Im looking at https://www.kettlepizza.com specifically. Reviews seem decent...would it be worth the money?

I plan on trying pizza on my Weber kettle this week. Don’t think you need anything more than a pizza stone..

See info here:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pizza-and-flatbread-recipes/science-grilled-pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Any good homemade beef skewers recipies for the bbq?

I generally buy a pork filllet, dice it up and make souvlaki skewers for the bbq, but I never tried anything with beef other than your bog standard burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

budgemook wrote: »
    Apparently the one linked to on here a couple of pages back is the Kamado Joe 1 rebranded and is going for 800.

Thanks, seems to be sold out now though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Great thread, lads!

Aldi have something similar in stock at the moment for €50. They’re not flying out the door.

The couple of times I’ve used a pizza stone on the gas bbq, It’s cracked.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    No - you should be fine..

Once you move the stuff off the direct heat there's actually a big drop off in Temp.

I have a Weber Kettle as well - The Master touch GBS version

If I'm just doing Burgers , Sausages and the like I put the baskets in the centre which leaves me the whole outside circumference of the grill to cook slowly..without the baskets you can just pile them in the centre.

I get it going and then let it get up to Temp (typically when the lid gauge reads 200c) , which takes about 30 minutes from when you light the coals - ~15 minutes in the chimney and 15-20 in the kettle itself.

Put the sausages on around the outside for about 10 mins with the lid down and then finish them in the centre for a couple of minutes to colour/crisp up the outside (This is the last step , it'll only take 60-90 seconds to finish them , just keeping rolling turning them until you are happy)

It's the same in reverse for the burgers - Start them on the hot section for 2 or 3 minutes each side to get a a nice colour and texture and then shift them to the outside to finish cooking ( depends on how thick they are on how long the need to finish) but a 4/5 oz burger will happily sit out at the edge for 10-15 minutes and still be spot on..

Same with a Chicken breast or those Kebab on a stick things you can pick up in the butchers etc.
    Great stuff thanks a mill. Will give all of this a go on Saturday :)

Thanks lads. I have the chimney starter ordered separately, which I should receive before the weekend touch wood.
    Aldi have an €8 one in-store this week but I was ordering some other Weber stuff online anyway so went with the Weber one.
    I hadn't heard of the charcoal baskets to be honest - I shall definitely have a look at those.

yeah no difference between a 8 euro chinmey from Aldi and a 25 euro Weber one , you'll get years out of either one. Think my 8 euro job from Tesco is 5yrs old now and no signs of rust even though its outdoors all year around.

The charcoal baskets are handy for controlling where your coals are in the pit. You dont absolutely need them but without them when you dump a full chimney of coals in naturally some coals are going to go flying over the side of the pit that you dont want them to. So the baskets just make your life a lot easier and they can be used as a full circle or separated as two semi circles so they give you a few different options for setting up a direct and indirect zone. The Weber ones Ive got are 25 though you might find cheaper imitations on ebay or Amazon.

Lidl also selling BBQ stuff this Thursday so that might be good to get other
    paraphernalia like tongs, skewers, a wire brush for cleaning the grill grate, etc. You'll need a cover for it too if it is spending winter outdoors, again ebay is good for that.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah no difference between a 8 euro chinmey from Aldi and a 25 euro Weber one , you'll get years out of either one. Think my 8 euro job from Tesco is 5yrs old now and no signs of rust even though its outdoors all year around.

The charcoal baskets are handy for controlling where your coals are in the pit. You dont absolutely need them but without them when you dump a full chimney of coals in naturally some coals are going to go flying over the side of the pit that you dont want them to. So the baskets just make your life a lot easier and they can be used as a full circle or separated as two semi circles so they give you a few different options for setting up a direct and indirect zone. The Weber ones Ive got are 25 though you might find cheaper imitations on ebay or Amazon.

Lidl also selling BBQ stuff this Thursday so that might be good to get other
    paraphernalia like tongs, skewers, a wire brush for cleaning the grill grate, etc. You'll need a cover for it too if it is spending winter outdoors, again ebay is good for that.
    Great advice thanks I ordered a chimney starter, cover, brush for cleaning it & an instant read thermometer.
    I will probably keep it in the garage or a shed rather than outside, but think regardless a cover to keep to from getting manky is prob the way to go.

The Nal wrote: »
    Looks like you need a BBQ/patio gas cylinder. As below. Very few (if any?) BBQs run off a standard gas cylinder.

patio-gas1-320x413.jpg

You may be able to get one in your local garage.

Cheers, very helpful

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    That’s a propane regulator. Aka “patio gas “

You can use your yellow butane cylinder if you change the regulator.

Either will work fine however if you want to grill in winter butane isn’t ideal as the butane doesn’t vaporise at low temperatures.

Great, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

What would you think of using the new weber pellets for smoking? Seems a lot more economical than their chips or chunks.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/accessories/cooking/hardwood-pellets/

AFAIK, only a small percentage is hard wood, for flavor, the rest is just BTU's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Hi all,

If you got the BBQ from the UK it's a different gas connector. You will need an Irish one.
    I bought a BBQ on Amazon. Had to buy a connection in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

I was looking at a few similar ones on amazon but decided I was better putting the money towards an Ooni. I'd imagine they work ok but you are going to need a lot more fuel to get them up to and keep them at temperature.

How did you find the Ooni? They look a tad small. Wood burning?

oleras wrote: »
    AFAIK, only a small percentage is hard wood, for flavor, the rest is just BTU's
    In the description it does say they are 100% hard wood. Looks like they are a mix though. The hickory pellets is 60% oak and the apple one's 60% maple. Still going to work for smoking but the flavor profile will be bit different? Was going to try the american blend anyway looks to be the most versatile it's 34% Maple, 33% Hickory and 33% Cherry.
    How did you find the Ooni? They look a tad small. Wood burning?

Don't know yet it's on pre-order! :(

12" pizza's is a little smaller than I'd normally make alright but the larger models are good bit dearer. They cook so quick on it though it shouldn't be an issue.

Karu model burns charcoal or wood. I'll probably get the gas down the but I'll see how get on with solid fuels first.

Good few in the pizza thread have the Ooni 3 or the gas Koda
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057609472&page=23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Any good homemade beef skewers recipies for the bbq?

I generally buy a pork filllet, dice it up and make souvlaki skewers for the bbq, but I never tried anything with beef other than your bog standard burgers.

Not exactly answering your question because these aren't homemade - but these skewers are delicious.
    They look simple enough - and I plan to ask about them next time I'm in or near a Kerrigans (as in how to make them myself)

https://www.kerriganmeats.ie/shop/other/bbq/piri-piri-beef-fillet-kebabs/

Advertisement