Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Mossy Lawn

Options
  • 18-04-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

My front lawn is basically 50% grass 50% moss, the back lawn is more healthy looking 80% grass 20% moss.

I cut them both to the same depth..so why am i getting so much moss in the front??

Is it to do with the amount of sunshine??

And what can i do to reduce the amount of moss??

Thanks in advance PJ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

You are prob getting the moss in the front as it is the shaded part of the house from the sun. That bwould also make it wetter, this would lead to moss growth.

The way to get it out is to hire a de-thatcher then put more seed down. This would leave you with a relativly bare lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Usually it's a lack of drainage. Scarifying the lawn helps as it will remove the thatch and allow water to drain through to the soil. Aerating by using either a rotary aerator or a garden fork will also help.

To kill the moss, buy a couple of bags of lawn sand (not moss-killer+feed+weed) as the grass will grow longer/faster , you'll need to cut it, adding to the thatch. Then, once the moss it dead you need to rake it out using a tined rake (like a leaf rake) or a scarifier and then re-seed.

**Edit** As it's likely to be a recurring problem, it's usually worth buying an electric scarifier because you'll use it twice a year and they cost around €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

Agree with the posts above. Had a similar problem and the scarifier is the best option coupled with Moss killer. Tip also is not to water your grass in the evening as it encourages moss growth...

You can buy shoes with big spikes on them that you clip over your shoes to walk on the grass and help the drainage. Aldi/Lidl do them from time to time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

budfox wrote: »
    Agree with the posts above. Had a similar problem and the scarifier is the best option coupled with Moss killer. Tip also is not to water your grass in the evening as it encourages moss growth...

You can buy shoes with big spikes on them that you clip over your shoes to walk on the grass and help the drainage. Aldi/Lidl do them from time to time...

Would golf shoes have long enough spikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Would golf shoes have long enough spikes?

No. And the divots are very unsightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

Iron sulphate will kill the moss, and is quite cheap (E16 for a 25kg bag, I used less than 4kg on all my lawns) If you're feeling energetic, give the ground a good forking, makes a big difference.

Advertisement