Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Advice Please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

I am new to all this aswell but can I ask a question. If you already have the 18-55mm lens why would you want to keep the wide angle option on a zoom lens?

To answer your question yes Tamron seem to be a good name, I will stand corrected in saying that Sigma seem to be a better make. My father has a sigma 70-300 APO DG on a 450D and it takes some nice shots, plus has a macro function on it which is nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

I see what you mean, its a bit odd but i'm planning on selling or getting rid of my current kit lens so i'll only have to carry one lens rather than multiple lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Potency wrote: »
    I see what you mean, its a bit odd but i'm planning on selling or getting rid of my current kit lens so i'll only have to carry one lens rather than multiple lenses.

TBH that's not a great idea, two lenses covering a long zoom range are always a better than one, and that's entirely down to the laws of physics, it's not possible to make a 10x zoom lens with the same optical performance as two 3x zooms, my advice is to buy a 70-300 lens, either the canon one or the sigma APO version.

nilhg wrote: »
    TBH that's not a great idea, two lenses covering a long zoom range are always a better than one, and that's entirely down to the laws of physics, it's not possible to make a 10x zoom lens with the same optical performance as two 3x zooms, my advice is to buy a 70-300 lens, either the canon one or the sigma APO version.

Well, i'm not what you'd call a photographer. Mainly the photos would be holiday/family photos with the odd moment where i'll feel the artistic side of me come out. For that reason, i don't really see the need to carry more.

If thats the case I dont see why you would have a DSLR, why not just have a decent bridge camera or p+s?

Ehh each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement

So would you have any recommendations for a longer zoom (70-300mm) if I was to get one?
    I might just reconsider :p

If you are looking for a 70-300 and are on a budget have a look at the Sigma 70-300 APO DG. Makesure its the APO version its the slightly better one I think its about €200. Highly recommneded by quite a few people. Its really not that much extra to carry around with you. Most camera bags will accomodate a telephoto lens attached and then a spare lens along side it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The second Sigma is so much cheaper than the first one because it has no optical stabilisation/vibration reduction/image stabilisation/whatever your vendor calls it this week :)

Advertisement