Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson vs Benitez thread

• 19-04-2009 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Ferguson can't stop talking about Benitez, whether it's to do with Allardyce, his contract, or spare time. I think it's rather pathetic, it's not mind games but rather attempted bullying. Ferguson is more than a bully, he's a tyrant, who obviously just hates Rafa since that blown out statement of facts, and is now trying to alienate someone already considered an outsider. Obviously Allardyce doesn't like Rafa because he's a foreigner stealing their jobs. Their collusion is simply to turn more people against Benitez. As I said, pathetic.
    The Manchester United boss is not entirely certain why the Spaniard insists on taking aboard so much responsibility...
    18 Apr 2009 09:08:25

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has questioned the reasoning behind Rafael Benitez's alleged insistence that he has more control with regard to Liverpool's transfers.

It was reported that the Spaniard had asked for more responsibility in relation to the Reds' comings and goings before extending his contract at Anfield, which is something the Scot can't seem to comprehend.

"He has put himself in a powerful position; he wants control of all the transfers, for whatever reason I don't know, but that's the last thing I'd want," Ferguson told Sky Sports.

On Friday, both Ferguson and Blackburn Rovers manager Sam Allardyce criticised the former Valencia head coach for his lack of respect towards fellow managers.

When asked whether he could explain Benitez's so-called ‘contempt’, Ferguson replied, "I don't know what he does in his spare time, but he's certainly not using it the right way."

Ricky Brooks, Goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/04/18/1215722/sir-alex-ferguson-questions-rafael-benitezs-control-of-liverpool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

They're both acting the mick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Do we need this?

Liverpool fans will defend Rafa.
    UTD fans will defend Fergie.
    Neutrals will wonder why Liverpool fans and UTD fans are taking over the forum again.

I agree that Fergie is being ridiculous (IMO), and I believe that all Rafa should do is ignore all the questions the media are going to aim at him now, and he comes out on top.
    I do believe that Fergie made a big mistake with the latest attack (the disrespect one), and that it's made him look very stupid.
    I also believe that if he doesn't stop, the FA will step in.
    The obvious colusion with Big Sam this time is taking it to another level.
    I can never remember a time where two managers privately colluded on a personal attack on another manager.
    And lets be honest, that's what this was.

Rafa made a signal to Alonso to appologise for telling Alonso to play the ball short, when the long ball resulted in a goal.
    He was comunicating with a player on the pitch.
    Fergie and his friend then come out 6 days later, calling Rafa a disgrace, and accusing him of dishonouring the history of Liverpool.

I do expect the FA to step in soon.

But returning to my original point, this is just gonna develop into another slanging match.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

kinaldo wrote: »
    Ferguson can't stop talking about Benitez, whether it's to do with Allardyce, his contract, or spare time. I think it's rather pathetic, it's not mind games but rather attempted bullying. Ferguson is more than a bully, he's a tyrant, who obviously just hates Rafa since that blown out statement of facts, and is now trying to alienate someone already considered an outsider. Obviously Allardyce doesn't like Rafa because he's a foreigner stealing their jobs. Their collusion is simply to turn more people against Benitez. As I said, pathetic.

What's pathetic is it took Ferguson to say something for you start this thread. Why didn't you start it any other time over the last few months since Benitez hasn't stopped talking about Utd?

He was even talking about Utd at the press conference before the Chelsea CL game. That's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Do we need this?
    Yes, because after I posted in the Man Utd thread last night I had to trawl back over about 10 pages this morning to see the replies, while the argument went off in a tangent as to their early achievements, and carried on in the Liverpool thread. I'm totally fed up with those two superthreads. Maybe they should be merged at this stage or something.

Also I am a neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

With a record like this you can pretty much say what you like ;)

Aberdeen
    3 SPLs
    4 Scottish cups
    1 Scottish league cup
    1 Uefa Cup winners cup
    1 Uefa Super cup

Manchester United
    10 Premier leagues
    5 FA cup
    3 League cup
    2 Uefa Champions league
    1 Uefa Cup winners cup
    1 Uefa Super cup
    1 Intercontinental cup
    1 FIFA Club World cup

• Advertisement

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    What's pathetic is it took Ferguson to say something for you start this thread. Why didn't you start it any other time over the last few months since Benitez hasn't stopped talking about Utd?

He was even talking about Utd at the press conference before the Chelsea CL game. That's pathetic.
    I don't think Benitez has said anything out of line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Is alex ferguson not a foreigner stealing their jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

recycle-logo.JPG

ntlbell wrote: »
    Is alex ferguson not a foreigner stealing their jobs?
    British is preferred.

British is preferred.

Sam said this did he?

• Advertisement

Sam said this did he?
    Allardyce has complained about foreign managers getting the big jobs and his mate Curbishly never stopped moaning about it.

Allardyce has complained about foreign managers getting the big jobs and his mate Curbishly never stopped moaning about it.

and Alex is a foreign manager in a "big" job?

and Alex is a foreign manager in a "big" job?
    Whatever, they're mates, and you know very well that British is generally considered ''home grown'' with regards to the Premiership.

Whatever, they're mates, and you know very well that British is considered ''home grown''.

ah so sam doesn't mind them being foreign as long as he's mates with them?

your assumptions don't seem to be holding much water..

redout wrote: »
    With a record like this you can pretty much say what you like ;)

Aberdeen
    3 SPLs
    4 Scottish cups
    1 Scottish league cup
    1 Uefa Cup winners cup
    1 Uefa Super cup

Manchester United
    10 Premier leagues
    5 FA cup
    3 League cup
    2 Uefa Champions league
    1 Uefa Cup winners cup
    1 Uefa Super cup
    1 Intercontinental cup
    1 FIFA Club World cup

No you can't.:rolleyes:

Fergie is going to be called up by the FA on this.
    Well infact both managers probably will.

But the fact of the matter is, Fergie has colluded with another manager to make a personal attack on another manager.
    It may be pointed out that as I'm sure many of ye remember, Rafa's number two is a little known guy called Sammy Lee.
    Sammy Lee and Sam Alardyce spent some time working together in Bolton.
    Big Sam, and little Sam are good friends.
    After the Blackburn game, both Big and Little Sam went for a few drinks together.
    And Alardyce never mentioned any disrespect he felt.
    Strange that, isn't it.

He was so shocked and offended at the time, that he waited in Rafa's room for him, but a couple of hours later, when talking to Rafa's right hand man, it seems to have slipped his mind!:rolleyes:
    Sam didn't have any idea of insult until he talked with Fergie after the match, and the two of them tried to concoct this out of nowhere.
    And then when the story of what actually happened came out, they ended up just looking like fools!:P

Benitez is yet to respond but there is a sense of bemusement inside Anfield about the allegations and, in particular, why Ferguson has felt it necessary to get involved. Allardyce did not raise the issue after the match and Benitez says the only gesture he made was a self-deprecating one to Xabi Alonso because the goal had originated from the midfielder ignoring his advice at a free-kick.

Benitez instructed Alonso and Emiliano Insua to take a short free-kick and attack the Blackburn full-back, Republic of Ireland international Keith Andrews, two versus one. Instead, Alonso whipped in a long ball that Fernando Torres headed home and the Liverpool manager responded with a gesture to his players that apparently loosely translated as: “You were right. What do I know?”

The TV pictures appear to support Benitez but Ferguson says there is a case to answer. “I saw it and I’m surprised nobody picked it up,” he said. “I think you should respect a manager. You have to have humility.”

Muppets!:D

ah so sam doesn't mind them being foreign as long as he's mates with them?

your assumptions don't seem to be holding much water..
    Shall I rephrase to ''non-British foreigners'' if this pleases you?

Graham Souness kept on using the phrase ''these foreigners'' on the Premiership recently. We all knew that he wasn't referring to English players.

Shall I rephrase to ''non-British foreigners'' if this pleases you?

Graham Souness kept on using the phrase ''these foreigners'' on the Premiership recently. We all knew that he wasn't referring to English players.

If Sam used the phrase "non-british foreigners" it suits me, if your changing it to suit yourself it's pointless.

Alex was asked a question in the conf, he answered it the same way raffa was asked an apparently random question and them came out with his sheet of "fhacts"

they're both at it and for you to single out alex when raffa has been just as bad is bloody down right reckless.

NTLBell.
    Do you know anything about Sam Alardyce?

Allow me to refresh your conveniently dodgy memory.
    I never got a mention when Steve went, they just went straight for another foreigner. It seems foreign coaches are still all the craze (sic) for the top jobs and that is a great shame

:rolleyes:

Happy now?!

NTLBell.
    Do you know anything about Sam Alardyce?

Allow me to refresh your conveniently dodgy memory.

Happy now?!

no, that just proves my point?

no, that just proves my point?

Yeah, you have fun with that.

I'm out.

Slán.

• Advertisement

when it was arsenal running us close or winning it was arsene at it

when it was chelsea it was jose

raffa's getting his half hour of fame in

it'll be all he'll have left at the end of the season a mixed tape from sky on what could of been the best season in twenty years but we ended up with sweet FA

stormer raffa, stormer :rolleyes:

If Sam used the phrase "non-british foreigners" it suits me, if your changing it to suit yourself it's pointless.
    Yes, ok then, whatever. Good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Both Sam & SAF have publically embarrased themselves.

All the panel on Soccer Saturday, MOTD, The Premiership, as well as every print journalist by the looks of it (i haven't seen a story which is agreeing with the two men) thinks the accusation is laughable-rarely with these kind of instances does that happen, especially when they involve SAF.

Big Sam should be concentrating on keeping Blackburn in the PL & SAF should concentrate on getting UTD out of this poor run of form they are in & winning the league.

Personally if i was a blackburn fan, i would be quite pissed off about the manager of my club being nothing other than a puppet for Mr Ferguson.

Fergusons comments about humility/respect etc are about the only thing in this story that is "beyond the pale".

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Both Sam & SAF have publically embarrased themselves.

All the panel on Soccer Saturday, MOTD, The Premiership, as well as every print journalist by the looks of it (i haven't seen a story which is agreeing with the two men) thinks the accusation is laughable.

Big Sam should be concentrating on keeping Blackburn in the PL & SAF should concentrate on getting UTD out of this poor run of form they are in & winning the league.

Personally if i was a blackburn fan, i would be quite pissed off about the manager of my club being nothing other than a puppet for Mr Ferguson.

Fergusons comments about humility/respect etc are about the only thing in this story that is "beyond the pale".

poor run of form?

semi finals of the fa cup

semi finals of the champions league

top of the league

shocking.

liverpool out of the champions league

out of the fa cup

7 goals conceded in their last two matches

I think raffa's the one who needs to start concentrating

i said poor run of FORM, not poor run of results.

surely even you can admit that Utd have stumbled big time lately?

i said poor run of FORM, not poor run of results.

surely even you can admit that Utd have stumbled big time lately?

dug out results when key players have been missing

sign of champions.

The following sums up how Mr Ferguson has embarrased himself.
    “Benítez called Everton a small club, which just points to his arrogance"
    “Wenger has been in Japan. He doesn't know anything about English football. He's at a big club; well, Arsenal used to be big."

also worth noting that Rafa never called Everton a small club....
    "When you play against the smaller teams at Anfield you know the game will be narrow and compact and at times we were a little bit nervous"
    i dont think anyone can argue with the above statement tbh.
    Last week, as Liverpool prepared to meet Chelsea in the first leg of the European Champions League quarter-finals, Rafael Benitez said that Manchester United were running scared of their main rivals for the Premiership title.

In response, Alex Ferguson hit back by questioning why would Benitez talk about them (the Old Trafford team) on the eve of a European Cup tie.

Well, now Ferguson has gone and done exactly the same thing, only this time he weighed into Benitez as they (Manchester United) prepare to face Everton in the semi-finals of the FA Cup this weekend.
    “There’s one thing with his [Benitez] arrogance that he showed that you can’t forgive and that is his contempt for Sam Allardyce last week when Liverpool scored their second goal". I’m surprised nobody picked it up, actually. I don’t think you’d ever get me doing something like that — you won’t. You have to have humility.

Alex Ferguson-2008

pulling out quotes from 12 years ago

lol, i know it's a recession but come on times couldnt be that tough

is it any worse than Mr Ferguson pulling out & misrepresenting quotes from 2 years ago? I dont think so.

• Advertisement

is it any worse than Mr Ferguson pulling out & misrepresenting quotes from 2 years ago? I dont think so.

tbh I'd nearly start a thread in conspiracy theories

I think sky pays them off to start this nonsense.

poor run of form?

semi finals of the fa cup

semi finals of the champions league

top of the league

shocking.

liverpool out of the champions league

out of the fa cup

7 goals conceded in their last two matches

I think raffa's the one who needs to start concentrating

Im sorry, but here I was thinking we'd conceded 4 and scored 8 in our last 2 games.

Liverpool 4-0 Blackburn
    Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool

How did you actually manage to forget the very game we're talking about?!!
    You're not Ferguson's advisor by any chance are you?!!

:D

this article sums it all up for me really. Mr Ferguson is quite simply just worried is all.
    The bitter feud between Sir Alex Ferguson and Rafael Benítez spiralled out of control yesterday when the Manchester United manager launched his most vitriolic attack yet on his Liverpool counterpart, accusing the Spaniard of being arrogant, contemptuous and lacking in humility.

In what has become the most hostile rivalry in English football, Ferguson used the build-up to United’s FA Cup semi-final against Everton at Wembley Stadium tomorrow to condemn Benítez’s claims that their Merseyside rivals were a “small club”. The Scot then embarked on a sustained and unprovoked assault on the Liverpool manager’s behaviour during their match against Blackburn Rovers at Anfield a week ago.

When Fernando Torres, the Spain striker, scored his second goal to put Liverpool 2-0 up, Benítez responded by making a theatrical “cut” gesture — the kind a boxing referee makes when a fighter is ruled out for the count — as if to suggest that the match was finished as a contest.

Although Benítez was smiling when he made the gesture and there was little evidence to suggest it was malicious or even directed at Sam Allardyce, Ferguson claimed yesterday that it was a deliberate attempt to spite the Blackburn manager.

“There’s one thing with his [Benitez] arrogance that he showed that you can’t forgive and that is his contempt for Sam Allardyce last week when Liverpool scored their second goal,” Ferguson said. “Did you see it? It was absolute contempt. He went like that [Ferguson repeats the gesture] . . . game finished. I don’t think Sam Allardyce deserved that. A guy who has worked so hard for the LMA [the League Managers' Association], looking after young managers, he didn’t deserve that with a team that was weakened. I don’t think any other Liverpool manager would ever have done that. But he [Benitez] is beyond the pale.”

Allardyce agreed, although given the friendship between the Blackburn manager and Ferguson, and the dislike both have for Benítez, there were whispers last night of their respective outbursts having been pre-coordinated. The questions that loomed largest included:

Had Ferguson and Allardyce collaborated in their attack on Benítez?

Ferguson denied that he had discussed the matter with Allardyce, who branded the gesture “disrespectful and humiliating” yesterday, but the United manager would not let it rest, despite the attempts of a club press officer to intervene. “I’m surprised nobody picked it up, actually,” said Ferguson, who believed that Benítez could have been provoked by Allardyce’s claims that the Liverpool manager was “a whinger and a moaner”. “I don’t think you’d ever get me doing something like that — you won’t. You have to have humility. He [Benitez] has played himself into a powerful position [at Liverpool]. He wants control of all the transfers — for whatever reason, I don’t know, but that’s the last thing I’d want. Crikey. I don’t know what he does in his spare time, but he’s certainly not using it in the right way.”

Why did the United manager choose the eve of an FA Cup semi-final against Everton to reopen his war of words with Benítez?

Ferguson had suggested last week that Benítez made an error of judgment by talking about him in the build-up to the first leg of Liverpool’s Champions League quarter-final against Chelsea at Anfield, which they lost 3-1, although the United manager will doubtless argue that he was not guilty of making the same mistake yesterday, even if his team lose to Everton.

On the one hand, Ferguson’s staunch defence of Everton and David Moyes, their manager, could be construed as an attempt to lull the Merseyside club into a false sense of security — “Benítez called Everton a small club, which just points to his arrogance, but David Moyes is building a big club,” Ferguson said yesterday. On the other hand, maybe Benítez is right, the United manager’s preoccupation with Liverpool is reflective of the fact that he is running “a bit scared”.

Benítez was accused of cracking up after his calculated attack on Ferguson in January, which served as the catalyst for the ensuing bad blood between the pair. So can the same now be said of the United manager?

Since United won the first of their ten Barclays Premier League titles in 1993, Liverpool have failed to mount a credible challenge — until now, in the year when United hope to draw level with their rival’s record of 18 championships. Ferguson has claimed publicly that he is unconcerned by equalling Liverpool’s haul, but that could not be farther from the truth.

By making repeated references to Chelsea being “buoyed up” after their Champions League victory against Liverpool and by insinuating that the West London club could now be United’s main rivals for the title, Ferguson is merely trying to divert attention away from the fact that he is fearful of the threat the Merseyside club pose.

Does Ferguson really “hate” Benítez?

The reality is that Ferguson probably sees a lot of himself in Benítez — they are both ruthless, single-minded and dictatorial — and is struggling to accept that and worried that the Liverpool manager may be in the process of acquiring precisely the same kind of power the Scot exerts at Old Trafford.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6115799.ece

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

when it was arsenal running us close or winning it was arsene at it

when it was chelsea it was jose

raffa's getting his half hour of fame in

it'll be all he'll have left at the end of the season a mixed tape from sky on what could of been the best season in twenty years but we ended up with sweet FA

stormer raffa, stormer :rolleyes:

Always seems to be the opposition manager at it and not Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I see the Legion of Doom are back in business!!

Here's a question. How come the last we heard of the LOD, in full throttle, the way they've been all season was during the first half of the Manchester United Vs Liverpool fixture at Old Trafford back in March of 2009.

It was eerily quiet as Liverpool hammered Utd 4-1, Madrid 4-0 and Villa 5-0 while Utd started dropping points all of a sudden and there was was a title challenge back in the frame.

But suddenly, this week, when Liverpool have been knocked out of the Champions League and Utd have qualified for the semi's and are also preparing for their F.A Cup semi final and Taggart has started mouthing off, the LOD are back!!

Or have i just answered my own question???? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

completely idiotic post, both ferguson and benitez have been equally as vocal against one another this season, it wouldnt be happening if liverpool or united werent vying for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ive only read the last few posts.
    are we really debating over fergies britishness or something like that?

mr spock, im afraid we have hit retard factor 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Look Alex ferguson is a fantastic manager who has been left with his pants around his ankles with these comments. He has come across as a sad old man with an agenda (that agenda being he is woried about what Rafa is building at Liverpool and needs to act). I think he will look back on these comments when he retires with a great sense of embarrassment. I expect the FA wil not take action against him considering they let him away with murder most of the time. IMO it's best Rafa stays quiet now as most people are seeing fergie for what he is at this stage.It's actually a bit sad to see an excellent manager go down this road with childish comments TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Highsider wrote: »
    Look Alex ferguson is a fantastic manager who has been left with his pants around his ankles with these comments. He has come across as a sad old man with an agenda (that agenda being he is woried about what Rafa is building at Liverpool and needs to act). I think he will look back on these comments when he retires with a great sense of embarrassment. I expect the FA wil not take action against him considering they let him away with murder most of the time. IMO it's best Rafa stays quiet now as most people are seeing fergie for what he is at this stage.It's actually a bit sad to see an excellent manager go down this road with childish comments TBH.

lolz all the way

may I remind people who started this

yap your right Rafa started this with his rant

1znohdz.jpg

Just watching sunday supplement there. Calling it like it is saying ferguson has fouled up big time here and is looking rather pathetic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Confusious says, unless in Australia, posting at 3 am leads to rubbish.

• Advertisement

Just watching sunday supplement there. Calling it like it is saying ferguson has fouled up big time here and is looking rather pathetic :)

lolz again highsider

thats not what im hearing at all

iv heard its mind games again

Headshot wrote: »
    lolz again highsider

thats not what im hearing at all

iv heard its mind games again
    Turn up you hearing aid will ya :pac:

see the important word here is like

more or less making up bull ****

Turn up you hearing aid will ya :pac:

maybe you should press the help button on your remote and press the subtitles

Headshot wrote: »
    see the important word here is like

more or less making up bull ****

maybe you should press the help button on your remote and press the subtitles
    Watching it online thanks very much.

Watching it online thanks very much.

watch it then a couple of times then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ferguson playing mind games... never thought i'd see the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Just finished watching the premiership on rte 1. Giles and Steven had nothing nice to say about Ferguson and Fat Sam. I think they as neutrals have said it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6122646.ece

From The Sunday Times April 19, 2009

‘Ferguson Siralex is trying to bait me into being rash’
    Rafa's Reply (as told to John Aizlewood)

How a journalist can get away with such an embarrassingly bad (and arguably racist) article is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect that is what passes as satire these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

all a bit touchy about Ferguson. Being Irish I dont recognise the title he has before his name.

Maybe Benitez does'nt either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement