Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Detectors

Options
  • 18-04-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Does those cable detectors work?
    Would it be possible to detect a 2.5 cable in conduit in a wall which is plastered. Does the cable have to be live to detect it?
    If so what make cable detector is best?

If they work could save me alot of work

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i use the fluke volt-alerts for detecting voltage and the tone generators/probes for tracing wires.not aware of anything decent for buried wires .if its a new build
    a metal detector might locate a buried box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Some do, some dont.

However, IMO, a null reading is not to be relied on: I am happy with them when they tell me the cable is live but never rely on a null answer:)

Perhaps if u describe the issue we might have some suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for replies

Its a new build and last socket in corner room not working so i think one of the sockets may have been plastered over.

Can u buy metal detector or hire them out?
    Homebase sell voltage detectors would these be of any use?

Thanks for advice in advance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Homebase sell voltage detectors would these be of any use?
    I would not take a present of one of these. Dont trust them at all.

Perhaps a wire has come loose at the last point before this socket. Check live neutral and earth before assuming a socket has been missed.

Checked everything nothing belling out. Also 5 amp socket not working beside it.
    Where can u get good metal detector.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Checked everything nothing belling out. Also 5 amp socket not working beside it.
    Where can u get good metal detector.
    I have never seen any metal detector solving a problem like this. Ferrous materials are easier to detect than copper. Are the back boxes plastic or metal??

Can you talk to the sparks that wired the place???
    If not I would find out where these socket should be fed from. Then I would lift a floor board/look in the attic and work out where the plastered in socket should be. Remember all cable runs should be vertical. Sockets are (generally!) all mounted at the same height. This will make it easier to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

is there a similar house next door that you could sport where the sockets should be?

This should have been picked up by the electrician during a simple power test. You could ask them back to fix it .
    With no load/current those detectors will not be worth much. I've also never seen a metal detector used to find a socket. Maplins have them, I'd test one on a back box before I bought one, maybe there is a better one out there.

Thanks stoner. Its a one off house.

I hired one of those cable detectors out in hire shop today. There worst than useless.

Thanks for replies. Will sort something out.

worst than useless.
    A cable detector, yes I thought you would find that alright! As Stoner said they work off the current flowing in the cable. No current would be flowing in that cable section in this case.

But a metal detector is a different animal. This would work if the back box is metal.

A few questions:

Where is this problem, upstairs or downstairs??

Is it a bungalow, or dormer, or what tpye of house is it??

Are the floors wooden or concrete?

What is at the other side of the wall with the problem sockets?

What is the wall made of??

Upstairs outside wall flat roof detached house solid timber floors.
    Will take off skerting think its best option.

Thanks for all advice very helpful

• Advertisement

Ok, is it possible to lift floor boards?? Are they T & G?? This is a solid wall I guess?? You should not run a power cable behind a skirting board (horizontally).

Solid wall and solid oak floors T&G.
    Its in accordance with ETCI regulations as far as i know to run a cable behind skerting.

Thanks for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the break in the circuit should narrow it down give the wall a few taps.i usually make a video or mark points on the plan due to past problems.don't know if metal detector will work or not.

Its in accordance with ETCI regulations as far as i know to run a cable behind skerting.
    No it is not. There is too uch of a danger of someone putting a nail through it. They could not reasnobly expect a power cable to be behind it.

You might be permitted to if the cable was in a steel conduit.

Advertisement