Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 50 book challenge for 2009

• 18-04-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

So far this year I've read:

01. What I Was by Meg Rosoff
    02. The Mediator: Love you to Death by Meg Cabot
    03. Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon, Brett Mathews and Will Conrad
    04. Serenity: Better Days by Joss Whedon, Brett Mathews and Will Conrad
    05. The Butterfly Tattoo by Phillip Pullman
    06. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
    07. The Mediator: High Stakes by Meg Cabot
    08. The Mediator: Mean Spirits by Meg Cabot
    09. NANA Vol. 12 by Ai Yazawa
    10. NANA Vol. 13 by Ai Yazawa
    11. Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
    12. The Mediator: Young Blood by Meg Cabot
    13. The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer
    14. Knife Edge by Malorie Blackman
    15. The Mediator: Grave Doubts by Meg Cabot
    16. The Mediator: Heaven Sent by Meg Cabot
    17. NANA Vol. 14 by Ai Yazawa
    18. Sophisticated Boom Boom by John Kelly
    19. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    20. The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde
    21. Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
    22. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

All those kids books and graphic novels have given me one heck of a head start. :D Even though I feel like I'm cheating a little bit...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

23. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
    24. Checkmate by Malorie Blackman
    25. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
    26. Coraline (Graphic Novel) by Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

27. The Bro Code by "Barney Stinson"

How I Met Your Mother tie-in. Bit meh, but a few laughs here and there.

28. Sin City: The Hard Goodbye by Frank Miller

Of the four Sin City books I've read recently, this one's by far the best. It kind of gets a bit repetitive from here on out.

29. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For by Frank Miller

This one was still good, but Dwight is nowhere near as interesting as Marv.

30. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

Loved it.

31. Pirates by Celia Rees

Liked her Witch Child books as a tween, saw this in the library and decided to read it for old times sake... Pretty dreadful.

32. Holes by Louis Sachar

I've been meaning to read this since I was about 10. I liked it, but I think I would've enjoyed it more back then.

33. Sin City: The Big Fat Kill by Frank Miller

Meh.

34. The Way I Am by Eminem

I got this for Christmas. (one of the most random presents ever) I do like Eminem when he's actually writing about you know... stuff ... as opposed to taking the piss out of random celebrities but I didn't enjoy it all that much.

35. How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life by Vaavya Viswanathan

I'd heard about this online and how it had plagiarised bits of other novels and before the author got found out there was a movie deal and a sequel in the works. I knew, holding it my hands before I paid four whole euros for the damn thing that I'd regret it. Jesus Christ, if you're going to plagiarise someone else's work at least plagiarise something half decent.

36. Kids in the Riot: High and Low With The Libertines by Pete Welsh

Really good biography. Doesn't paint Doherty as a saint or tragically misunderstood artiste which is nice.

37. Nation by Terry Pratchett

WHY, OH WHY HAVE I NOT READ ANY PRATCHETT UP TO THIS POINT? [/caps] Complete and utter awesome.

38. Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Mixed feelings about this one. It was enjoyable enough, but the whole black and whiteness of the priest and the religious people being the bad guys and the gypsies and less religious or non religious people being the heroes kind of got on my nerves. It's never as simple as that. Priests aren't all evil b@stards. Gypsies aren't all just misunderstood. People are people and characters shouldn't be defined by their beliefs or their lifestyle or your own prejudices. I mean, I think Catholicism (and religion in general) is a load of BS but you can be a hardline Catholic and still be a good, intelligent person. You can also be an atheist and be a horrible, close minded arsehole.

39. Sin City: That Yellow Bastard by Frank Miller.

Done.

40. Boy by Roald Dahl

I love love love love love Roald Dahl. Every bit as good as it was when I was a kid. =]

41. John the Revelator by Peter Murphy

I was waiting for a train in Heuston last week and had exactly €13 in my pocket. I'd wanted to read this for ages and saw it in Easons and had the choice of eating or buying this book. Keep in mind that it was half three in the afternoon and I had literally eaten nothing since dinner the previous evening.
    I bought the book.
    So I sat down and read the first few pages and I had this horrible sinking feeling that this was going to be just like that Ardal O' Hanlon book that I absolutely hated, so I put it in my bag and went back to my Kurt Cobain biography, my stomach rumbling the whole time.
    Thankfully, it's a hell of a lot better than Talk of the Town. Not as good as I thought it would be, be I liked it... I wish I'd had enough money for a sandwich or something though... That train ride home wasn't fun...

Advertisement