Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal? Pictures of children on website??

• 18-04-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am setting up a website to show people my pictures.

However I have a question about putting pictures of children on the site.

1. In some pictures I have asked the children to pose I have gotten permission from their parents or teacher.
    eg A school concert I was asked to take pictures at by a teacher. Can I put the pictures on my site?

2. In some pictures I have just taken some of children on the street at a St Paddys day parade. Can I put the pictures on my site? edit: They are on a float, not posed and I have no permission from anyone

edit: Also do you think I would get any angry parents complaining about their children's pictures online?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why couldn't you?? Yes, of course you can.

I've some images of kids on my website and my flickr.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our school we have to get written permission to use photos of children on the web, silly when they feature regularly on local papers, but that's the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i think it would make sense to as much as possible to get permission fromthe parents

also dont put names against any of the pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Isn't the world turning into a very sad place when you even have to consider a question like this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hagar wrote: »
    Isn't the world turning into a very sad place when you even have to consider a question like this?
    I agree Hagar, but parents seem to panic if it is anything online, yet have no problem having a child with full name and address on the local paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Hagar wrote: »

On the contrary. The issues have always there, but technology (the interweb) has changed a lot of things in the last 10 or so years. Questions like this can only enable the public at large in being aware of the issues.

In reply to the OP, I think the advice from Paul and stcstc is spot on. Getting the parents advice for the images is the way to go.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not a legal opinion but i'd think you are in the clear so long as general privacy isn't infringed upon. ie. people have the right to privacy in certain places - now if your child is in a public performance then you can't reasonably expect to not have your child photographed. If your child is on the street playing then there is no presumption of privacy although you might get a thump from the Dad should you be caught taking pictures of the kids. If you stick your camera lens through the letterbox of someone's house and happen to catch their kids doing the hokey pokey and publish that then you are in legal do do.

Depending on the type of individual you are you might see your way to having a take down policy should anyone be upset at their children's images on the internet but you wouldn't legally be required to do so. Might save you from getting a thump though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Afaik No,

Saw something in a kerry paper recently concerning children and photos and unique to kerry i'll try and find it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

padocon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am setting up a website to show people my pictures.

However I have a question about putting pictures of children on the site.

1. In some pictures I have asked the children to pose I have gotten permission from their parents or teacher.
    eg A school concert I was asked to take pictures at by a teacher. Can I put the pictures on my site?

2. In some pictures I have just taken some of children on the street at a St Paddys day parade. Can I put the pictures on my site? edit: They are on a float, not posed and I have no permission from anyone

edit: Also do you think I would get any angry parents complaining about their children's pictures online?

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

A lot depends on the purpose of the site. If it's to promote you commercially then you probably need permission. Where kids are concerned, it's worth getting parental clearance always. In the case of photographs taken on behalf of the school I would definitely look at getting school clearance.

That being said, if it's your personal gallery site as an artist, and the photographs were shot in public, technically you don't need permission.

Parents may complain about their children's pictures online - but ultimately all you can offer to do is take them down. I know I would if it were me.

With respect to it being sad that you have to ask that question, it's very much the nature of the world. People have irrational fears and irrational needs to control. I am not sure that it is a good thing. The main fear that most people have - of paedophiles - is, I would think, largely unwarranted. But people do have a control freakery issue as well. I am not sure I blame them though. I think if I had kids I'd probably like to know who has what pictures of them now, especially as picture can go so far in a way that they couldn't when we all had film cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

My 2cents, read somewhere about commercial gain and model release, the can do's and donts regarding using photos without subjects permission, will try to dig it up.

I'd just get a decent Model Release Form for Adults and another for Minors.

Yup, crazy world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement