Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter - what the hell has happened

Options
  • 18-04-2009 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey was over in my gfriends brothers place - their little kid has an xbox360 and i saw street fighter so i goit all exited and starting playing it. Now I used to play this all the time about 10 yrs ago but havent played it since really - and what a difference a few years ago has made - what the hell has happend to all the characters!!!!

Blanca is nothing like he used to be - he was a huntched over monster who resembled a dorilla more than a man but now he looks like a man and can stand totally upright!!

E.Honda now has a six back! Yeh he's still fat but they have now given him a 6 pack - what sumo wrestler has a 6 pack!

Dhalsim can speak and doesnt sound half as mysterious as I always though he was.

Chun Li isn't hot any more

Ken and Ryu look like they have turned to body building rather than martial arts. I think Ryu is actually wearing make up!

What's going on - anyone else?!?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

A different art style with updated graphics and more detailed animations?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A CRAP art style with updated graphics and more OVERDONE animations?
    Fix'd. :pac:

Play some Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike or wait for King of Fighters XII, coming June.

Srsly guys Chun-Li looks like @ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Fix'd. :pac:

*Ba-Dum-Tish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BertrandMeyer

I think I'll stay well away from any new Street Fighter games, lest they destroy my childhood. Cheers for the warning.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its all personally preference. Generally I like Street Fighter IV's art style and animation.

Of course characters are gonna look different. Its been 18 years sinces SF II's first release and the characters have gone from 2D to 3D although not gameplay.

The only character that looks bad to me is Blanka. Its even worse if you get his alturnative costume.

After that I think the rest of the characters looks fine.

I mean the complaint about Dhalsim being less mysterious is just a nonsense complaint. I could bash Street Fighter 2 Turbo for Guile sounding so girlie or Street Fighter 3 for the abnormal size feet of most characters.

More important than the cosmetics is the gameplay. What did you think of that?

Did you like it yes/no and what are your reasons for liking/not liking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,294 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nanoman wrote: »
    Blanca is nothing like he used to be - he was a huntched over monster who resembled a dorilla more than a man but now he looks like a man and can stand totally upright!!

Evolution? reconstructive Surgery? Maybe he had bad cramps when SF2 was being filmed.
    E.Honda now has a six back! Yeh he's still fat but they have now given him a 6 pack - what sumo wrestler has a 6 pack!

Are you saying fat people cant work out? :mad:
    Dhalsim can speak and doesnt sound half as mysterious as I always though he was.
    Oh so now you're attacking quiet people!
    Chun Li isn't hot any more

Whats that asian-law about women's looks and aging?
    Ken and Ryu look like they have turned to body building rather than martial arts. I think Ryu is actually wearing make up!
    They live in a much more progressive time and place now. Clearly, Ryu was always a closest homosexual, and they decided they were already really good at martial arts so they bulked up a bit.

What is your problem, man?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Azza wrote: »
    Its all personally preference. Generally I like Street Fighter IV's art style and animation.

Of course characters are gonna look different. Its been 18 years sinces SF II's first release and the characters have gone from 2D to 3D although not gameplay.

The only character that looks bad to me is Blanka. Its even worse if you get his alturnative costume.

After that I think the rest of the characters looks fine.

I mean the complaint about Dhalsim being less mysterious is just a nonsense complaint. I could bash Street Fighter 2 Turbo for Guile sounding so girlie or Street Fighter 3 for the abnormal size feet of most characters.

More important than the cosmetics is the gameplay. What did you think of that?

Did you like it yes/no and what are your reasons for liking/not liking it?
    They did have silly feet come to think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Overheal wrote:
    They live in a much more progressive time and place now. Clearly, Ryu was always a closest homosexual, and they decided they were already really good at martial arts so they bulked up a bit.
    sakuracomic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

sakuracomic.jpg

WTF?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Watch out Ryu......IT'S A TRAP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

sakuracomic.jpg

So good! Love their faces when they're driving off! Hilarious! :3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think I'll stay well away from any new Street Fighter games, lest they destroy my childhood. Cheers for the warning.

Its an amazing game !
    And with the addition of xbox live and everything else they have basically perfected the fighting game

Chun Li has the legs of a titan !!! ...C.Viper is hot too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Who says fat people can't have six packs? Evidence

But on a serious note, any true fighting game fan should be more concerned with the fighting dynamic than with the cosmetics. I think it plays really well and the focus attack brings a lot of strategy into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, I'm not hugely keen on the art direction of SFIV, but the game plays brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

animaX wrote: »

But on a serious note, any true fighting game fan should be more concerned with the fighting dynamic than with the cosmetics. I think it plays really well and the focus attack brings a lot of strategy into it.

Why the hell did the blur the bottom.. It's not like they're real or anything :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Dhalsim could always talk..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BertrandMeyer

I think that's the point of the joke, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I thought all the characters look great at the start except Ryu and Ken, now I actually quite like both. Chun Li doesn't look great, but I'd say more "older" than different.

Anyway, the only graphical element thats really important is Cammy ass shot.

Never a truer word spoken :)

Though i still think ol Chun Li has got it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Nanoman

Not arguing its playability - only had 2 hours with it so difficult to work on the spical moves - and didn't play one player, but I can see that it is very playable,

I agree with the C.Viper quote - looking a lot hotter than Chun Li,

That cartoon strip is brilliant

So my argument is that they didn't need to change the characters that much - or maybe they do to keep things interesting but Blanka should remain more ape like than man, and less of the make up for Ryu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'd agree that they made Chun-li look horrible in game (which is odd as they made her look ok in the cutscenes and also that special vid you can unlock where she's fighting C.Viper) In game she looks like a completely different character.

I actually don't mind the look of the other characters. They got Akuma right imo.

Why couldn't Chun-li of been made to look like this?

Nanoman wrote: »
    but Blanka should remain more ape like than man,

Man, is that a joke?! Have you seen blanka in this game? When standing still he is on all fours and he does every other move exactly as he did in the original. Obviously he has to be on two legs when walking back and forth (otherwise he could dodge projectiles too easily), but he did that in the original anyway! The only new thing is that he stands while doing his focus attack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I had been following SFIV since it was announced so I had a lot of time to get used to the style, things looked a lot worse initially (RYU had bulging round blue eyes and kinda looked like an ape)

But I'm pretty happy with how 90% of the characters made it into 3d. People on here seem to be forgetting there was a lot of street fighter games in between SF2 and SF4. (those talking about blanka , have a look at alpha 3 blanka)

Apart from blanka and those I'm about to mention, I think everyone else transitioned perfectly into 3d. Its the shoto's that look really odd. Arms way too big, they're karate suit (Gi) looks more like a vest than a Gi with ripped off arms. Ryu looked really bad at 1st as I said but he turned out not too bad in the end. Kens feckin HAIR makes him look stupid.

But while they're not perfect, they're ok.

I have one massive problem though.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    They got Akuma right imo.

NOoooooooo!

They made a JOKE out of Akuma. In terms of appearance, SFIV is the worst rendition of Akuma (not including puzzle fighter etc)

He looks pathetic. His feckin trousers are too small for him , his top looks even more like a vest than the other shotos, and generally, he just looks like a little TROLL.

That combined with his english voice makes him utterly embarrassing. He no longer has the bad ass presence he had in the other SF's.

Which is a big shame. Granted , akuma was always gonna be a hard one to pull off.

SF2 akumas
    akuma_hd_500.jpg

Alpha 3 akuma:

akuma-combo1.gifglowing-kanji.gif

SF3 3rd Strike Akuma:
    Akuma_28Street_Fighter29_SFIII.gif?t=1240255772
    230f4-akuma-ragingstorm.gif

SvC akuma : akuma_stand.gif

I'd agree that they made Chun-li look horrible in game (which is odd as they made her look ok in the cutscenes and also that special vid you can unlock where she's fighting C.Viper) In game she looks like a completely different character.

I actually don't mind the look of the other characters. They got Akuma right imo.

Why couldn't Chun-li of been made to look like this?

Cause we'd all lose concentration lookin at the gratuitous panty shot when she does here spinning bird kick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    They made a JOKE out of Akuma. In terms of appearance, SFIV is the worst rendition of Akuma (not including puzzle fighter etc)

I dunno, his trousers in SFIV look identical to the sprites you just linked to for SF2. Personal taste I guess. You can also change the language to Japanese.

I also must be the only person I know that likes Akumas Alt Outfit, his Shimenawa infinity Knot. I haven't bought it, I'll probably wait until they bundle all the alt outfits into one package for 5 bucks or something (god damn dlc :mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Overheal wrote: »
    Evolution? reconstructive Surgery? Maybe he had bad cramps when SF2 was being filmed.

Are you saying fat people cant work out? :mad:

Oh so now you're attacking quiet people!

Whats that asian-law about women's looks and aging?

What is your problem, man?

He'll be having a go at the birds next

Worst thing about the game i just remember....SETH !! What an ass !!

Decided just there to try complete it on hardest difficulty :eek:
    Was a lesson in futility for the first hour, couldn't win a ROUND with any character.
    Eventually found Sagat was the best for him...another 30 mins tryin...finally managed to beat him

But seriously...i was screaming cheat and everything...he ruins the game. Noone should be THAT hard, i know its hardest difficulty n all, but even on medium hes a horror

Thats how an end boss should be! Like Gill before him, they are difficult but makes it all the better when you beat him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I dunno, his trousers in SFIV look identical to the sprites you just linked to for SF2.

nah in sfiv when he does that pose you can see the back of his legs his calves like, i couldnt find an in game shot of it to post though. Just looks like his "GI" is way too small for him lol

lol & yeah don't get me started on the alt costume, with the stupid ropes and akumas very own panty shots , wtf were they thinkin, shoulda just had it similar to ryu

Advertisement