Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF TDs face down Cowen over bonus

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

maninasia wrote: »
    I think your logic is way off. I don't think the salary would come into it for many businesspeople who want to get into politics. They already have a pile of money. Berlusconi PM of Italy, Bloomberg Mayor of NY. Usually it's the urge to change things, get their hands on power, try something different.

This is an important distinction - people say we should pay our politicians a lot of money so we get the best. They heard this about capitalism and they think it applies to politics too which is a fallacy. People enter politics for two reasons - power or a desire for change. If someone wants either of those, they'll do it regardless of wages.

Likewise the argument that we should pay them lots to avoid corruption. If someone has a tendency for corruption, they'll probably accept bribes even if they're well paid.

The biggest problem Ireland faces is that we keep voting in bad politicians so there's no incentive for good people to enter politics - they'll be beaten to the post by the son of a TD or a TD who is good for fixing potholes. If they do get elected, they'll quickly realise they won't get voted back in if they don't perform the same crap our current TDs do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

People who are in politics shouldn't be in it for the money, and that's that. And they should be paid in line with the OECD averages for a state of our size, not some internal numbers made from thin air.

And if we cut their wages to the average industrial and managed all expenses and offices and the like from a (hopefully) impartial organisation, would we lose all our politicians? Would we lose all the talent? (Talent? What talent?)

No. Because these people are more fond of the power than the pound. Or they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Alcatel wrote: »
    People who are in politics shouldn't be in it for the money, and that's that. And they should be paid in line with the OECD averages for a state of our size, not some internal numbers made from thin air.

And if we cut their wages to the average industrial and managed all expenses and offices and the like from a (hopefully) impartial organisation, would we lose all our politicians? Would we lose all the talent? (Talent? What talent?)

No. Because these people are more fond of the power than the pound. Or they should be.

Aside from the fact that it will be impossible to attract a new breed of politician with enhanced skills and experience, do you really believe the current gang would do the job for the average industrial wage ? ? ? I think you're foolin' yourself there . .
    maninasia wrote:
    I think your logic is way off. I don't think the salary would come into it for many businesspeople who want to get into politics. They already have a pile of money. Berlusconi PM of Italy, Bloomberg Mayor of NY. Usually it's the urge to change things, get their hands on power, try something different.

There is a really significant difference between attracting millionaires into politics for power / change and what I have been suggesting . .

I think we need more politicians who have a business background . . who have held senior positions in succesful private sector organisations. . . who have had formal leadership skills training . . People at this level, in my view will make better politicians than the teachers / family dynasties we have now but will do so as a career choice if it provides the potential to grow their career . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Aside from the fact that it will be impossible to attract a new breed of politician with enhanced skills and experience, do you really believe the current gang would do the job for the average industrial wage ? ? ?

All the more reason to give them the average industrial wage. It would rid the country of parasites like that, for once and for all.
    I think we need more politicians who have a business background . . who have held senior positions in succesful private sector organisations. . . who have had formal leadership skills training . . People at this level, in my view will make better politicians than the teachers / family dynasties we have now but will do so as a career choice if it provides the potential to grow their career . .

There you go again: High-powered businessmen will make better politicians than teachers. What have you got against teachers? Do you think that teachers haven't had 'formal leadership skills training'?

As I have said before, the Government needs people with a wide variety of knowledge and skills, including economic and legal experts, coupled with effectiveness, efficiency, and credible leadership, with more than a tenuous connection with integrity and humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

The Raven. wrote: »
    There you go again: High-powered businessmen will make better politicians than teachers. What have you got against teachers? Do you think that teachers haven't had 'formal leadership skills training'?

Nothing at all against teachers . . However, the answer is No, they do not get formal leadership training . .

As I have said before, running the government is a business . . our biggest business with a huge budget . . People who have worked in business and have had to deliver profit against a large budget are in my view inherently more qualified to successfully carry out this task than people who have not. . .

Ask yourself this question, why is there so much wastage allowed in the public sector . . . money being wasted all over the place ! Why does this not happen in the private sector. . ?

Why did we choose a medic to head up our health service. . why not someone who has run a similar sized organisation efficiently. I know Prof Drumm is not a politician but the analogy is valid. We need to start selecting the right people to run our businesses for us (and by that I mean our government, our health service etc etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

We need people who are not career politicians to be able to get involved in politics. The world has changed and just having the same guys running for election year after year is not giving the Irish government enough up to date skills and experience in different areas. It needs to be shaken up. The presidential system of politics (which has it's own issues), allow relative newcomers and outsiders to come in and make viable bids for the top post without having to depend too much on entrenched interest support.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

For all the bitching and moaning about these over paid, useless shower of village idiots, I would lay money on them all getting back in at the next election with cries of "the alternative is worse". :confused:
    Nothing will change because the voters keep re-electing the ineffectual, gibbering fools that have their heads so far in the trough that they can't see what is happening in the real world.:mad:

If the voters don't send the message that their behaviour is unacceptable by dumping them at the next and subsequent elections (if the alternative turns out to be worse), nothing will change, especially as the decendents of this shower will be standing for election in years to come (the irish aristocracy).

Advertisement