Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conduit Needed?

Options
  • 18-04-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I wish to add another socket in a room. The walls are solid walls and are bonded and skimmed. I intend to chisel out a channel from an existing socket down to skirting then behind skirting and up to the new position.
    My query is does the 2.5 cable have to be in conduit? Its about 12 inches down to skirting. Its new house so thats reason i want to do as little disruption as possible. Is it ok to plaster over the 2.5 cable without the conduit.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

it needs conduit .don't think i've ever buried a wire behind skirting.i would use nym anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 djyay

get some flat plastic conduit from your local hardware.it is NOT okay to plaster over a 2.5mm cable in a wall chase. the chase will need to be deeper for the conduit,but youll have to plaster it anyway so whats the harm in doing it proper:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As the others have said it needs conduit.

JOHNPT:
    I intend to chisel out a channel from an existing socket down to skirting then behind skirting and up to the new position.
    Although you are permitted to have a cable cross the skirting board, you are not allowed to run a mains cable behind it. You should really go under the floor boards and then back up again to a new position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Any pvc cable in a wall has to be in conduit. There is a chemical reaction between the pvc sheath & plaster so you have to put it in conduit . The new regs say it has to have mechanical protection as well unless it is within 150mm of the corner. Plastic conduit is not mechanical protection

• Advertisement

Very interesting

So what would be classified as mechanical protection then if plastic conduit not allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Galvanised steel capping i would guess .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

bertie1 wrote: »
    Plastic conduit is not mechanical protection

Are you sure about that? I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

The new regs say it has to have mechanical protection as well unless it is within 150mm of the corner. Plastic conduit is not mechanical protection

this statement is misleading - installing the cable in plastic conduit is perfectly acceptable if the conduit is vertical or horizontal and is ran from a switch or socket or another electrical point

diagonal runs etc. should be installed in steel conduit or else should be limited to within 150mm from corners and ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

installing the cable in plastic conduit is perfectly acceptable if the conduit is vertical or horizontal and is ran from a switch or socket or another electrical point
    Yes this is correct
    diagonal runs etc. should be installed in steel conduit or else should be limited to within 150mm from corners and ceiling.
    + 1
    Also if a mains voltage cable is passing verticaly within a wall (from floor to ceiling for example), but is not passing through a visable electrical point (such as a switch or socket) it must then be in a steel conduit.

This goes back to my point that mains cables are not allowed to be installed running horizontally behind skirting boards.

The origional poster was not doing a straight run he was going down the wall across skirting & back up to a socket ( chased into the solid wall )
    Chapter 522.6.4
    Therefore the cable needs to be protected by an earthed metal screen, armouring , metal conduit or trunking therefore plastic will not do and I assume it is more than 150mm from the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

The origional poster was not doing a straight run he was going down the wall across skirting & back up to a socket ( chased into the solid wall )
    Chapter 522.6.4
    Therefore the cable needs to be protected by an earthed metal screen, armouring , metal conduit or trunking therefore plastic will not do and I assume it is more than 150mm from the corner.

M sentiments exactly.

cant take the risk of driving a nail through it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

Chapter 522.6.4

I agree completly Bertie - I was just pointing out that your earlier post suggested that all PVC cables in wall needed to be mechanically protected which is not the case.
    The new regs say it has to have mechanical protection as well unless it is within 150mm of the corner

I was answering the origional posters question ( he wanted to plaster 2.5 into a wall with no protection)

Advertisement