Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry's Sig.

Options
  • 19-04-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious as to what the rules are on sigs.

I noticed the below in Terry's sig as he's a user and also a mod I find this to be in very poor taste.

He's basically calling another user a retard via his sig

is it possible to get some clarification on this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=30961
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I didn't call anyone a retard.
    I said the post was retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Terry wrote: »
    I didn't call anyone a retard.
    I said the post was retarded.

that's implying the user who posted is a retard no?

ntlbell wrote: »
    that's implying the user who posted is a retard no?
    Not my intention, but if that's how you see it, then it seems to me that you have a problem understanding the definition of the word "retarded".

Not my intention, but if that's how you see it, then it seems to me that you have a problem with the definition of the word "retarded".

mentally retarded persons is the dictionary one

do you have a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Not my intention, but if that's how you see it, then it seems to me that you have a problem understanding the definition of the word "retarded".

i agree with ya here terry, thats one bad post

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    mentally retarded persons is the dictionary one

do you have a different one?
    Yes.
    Limited in development.
    The post is limited in development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The post did seem retarded to me, but others might disagree, however, it doesn't mean the poster is retarded, although he would definitely on my long-term retard assessment list forthwith if I had read it.

Not that he's overly worried. I'm sure

stovelid wrote: »
    The post did seem retarded to me, but others might disagree, however, it doesn't mean the poster is retarded, although he would definitely on my long-term retard assessment list forthwith if I had read it.

Not that he's overly worried. I'm sure
    Well I did state on thread that the first person who posted suggested that teachers strike during the Summer holidays would have their post linked to in my sig.
    I also stated on thread that it was the most retarded thing I had ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That site deserves this:

facepalm_riker.jpg

• Advertisement

Cool, I just wanted to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I fail to see the difference between :

"(I think) you're retarded"
    "(I think) what you say is retarded"
    "(I think) your post is retarded"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Alan Rouge wrote: »

I sometimes see the odd 'stupid' (imo, of course) post from somebody I generally like. I would count some of mine in that category too.

Admittedly, saying that it's retarded creates ambiguity though.

The same user could very easily come up with the greatest post ever made.
    Therefore calling him retarded is
    **** it. I'm drunk and tired. I';ll get back to this in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Do I think Thomas Friedman is a retard? No

Do I think every single word Thomas Friedman has written in relation to economic theory is seriously retarded in a special class way? F↓ck yeah!

Do you see the distinction?

henbane wrote: »
    Do I think Thomas Friedman is a retard? No

Do I think every single word Thomas Friedman has written in relation to economic theory is seriously retarded in a special class way? F↓ck yeah!

Do you see the distinction?

loud and clear cheif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Possibly one of the most retarded threads ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think the connotation of Retarded being used here - to clarify your quandary - would be

1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede. –verb (used without object) 2. to be delayed.

In this case, adding noise to interrupt the signal in the thread by suggesting Teachers strike during the summer instead of exam time - is counter productive to thread; in which, the topics involved were both venting frustration over the situation and looking for meaningful solutions. The suggestion in dispute would be backward to that logic: it only takes about 5 seconds of inner-monologue for an individual to realize that the idea is not feasible, since summer-time leaves no leverage for siptu whatsoever, whereas exam time, which provides them the greatest amount of leverage as opposed to 0.00%.

Hence, anyone posting in the thread already would know that striking to the summer is Not an Option, period. Furthermore, by posting said non-option in-thread you have wasted roughly 30 seconds (60 seconds in this case, as you stop to consider wtf was Guarramok thinking when he wrote this?) of the reader's time, and delayed them from their objective, which is to read meaningful posts, and provide their own meaningful insights.

In conclusion, that post, ergo, was retarded.

This is not to say that Guarramok is retarded. Maybe he just posted in haste and did not stop for that critical moment to realise that he was about to post flamebait. An individual can carry out acts which hinder, impose and delay the objectives of themselves and others, and these acts in and of themselves can be deemed Retarded. If a ninja were to dispense caltrops to retard the progress of his would-be pursuers, would this in turn make the ninja in question a retard? Or would it make him a retarder? Interesting...

To Further my point, I have composed, what amounts to, a very retarded post, since several of you will stop to click the link on Caltrops, or have to google words like connotation, quandary and ergo even though I could have just said these things in simple English that was understood conventionaly. However, I did not - I even added a grammatical error or two to force you to re-read - and now, you have been successfuly delayed. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Overheal wrote: »
    In conclusion, that post, ergo, was retarded.

Using 'in conclusion' and 'ergo' in the same sentence seems vaguely retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and I think we're done. This thread's growth into an endless blackhole of drivel has now been retarded.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement