Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline travel "taxes"

Options
  • 18-04-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I was looking up a few flights to goto the States in June and the variations in the "taxes and charges" are unbelieveable

For example;

Air Canada (DUB - LHR - YYZ - SFO - YYZ - LHR - DUB) Total "taxes and charges) = €102.00 (1*Irish departure, 3 * LHR Departures, 2 * Canada Departures, 1 * US Departure)

Virgin Atlantic \ British Airways \ United (DUB - LHR - SFO - LHR - DUB) Total "taxes and charges" = €325.00

As a flight may find it difficult to operate without an airport, the takeoff and landing charges should really be part of the ticket price and not an add-on.

Does anyone else find these charges a bit excessive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That's why they are called "taxes and charges" and not just taxes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

welcome to reality where everyone else knows about these charges, those 1cent flights do not end up being 1c :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I am well aware that 1c flights don't normally end up costing 1c. The whole point was that the "taxes and charges" should be identical between airlines on the same route.

The flight with 2 extra take-off and landings is charging 33% of the taxes and charges of the other airlines. The Air Canada site lists the charges and it seems that they are paying every conceivable charge that could be levied by the airport operators and governments concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

each airline have a deal with the airports, i don't expect any of them pay the same in the same airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The charges an airline pays are variable in relation to the passanger numbers.

Take heathrow as an example. It is a hub for BA. They could have 5000/15000/25000 people through there with 500 take off and landings in a day, EI may have 1000 people with 10 flights a day. Do you expect them to both pay the same charges.

No. Of course not. When you are delivering big volumes, you get clout with your fees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Dublin airport publish their charges

http://www.dublinairport.com/about-us/airport_charges.html

I think some airlines mix up what passengers consider airfare and what is considered taxes & charges. For example, I just checked AC and BA for similar flights to the ones you mentioned. All prices in euro.

AC:
    Fare 624
    Taxes & Charges 128.41
    Total 752.41

BA:
    Fare 262
    Taxes & Charges 335.20
    Total 597.20

Fair enough, BA taxes and charges are a lot higher, but the fare is significantly lower. You would be making a saving of over 150 to go with BA. Airlines do this in order to advertise low fares. To be prudent, always look at the bottom line price you pay and then decide who is offering you good value. In this case it is BA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

each airline have a deal with the airports, i don't expect any of them pay the same in the same airport.

No they don't, they have a specific price they pay based on the services they use.

Ryanair were slapped on the wrists a while back for that very practise.

craichoe wrote: »
    No they don't, they have a specific price they pay based on the services they use.

Ryanair were slapped on the wrists a while back for that very practise.

Sure OK :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sure OK :rolleyes: :D

http://www.travelvideo.tv/news/airlines-railways/01-30-2004/airlines-braced-for-eu-ruling-on-low-fare-airlines

Its deemed as anti-competitive, how would any small airline ever compete ?

Actually BAA are increasing their landing fees:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7288937.stm

Its nothing to do with the 'clout' of the Airline, its about the services they use at the Airport, Airbridge, Bus, Closer Terminal etc.

So my statement is exactly correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

jahalpin wrote: »
    I was looking up a few flights to goto the States in June and the variations in the "taxes and charges" are unbelieveable

For example;

Air Canada (DUB - LHR - YYZ - SFO - YYZ - LHR - DUB) Total "taxes and charges) = €102.00 (1*Irish departure, 3 * LHR Departures, 2 * Canada Departures, 1 * US Departure)

Virgin Atlantic \ British Airways \ United (DUB - LHR - SFO - LHR - DUB) Total "taxes and charges" = €325.00

As a flight may find it difficult to operate without an airport, the takeoff and landing charges should really be part of the ticket price and not an add-on.

Does anyone else find these charges a bit excessive?

I just lashed in random dates for this route with Air Canada...

Here's the "taxes and charges":

Tax: Irish Airport Security Charge €3.90
    Tax: Irish Passenger Charge €7.70
    Tax: Irish Air Travel Tax €10.00
    Tax: USDA APHIS Fee $5.00
    Tax: US Immigration Fee $7.00
    Tax: US Customs Fee $5.50
    Tax: Toronto Airport Improvement Fee C$20.00
    Tax: Canadian Goods and Services Tax C$1.00
    Tax: US International Arrival Tax $16.10
    Tax: Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge C$17.00
    Tax: United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge £37.30
    Tax: AC YQ surcharge €17.00
    Tax: US International Departure Tax $16.10
    Tax: US September 11th Security Fee $2.50
    Tax: US Passenger Facility Charge $4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jahalpin wrote: »
    The whole point was that the "taxes and charges" should be identical between airlines on the same route.
    Taxes maybe, but not charges. I presume charges could be associated with just that airline.
    mick_irl wrote: »
    Tax: United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge £37.30
    :eek: are they giving out the BJs that ryanair talked about?

Advertisement