Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rumour: XBL "VIP" Membership?

• 18-04-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-2539-RUMOR--New-Xbox-LIVE-
    According to a post over at Hip Hop Game Show, they talk about the possibility of a new Xbox LIVE membership option, the VIP Membership.

"According to a customers survey done in France, Microsoft is considering a new level of Xbox Live called the VIP service. Now with this upgraded version, users will be able to get online storage for their content, a brand new matchmaking option, a option that allows the user too send free invitations to silver members, and better connectivity. It’s no denying that Xbox Live’s gold members are reaping the awards that Microsoft has provided them and with this optional addition it can’t do anything but expand on this already great feature."

Would you be willing to shell out more than Xbox LIVE's Gold price for more features?

Hope its BS, doesn't sound like something I want to pay more for.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

In times like these, I don't think they could afford to put up the price on it, especially for something a majority of people won't use. But, If they replace this "VIP" service with Gold, and made Gold free I'd be up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dman001 wrote: »
    In times like these, I don't think they could afford to put up the price on it, especially for something a majority of people won't use. But, If they replace this "VIP" service with Gold, and made Gold free I'd be up for it.

Doubt that. :P

As long as the Gold is left as it is I don't see why too many should be complaining.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, leave Gold as it is, and they can add all the bull**** they want to VIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

as some one who doesnt play on-line very often this would not make me cough up for a sub , i get a month code when i have a game i want to play online.

Ability to play on line should be free , after all the cost of games is enough alas too may folk are willing to pay for for ms to make it free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Desmondo2000

money hungry whores although online storage sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

It won't happen, it was touted around for a while before the new live update at xmas, but as far as I know it was decided that people wouldn't pay the extra, so they decided to leave it off.Now it may happen in the future but the way the global economy is and competition from other consoles I reckon if they are gonna role it out it won'tbe until the new xbox gets released and a new version of live comes online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

better connectivity? fcuk u MS..fix the hackers first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

This will be about as successful as their Zune! If they touch the Gold service to sacrifice for this VIP service. There could very well be a mass migration to PSN network for those who own both consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol this is the kind of stunts that make me glad i chose PC and PS3 to get my online gaming fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'd prefer if they dropped the price of Gold, or allow Silver users to play online.

If they did introduce a VIP sub, I don't think charging more than the current €60 (if you don't know where to look) would be viable, so perhaps Gold prices would be reduced? A €30 Gold sub (that you could find online for €15....) would be more appealing.

They really have to do something different either before or with the launch of the next console. No matter how good XBL is compared to PSN (don't flame me....), it's still a lot dearer than free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

lol this is the kind of stunts that make me glad i chose PC and PS3 to get my online gaming fix

What kind of stunt? Offering a new service that you don't have to get if you don't want, and doesn't affect you at all if you choose not to get it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm yes it does,

a lot of my friends have xboxes, i'd like to play against them online.

i'm just not a fool enough to part with a monthly fee to play a game against my friends.

that's the stunt i'm talking about plain and simple. it's a tax pure and simple for one main feature of the console.

adding another pay feature just heightens my chance of never buying an xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

better connectivity? fcuk u MS..fix the hackers first.

Hackers????

I agree with creamy goodness, MS are a sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I rather pay for live than play PS3 online. I find it very awkward to play online to PS3 in comparsion to xbox. You really appreciate the MS's interface after you play PS3 online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

There trying to make money lost from other people selling 1 years gold for 30 - 40 euro!

It would have to be a small increase in cost for me to buy it.. like a tenner..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Meh, nothing too exciting about what they would be offering. If they offered 2 free arcade games a month or something then yes I'd go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

creggy wrote: »
    I rather pay for live than play PS3 online. I find it very awkward to play online to PS3 in comparsion to xbox. You really appreciate the MS's interface after you play PS3 online.

My Gold Live is due to be up in June & I'm canceling it, I got a ps3 & online is as good if not better than xbox live, and it's free. I'm just wondering how do you feel that it's awkward as I find it easier than live, especially since Microsoft changed the look of everything. Also, does anyone know how i cancel my Gold Live account because last year they automatically took money from my credit card, even though i never gave permission for them to do it, is this legal?

Dunnie1982.png dunnie1982.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You have to ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    My Gold Live is due to be up in June & I'm canceling it, I got a ps3 & online is as good if not better than xbox live, and it's free. I'm just wondering how do you feel that it's awkward as I find it easier than live, especially since Microsoft changed the look of everything. Also, does anyone know how i cancel my Gold Live account because last year they automatically took money from my credit card, even though i never gave permission for them to do it, is this legal?

It's the small things that make it better, from accepting invites to adding friends. The guide button is a godsend.

Some games on the PS3 are awful to online to play with mainly games from Konami for example, I needed to make a account with Konami so to play PES and MGS4 online, very annoying.

It's just cleaner looking overall. I was never a fan of XMB on the PSP so, PS3 wasn't going to help.

You did give them permission, it's on the T&C's when you buy it, you'll need to ring them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

It's the small things that make it better, from accepting invites to adding friends. The guide button is a godsend.

Some games on the PS3 are awful to online to play with mainly games from Konami for example, I needed to make a account with Konami so to play PES and MGS4 online, very annoying.

It's just cleaner looking overall. I was never a fan of XMB on the PSP so, PS3 wasn't going to help.

You did give them permission, it's on the T&C's when you buy it, you'll need to ring them up.

I suppose it's just a matter of opinion really, haven't tried metal gear online and wouldn't touch new pes with barge pole (they used to be my favourite games but brought back 2009, as i found it shockingly bad & got fifa instead & haven't looked back since) thanks for letting me know how to cancel live anyway.

Dunnie1982.png dunnie1982.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 smdylan

couldnt agree more you get what you pay for at the end of the day, just look how horrible psn is(no offense to the lovely ps3 owners :D) im sick of people not buying an xbox purely on the fact that live isnt free, fork up a few quid, its only 7 euro for a month less then a pack of smokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd love to hear more about all these benefits that we're supposedly reaping according to the article!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

dazftw wrote: »
    There trying to make money lost from other people selling 1 years gold for 30 - 40 euro!

I doubt MS make any loss whatsoever from that, the people selling it for that price merely make less profit than the greedy shops who add a massive markup on to it...

Doesn't bother me so long as they leave the gold membership alone (or better yet make it cheaper and sell the VIP membership for the current gold price)

tman wrote: »
    I doubt MS make any loss whatsoever from that, the people selling it for that price merely make less profit than the greedy shops who add a massive markup on to it...

Doesn't bother me so long as they leave the gold membership alone (or better yet make it cheaper and sell the VIP membership for the current gold price)

but you have to wonder; would the gold service suffer in anyway? im all for making things cheaper as long as the service doesnt get messed up because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

smdylan wrote: »
    couldnt agree more you get what you pay for at the end of the day, just look how horrible psn is(no offense to the lovely ps3 owners :D) im sick of people not buying an xbox purely on the fact that live isnt free, fork up a few quid, its only 7 euro for a month less then a pack of smokes.

"im sick of people" rehashing this "PSN SUCKS LOL" BS, with nothing to back it up.

At first it wasn't up to the standard of XBL, but it is easily on par with it now, and it's free. Most people who spew this ****e have never even tried the PSN.

I have had both consoles since launch, and my PS3 is getting a lot more use than the 360 for the last year or so.

You need to experience both before making these tired, useless observations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I have tried both, I have both, and I still wouldn't describe PSN as "easily on par". I join a chat party every day with a group of people, all playing different games, sending cross-game invites, I can't do that on PSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

WellyJ wrote: »
    "im sick of people" rehashing this "PSN SUCKS LOL" BS, with nothing to back it up.

At first it wasn't up to the standard of XBL, but it is easily on par with it now, and it's free. Most people who spew this ****e have never even tried the PSN.

I have had both consoles since launch, and my PS3 is getting a lot more use than the 360 for the last year or so.

I have used both and with some of the games on PSN is good some of them are still the same but.
    I still prefer Xbox because with every game with online enabled the quality is the same high quality and easier to use and that is far from the truth with PSN.
    Yes it is ridicoulus with some people never even using a PS3 before and still commenting on the quality but I think it is still not up to scratch.

Also this is an old enough thread about a rumour that is not true

WellyJ wrote: »

well i have actually played on PSN it was however quite awhile ago and as you pointed out yes it wasn't very good, i havent tried it recently as i dont own a ps3 my mates does, but if you say it has improved i'll take your word for it

Advertisement