Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope mount

Options
  • 18-04-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

hi i have a weihrauch 60j in .22 hornet ant there is a one piece mount on it at the moment which keeps slipping forward, i dont know what make it is as it came with the rifle when i bought it 2nd hand, i want to buy a good set of mounts for it and i'm wondering what ye would recommend, i have a 6.5-20x50 scope on it so i'd need a high mount anyway, its drilled for a mount but i dont know what sort of mounts will fit it as the mount on it at the moment is attatched to the dovetail which i think is 3/8 inch, i'd prefer to get a mount or a base that screws on but dont know what make and size would fit the holes on my rifle or are they a standard size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

ormondprop wrote: »
    hi i have a weihrauch 60j in .22 hornet ant there is a one piece mount on it at the moment which keeps slipping forward, i dont know what make it is as it came with the rifle when i bought it 2nd hand, i want to buy a good set of mounts for it and i'm wondering what ye would recommend, i have a 6.5-20x50 scope on it so i'd need a high mount anyway, its drilled for a mount but i dont know what sort of mounts will fit it as the mount on it at the moment is attatched to the dovetail which i think is 3/8 inch, i'd prefer to get a mount or a base that screws on but dont know what make and size would fit the holes on my rifle or are they a standard size?
    Hello
    The one piece you have,how many cross bolts does it have?
    Is the dove tail one piece also and is it alloy or steel?11mm?
    You probably only need a good set of rings or to be honest a decent one piece should be even better
    KKK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

my mount only has 2 bolts on it and even when tightened fully it still slips forward, after a few weeks it moves about 1/2 an inch forward even though if you try move it by hand it wont budge, it is a steel mount alrite and looks good quality

ormondprop wrote: »
    my mount only has 2 bolts on it and even when tightened fully it still slips forward, after a few weeks it moves about 1/2 an inch forward even though if you try move it by hand it wont budge, it is a steel mount alrite and looks good quality
    Probably a couple of things you could try
    Drill and tap for another couple of cross bolts(first thing i'd try)
    Buy a recoil block(if mount slipping so easily it might have some lateral movement also)
    Buy new one piece or rings.
    Can you post pic of complete mount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Check and make sure the removable clamping 'jaw' part of the mount is not UPSIDE DOWN! If you look at the end of the removable part you will notice that it will usually have a lip on either side, one sharper & more defined than the other. The sharper lip is usually placed into the rifle dovetail, but sometimes the darn things are accidentally inverted (even out of the packet). Your hornet shouldnt really need a recoil block. A magnet will tell you for certain if the mounts are steel or alloy. Your rifle is German so should have an 11mm dovetail as opposed to 3/8". Are the threads in your existing mount in good nick - are the tightening screws REALLY tight?
    Personally I like Millett Mounts, well made with adjustable bases.

Good point re mount jaw wrong way round,while not knowing the weight of this particular rifle/scope i could not say but in my Hornet days recoil blocks/lugs used to be recomended
    However i also doubt this is the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

No commercial affiliation with these people but they do excellent scopemounts from standard rings to split rings with adjustable bases for very reasonable prices and they ship by US Post: S&K Scopemounts. I got a set of windage adjustable bases and split rings for my Anschutz .22 Hornet from them that put me back about $120 including postage. They're on the rifle for the last two years without any trouble.

Advertisement