Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good carpenter / diy person want a nixer?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Howdy all,

I have a couple of small carpentry jobs that I want to do in my house in Beaumont Dublin. The main one is putting up shelves in my sitting room. In the room there's a recessed space either side of the chimney breast approx 1420 mm wide on one side and 1360 on the other, as shown in the first picture attached. The chimney breast is 350mm deep. I want to fit shelves into this space on both sides and have them look like they are part of the walls, similar to the one in the left of the second picture. So if anyone is on for this please reply or pm me with details.

Alternatively if anyone reading this knows of someone who might be on for it I would appreciate putting us in contact.

(Also how much roughly could a person expect to pay for a job like this?)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Howdy all,

I have a couple of small carpentry jobs that I want to do in my house in Beaumont Dublin. The main one is putting up shelves in my sitting room. In the room there's a recessed space either side of the chimney breast approx 142 mm wide, as shown in the first picture attached. I want to fit shelves into this space on both sides and have them look like they are part of the walls, similar to the one in the left of the second picture. So if anyone is on for this please reply or pm me with details.

Alternatively if anyone reading this knows of someone who might be on for it I would appreciate putting us in contact.

(Also how much roughly could a person expect to pay for a job like this?)

Cheers.
    Just checking a few details
    142 mm is less than 6 inches:D

what depth is the reveal on the window and depth of the chimney breast?

Have u considered IKEA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Just checking a few details
    142 mm is less than 6 inches:D

what depth is the reveal on the window and depth of the chimney breast?

Have u considered IKEA

Oops thanks Carlow, that's cm so have updated to mm. The chimney breast is 350mm deep...there's a door not a window on the other side and the reveal is 350mm also.

I thought about Ikea but I didn't think it possible to get shelves the exact size and also to get them to look the way I want i.e as if they are attached or built in to the wall. Maybe there is so if anyone knows then I'd be glad to hear about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Oops thanks Carlow, that's cm so have updated to mm. The chimney breast is 350mm deep...there's a door not a window on the other side and the reveal is 350mm also.

thw window in the photo. what is the distance from edge of window to corner of wall inside?. you cannot fit anything wider than that or it will obstruct window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    All you need is a few sheets of mdf it is not a big job if you want a local lad pm me and I will give you a number of a top class carpenter

thw window in the photo. what is the distance from edge of window to corner of wall inside?. you cannot fit anything wider than that or it will obstruct window.

Sorry it's a double door and it's 350mm also, same as the depth of the chimney breast.

• Advertisement

Anyone else interested in this? I got one quote so far but I thought it was expensive, so I want to get a couple more if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Carpenter09

I could help you out if your're still for this to be done. PM me

Ok got the job done at a good price, thanks to Paul who got in touch after seeing this post. Here's a pic of the shelves on one side after a coat of paint if anyone's interested.

One question - the shelves are mdf and I've put one coat of matt emulsion paint on so far. What's the most suitable paint to finish off...would a vinyl / silk type paint be better than emulsion?

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    All you need is a few sheets of mdf it is not a big job if you want a local lad pm me and I will give you a number of a top class carpenter

Carpenter has done a lot of very good work for me over the last few years.
    Redman

Advertisement