Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson vs Benitez thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Headshot wrote: »
    ill defend my club to the bitter end rightly or wrongly

operative word in bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

thats fans for ya

Why?
    That no being a football fan, its being a football fanboy(eeuh:o)
    If he is wrong he is wrong!
    shouting someone else down in a childish manner as admitted above
    doesnt make him right
    just shows up how wrong he/ye are(no matter what club)

A7X wrote: »
    It's only a game at the end of the day lads.

That's like something my missus would say.

It may be only a game for some but for many it's an obsession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's like something my missus would say.

It may be only a game for some but for many it's an obsession.

I know I ment to say it like that. I was just trying to highlight what it is at the end of the day.

Im a huge United fan and as hard as it is to not stand up for the club right or wrong I just didnt agree with what Fergie said recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

thats fans for ya

M@cc@ lets not starting snipping at each other ok

so thats my final bits on this thread

over and out
    You see that's the difference between you and me right there..i love Liverpool through and through but would not defend the manager if he came out with the rubbish ferguson and big sam dreamed up the other day. Guess that makes me less of a fan then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

So.....which of them would win in a staring contest?

So.....which of them would win in a staring contest?

Ferguson obviously.... cause he's better.

Ferguson obviously.... cause he's better.

I bet you Rafa could cook a better Spanish Omelet.

I bet you Rafa could cook a better Spanish Omelet.

I dunno about cooking it, but serving it is were he excells ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I dunno about cooking it, but serving it is were he excells ;)

like the beating he served up at Old trafford?!

booyea!

this thread is pathetic :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

who'd win in a cage rage fight?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    like the beating he served up at Old trafford?!

booyea!

this thread is pathetic :)
    No.. spanish omeletes. God read the post's ffs
    I agree.

Jazzy wrote: »
    who'd win in a cage rage fight?

NOW that I'd like to see.

They should do one on that celebrity death match thing that used to be on MTV. Would be immense.

To be honest, this has gone more WWE than UFC.

To be honest, this has gone more WWE than UFC.

You mean shíte?

lads, we all know what its time for!

Headshot get in here!
    group-hug.jpg
    Boggles, you ain't invited!

End of the day, we all have something to be happy about!
    Utd fans are top of the league, Liverpool are in with a good chance in the league.

Who cares if Boggles or whoever thinks Rafa is a joke of a manager or should be sacked or whatever....at the end of the day, most Liverpool fans think he is building something really special, and their opinion is the only one that matters.
    Some Liverpool fans think SAF is not the force he once was & he is "over the hill", some Utd fans think he still plenty left in him & is still untouchable....fair enough!

we're all happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

This thread is only a couple of posts away from pants being dropped and a measuring tape being brought out!

iregk wrote: »
    This thread is only a couple of posts away from pants being dropped and a measuring tape being brought out!

a couple of posts?!!

pantsdown1sm.jpg

measuring_tape_large.jpg

RAFA WINS!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    RAFA WINS!

Dammit. If only the large font with bold print was brought out sooner. This would have ended many post's ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Noticed that Rafa sent Sammy Lee out to cover the press conference today.

Think he's done the right thing, decided he's not getting involved in a tit for tat.

I think this is a sign that Rafa believes he has gotten to Taggart and is now leaving it at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Twas all a ruse, they love each other really.

rafaferg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Who's the guy with all the hair on the right?

It's like Blur vs Oasis.

All a media con.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's like Blur vs Oasis.

All a media con.

No, pretty sure they fúckíng hated each other Karma.

Even though don't think Noel likes much.

For the record I was in the Blur camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's like Blur vs Oasis.

you mean the real answer's Pulp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

you mean the real answer's Pulp?
    Maybe if you're a silly goose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i had a dream last night rafa shaved his goatee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone watch Football Matters on Setanta last night?

1. Rebecca Lowe is a focking ROIDE

2. The chap in the Newky jersey who looked like Rafa :D

Someone emailed in to ask why Rafa was wearing a Newcastle jersey :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fergusons latest comment on the drama;
    Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is refusing to continue his war of words with Liverpool chief Rafa Benitez.

Ferguson launched a scathing attack on Benitez last week accusing the Spaniard of being arrogant.

The Scot joined forces with Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce in hitting out at Benitez for gestures he made during Liverpool's 4-0 win over Blackburn earlier this month.

Liverpool assistant manager Sammy Lee defended Benitez from Ferguson's attack on Monday claiming any gestures were made towards the Liverpool players and no one else.

Ferguson remains unrepentant over his attack on Benitez, but is ready to draw a line under the whole episode as the title race hots up.

"I made my point about it. I don't understand why he did it," said Ferguson.

"I don't want to go on about it anymore. I made my point. There is no point carrying it on. It's plain for everybody to see now. I have made my issue about it."

When informed about Liverpool's explanation about Benitez's gesture, Ferguson added: "They are hurt by it."

Is it just me or does this make very little logical sense?

Ferguson; tirade
    Sammy Lee after being asked a question about it; "I dunno, Big Sam never said ought to me when we were havin' pints after"
    Ferguson;..."They are hurt by it."..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ferguson;..."They are hurt by it."..

trying to convince himself I see, seen as nobody's buying it apart from the most biased of utd fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Ferguson..."they are hurt by it" :rolleyes:
    Yeah i must have missed the press conference where Rafa was in tears because of the things ferguson has said. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jesus, what a weak response from Ferguson. He said what he said for whatever reason, he knew full well that Rafa's gesture wasn't what he implied it was, Allardyce just basically lied about knocking Rafa's door down for an explanation.
    Ferguson isn't going go back on what he said now anyway. He's better off not saying anything because he's just embarrassing himself more and more.

"They're hurt" Ha ha!!!! What does that even mean?? I thought he was the master of the 'mind games'. Ha!!

It was a good move putting Sammy in the press conference yesterday. He made his points well and came across well. No point Rafa creating headlines before the match tonight.

If we were to beat Arsenal tonight, then i'm sure Rafa will say something about it after the match to Sky or whatever that will be in the papers tomorrow and will just add that bit more pressure on Utd in the build up to the Pompey game

monkey9 wrote: »
    It was a good move putting Sammy in the press conference yesterday.

i think saying it was a 'good' move is an understatement quite frankly. it shows, quite definitively, how calm rafa in fact is about this whole thing.

it's also an indication that he's true to his word. he is focused on one thing, and one thing only.

and perhaps, even more definitively, it's allowing everyone see who it is that in fact is the 'arrogant' one between himself and Fergie.

well played Rafa.

and as monkey said, if we win he'll no doubt mention it. and i've all the faith in the world that he'll allude to it just enough to put the pressure on to a sufficient degree for tomorrow night.

And even if we loose or draw, Rafa'll still talk to the press afterwards.

• Advertisement

he will, and he'll be calm about it i'm sure. he'll just say 'we're doing our own thing' or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Highsider wrote: »
    Ferguson..."they are hurt by it" :rolleyes:
    Yeah i must have missed the press conference where Rafa was in tears because of the things ferguson has said. Lol

He didnt actually say "they are hurt by it" now in fairness. What actually happened was

Reporter: So you don't believe them (referring to Sammy Lee's explanation)?

Ferguson: I didnt say that.

Reporter: Because they are quite hurt by it.

Ferguson: Im sure they are. ( in a semi sarcastic tone)

I think the media is blowing this waaaaay out of proportion. I agree he shouldnt have said anything about the whole ambigous shuffle but now it seems like pool fans and the press are taking it to a whole new level.

Much like the rafas cracking up thing that pool fans were complaining about a while ago.

CoachBoone wrote: »
    He didnt actually say "they are hurt by it" now in fairness. What actually happened was

I think the media is blowing this waaaaay out of proportion. I agree he shouldnt have said anything about the whole ambigous shuffle but now it seems like pool fans and the press are taking it to a whole new level.

Much like the rafas cracking up thing that pool fans were complaining about a while ago.

And do you think that maybe, just maybe, the reason that Liverpool fans are reacting this way, is solely down to the way that UTD fans reacted after the "rant"?!!

And do you think that maybe, just maybe, the reason that Liverpool fans are reacting this way, is solely down to the way that UTD fans reacted after the "rant"?!!

Im quite sure it is. But jesus christ is that not ridiculously childish?

"he did it first"

ffs

I think the media is blowing this waaaaay out of proportion.

if what you say above is true, then yes, our reactions are obviously a bit OTT in terms of this specific interview by Ferguson.

but in this case Ferguson only has himself to blame. his attack on Rafa was pathetic, and the media didn't have to blow anything out of proportion. it's there on audio and in black and white.

so no, still no defending Fergie on this one.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    if what you say above is true, then yes, our reactions are obviously a bit OTT in terms of this specific interview by Ferguson.

but in this case Ferguson only has himself to blame. his attack on Rafa was pathetic, and the media didn't have to blow anything out of proportion. it's there on audio and in black and white.

so no, still no defending Fergie on this one.

Its actually on the sky website in a video so its there in audio, picture and full colour right beside the sensational report written by some socially retarded journalist.

We could say the same about Rafa's pathetic fact sheet? I think both sides are wrong/were wrong.

We could go further back and say well...fergie said this before that, but then rafa said this before that, but but fergie said this which started it all.

Jesus fúcking christ.

The duplo is in the corner beside the jigsaws, now make yourselves busy kids.

Im quite sure it is. But jesus christ is that not ridiculously childish?

"he did it first"

ffs

Yes everything is childish.
    And you're joining in.

All the posts in here sying this is childish are really annoying.

Guess what, if you don't want to read it, don't.

Posting that this is childish.
    Is childish!

Its actually on the sky website in a video so its there in audio, picture and full colour right beside the sensational report written by some socially retarded journalist.

We could say the same about Rafa's pathetic fact sheet? I think both sides are wrong/were wrong.

We could go further back and say well...fergie said this before that, but then rafa said this before that, but but fergie said this which started it all.

Jesus fúcking christ.

The duplo is in the corner beside the jigsaws, now make yourselves busy kids.

i don't care who started it.

i'm talking about how ferguson has handled himself in this instance, and in my view it's been in a pathetic, bullying manner.

rafa's fact sheet was not advisable imo, but it was very different. the agenda wasn't to bully and slander someone's integrity. the agenda was to set out the facts as he saw them in terms of referees and fixture schedules, after ferguson had talked about Liverpool in the press. he didn't attack ferguson's integrity as a sportsman, and get other bosses to join in with him. he questioned how utd are treated by football authorities, and how ferguson can claim the things he was claiming as a result.

but this is all in the past and has been dealt with.

ferguson's behaviour should not just be swept under the carpet because 'Rafa did it first' etc. utd fans on here were laughing at the perceived 'cracking up' of Rafa, weren't complaining of the subsequent sensationalising by the media, and didn't allow that sensationalising stop them from analysing, questioning and often attacking Rafa's behaviour.

the same rules should apply to ferguson thanks.

Yes everything is childish.
    And you're joining in.

All the posts in here sying this is childish are really annoying.

Guess what, if you don't want to read it, don't.

Posting that this is childish.
    Is childish!

Because I wont relent and bow to your viewpoint is what is really annoying you. If I said "fergies a wanker, i think rafa is god and Im a united fan" you'd leave this thread with a smug shít eating grin on your face.

All Ive done is presented facts. The childish ones are the people jumping on a bandwagon of Fergie hate not even acknowledging what really happened.

This thread is childish, annoying as it may be to your sensitivites, it is. It has been called so by many reasonable people and posters. Childish on BOTH sides.

How is posting "that is childish" childish? Im not trying to get one over on anyone like all the fans in here? Im not coming in here slating either manager? I havent had a go at any set of fans individually?

Your answer doesnt really matter anyway as Im not bothered getting into an argument about how I am or am not childish.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i don't care who started it.

i'm talking about how ferguson has handled himself in this instance, and in my view it's been in a pathetic, bullying manner.

rafa's fact sheet was not advisable imo, but it was very different. the agenda wasn't to bully and slander someone's integrity. the agenda was to set out the facts as he saw them in terms of referees and fixture schedules, after ferguson had talked about Liverpool in the press. he didn't attack ferguson's integrity as a sportsman, and get other bosses to join in with him. he questioned how utd are treated by football authorities, and how ferguson can claim the things he was claiming as a result.

but this is all in the past and has been dealt with.

ferguson's behaviour should not just be swept under the carpet because 'Rafa did it first' etc. utd fans on here were laughing at the perceived 'cracking up' of Rafa, weren't complaining of the subsequent sensationalising by the media, and didn't allow that sensationalising stop them from analysing, questioning and often attacking Rafa's behaviour.

the same rules should apply to ferguson thanks.

I agree with all of what you are saying. Preaching to the choir.

In saying that, two wrong dont make a right. Would it not be more advisable for 'pool fans to take the higher road here and let fergie say what he wants much like I would have liked United fans to respond to Rafa's fact sheet.

Reasonable people will have their own opinion and the biased fans views wont be changed so this whole argument is a bit pointless.

The culture of oneupmanship between fans is great banter but not when it comes to something as ridiculous as managers personal vendetta's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shít eating grin on your face.

I've never understood this phrase. Who grins while eating shit?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I've never understood this phrase. Who grins while eating shit?!

Maybe it's more a grimace thing or something?

Reasonable people will have their own opinion and the biased fans views wont be changed so this whole argument is a bit pointless.

i agree unreservedly.

it's not a personal thing for me, because at the end of the day it's just a prelude to what actually matters, the games.

i just see it as a bit of banter myself. what i take issue with is when utd posters get uppity about people making an issue of it if they want to, when they did the very same thing themselves months ago.

at the end of the day, we probably all just need to relax a bit :pac:

Because I wont relent and bow to your viewpoint is what is really annoying you. If I said "fergies a wanker, i think rafa is god and Im a united fan" you'd leave this thread with a smug shít eating grin on your face.

All Ive done is presented facts. The childish ones are the people jumping on a bandwagon of Fergie hate not even acknowledging what really happened.

This thread is childish, annoying as it may be to your sensitivites, it is. It has been called so by many reasonable people and posters. Childish on BOTH sides.

How is posting "that is childish" childish? Im not trying to get one over on anyone like all the fans in here? Im not coming in here slating either manager? I havent had a go at any set of fans individually?

Your answer doesnt really matter anyway as Im not bothered getting into an argument about how I am or am not childish.

Why would I be happy if you agreed with me.
    You don't even know what I think, but you know I'd be happy if you agreed with me.

I want one thing.
    Fair treatment from and for all parties.

Is it childish of me to want Rafa to get the same treatment as Fergie, and visa versa?

Is it childish of me to find it ridiculous that the same UTD fans who called Rafa borderline insane, and posted pictures of him in a straight jacket, now get offended with the suggestion that Fergie made a mistake?

Is it childish of me to find it offensive when UTD fans come into this thread, calling Torres a ladyboy, implying that I'm the same, and then post pictures of Mannuel as Rafa?

Is it childish of me to get annoyed at the blatent attempts by one or two UTD fans in this thread to get somebody banned, or the thread closed, as the weren't happy with it?

No, it's not childish.
    It's perfectly reasonable.

I reffered to Ferguson as "whiskey nose" (wrongly) a few days ago.
    I didn't mean anything malicious by it, but can see it was wrong.
    I was simply saying that Fergies attempt at mind games has cacused him to fall on his face.
    That's all Ive said all along.

Since then, I've had to sit here and endure some (obviously not all) posters insulting me, Liverpool players, Liverpools manager, and in homophobic and racialy steryeotyping ways no less.

But I've never gotten mad, or petty, and instead have just reported my oppinion on the matter.

And what happens?
    Somebody comes in, and states that the very fact that I'm postin in here means I'm childish.
    And that all I want is for you to agree with me.
    I couldn't care less if you agree with me.

I came in here to see what the UTD supporters would have to say.
    And unfortunately (with a few exceptions), I haven't been surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Of course. He loves an opportunity to talk about the champions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement