Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson vs Benitez thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Dave! wrote: »
    What's that got to do with Ferguson's team selection?

The argument is that United disrespected Everton by fielding a second string team, presumably the suggestion is that we should have fielded our best team out of respect to Everton and to the FA cup.

My point is that since we're still in other competitions that are more highly valued, we have to prioritize. So Fergie put out a team that he felt was good enough to win.

The team had all the possession and all the shots and played just as good as Everton. So it was a good enough team.

The result is irrelevant to the argument -- the team was good enough to outplay Everton (albeit marginally) for the match, and a penalty shootout decided it.

The team that plays better does not always win -- as you just demonstrated with your stats on the Pool-Stoke match.

?

What's ironic of that ws that Fergie came out 2 days ago and said that it was disrespectful for Rafa to not respect Everon, that they were a serious threat, and a really good team.

He then plays two first teamers against them (3 if you count Tevez).

If he was going to rest players against them, then two days before the game he shouldn't be bringing up percieved insults from 3 years ago should he?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

So if Liverpool had of being playing yesterday and then still had their League match against Arsenal on the Tuesday then your saying Rafa wouldn't have made a number of changes to the starting XI to save a number of players for the League game which would be the more crucial of the two. Of course he wouldn't :rolleyes:

Why do utd supporters keep harping back to Liverpool. I have stated before i'm not a liverpool fan. But to answer your q, yes he would have rotated, but not field 9 changes and put out the kids,

He had the choice to start, scholes, nani, giggs (although he did play midweek), neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

?

that Liverpool fans complain about prioritisation when Rafa's been fielding weakened teams in the league in favour of the CL since he arrived there

So if Liverpool had of being playing yesterday and then still had their League match against Arsenal on the Tuesday then your saying Rafa wouldn't have made a number of changes to the starting XI to save a number of players for the League game which would be the more crucial of the two. Of course he wouldn't :rolleyes:

He wouldn't have come out two days earlier complaining about another manager disrespecting Everton though, which is what makes it iromic.

See?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What's ironic of that ws that Fergie came out 2 days ago and said that it was disrespectful for Rafa to not respect Everon, that they were a serious threat, and a really good team.

He then plays two first teamers against them (3 if you count Tevez).

If he was going to rest players against them, then two days before the game he shouldn't be bringing up percieved insults from 3 years ago should he?

No.
    yeh yeh yeh

He fielded a good enough team to beat Everton, therefore it wasn't disrespectful. The fact that they didn't do the job is unfortunate but irrelevant

I'll leave it at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Still running with that yeah?

About 3 of the regular posters in the Liverpool thread, who're actual Liverpool supporters wanted Rafa out.

Noodler is the only one I can think of.

And I'm fairly sure that every single Liverpool supporter in this thread is a very vocal supporter of Rafa.

But you keep running with it.

The more you concentrate on it, the less attention you have to give to Fergie messing up.
    just saw this post
    fairly sure ya:rolleyes:

you see i can also use that same excuse to change the topic

The more you concentrate on it, the less attention you have to give to rafa messing up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wat i find amazing is how much ppl actually think all the guff between fergie and rafa actually matters.

i mean really. stop and think about it. just because newspapers and eamon dunphy say something it doesnt make it important or relevant. its how the media works, they are interested in money.. not news.

getting offended because someone is insulting fergies mental health because they lost and happend to say stuff about rafa before the game. do you really think that alex ferguson, arguably the best manager to have ever existed, has been affected mentally by something rafa benitez said to a bunch of reporters and then went out with his multi-million dollar team and bottled it because of mental duress.. because of a press conference.

really. just sit and have a think. then ppl will quickly realise that they are argueing about nothing at all. opinions, news, information, apparent facts (fhacts...) - its all bullsh1t.

wat u are all really saying is-
    "i support man utd and hate liverpool and look at their latest evil"

and

"i support liverpool and hate man utd and look at their latest evil"

it really is that simple

Liam O wrote: »
    that Liverpool fans complain about prioritisation when Rafa's been fielding weakened teams in the league in favour of the CL since he arrived there

not this season

yeh yeh yeh

He fielded a good enough team to beat Everton, the fact that they didn't do the job is unfortunate but irrelevant

I'll leave it at that

No he didn't field a good enough tem to beat Everton.
    Those two teams have played each other once.

Everton won.

So Fergie didn't field a good enough team to beat Everton.

Simple.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    just saw this post
    fairly sure ya:rolleyes:

you see i can also use that same excuse to change the topic

The more you concentrate on it, the less attention you have to give to rafa messing up

I see one manager messing up this weekend, and his name's not Rafael.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

pmsl.

295zsl5.gif

EDIT: Someone (headshot?) posted, "I really expect better behaviour from a mod", seems to be gone now.
    Gimme a freakin break, this latest episode started as a result of comments on Rafa's touchline behaviour. I'm sorry, but Fergie's is fair game, and satire/humour is an accepted form of debate in a free speaking country.

Find me some animations of Rafa that are as funny as that and I assure you I will laugh as hard as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

He wouldn't have come out two days earlier complaining about another manager disrespecting Everton though, which is what makes it iromic.

See?!

Again how was it disrespectful if we were unlucky not to beat them. At least we managed to stop them from scoring in normal play something which Liverpool's 1st team failed to do. ;):D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    not this season

that's because the league is a PRIORITY for Liverpool this season

Again how was it disrespectful if we were unlucky not to beat them. At least we managed to stop them from scoring in normal play something which Liverpool's 1st team failed to do. ;):D

Yeah, pity they don't give out a trophy for loosing in the semifinal of the FA Cup.

that's because the league is a PRIORITY for Liverpool this season

yeah, I don't think that's a secret

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Everton won.

Simple.

veiled insults......zzzzZZZZzzzzZZzzzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzz........

Must be great to be only in one competition, you can devote your entire team to it ! :)

G'luck

I see one manager messing up this weekend, and his name's not Rafael.

who Wenger?

Everton won.

Simple.

Again the match went to penalties and if anyone should feel embarrased by it it should be Everton (not that they should) seeing as how they couldn't beat our so called ''weakend'' team in normal time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Must be great to be only in one competition, you can devote your entire team to it ! :)

G'luck

if arsenal beat Utd in the CL, you'll be in one comp too

(lets not try and say the Carling cup was even a priority this year)

Yeah, pity they don't give out a trophy for loosing in the semifinal of the FA Cup.

or coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the league or else Liverpool might have won something in the last 2 seasons :p

• Advertisement

G'luck

Luck has nothing to do with it, thanks all the same.

Mr Alan wrote: »

but We'll have gotten further than Liverpool in EVERY competition i.e. more successful season

Last time I checked. United are still in the running for two trophys and have all ready won two so far while Liverpool are only in the running for one but I'm sure that was all part of Rafa's master plan ;):D

who Wenger?

Did Wenger try and play mind games and then fall onhis whiskey nose?

Again the match went to penalties and if anyone should feel embarrased by it it should be Everton (not that they should) seeing as how they couldn't beat our so called ''weakend'' team in normal time

Yeah I'd say the Everton team are sitting at home all red faced after failing to win in normal time but subsequently winning the tie on penaltys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i really expect better behaviour by a mod

jesus.

its come down to that one has it.

last night i said this thread was at Retard Factor 5. Mr Spock, i seem to have made an error as its exceeded Factor 7 and is rising all the time.

a lot of ppl on this forum really need to get a grip. liverpool & utd fans alike

or coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the league or else Liverpool might have won something in the last 2 seasons :p

I gotta say, for a guy who was leaving this thread due to it's childishness, you're still posting a lot of childish crap.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say the Everton team are sitting at home all red faced after failing to win in normal time but subsequently winning the tie on penaltys.

Read the post again I said that they shouldn't.

Did Wenger try and play mind games and then fall onhis whiskey nose?

No but Ferguson didn't either :rolleyes: I'd prefer to get knocked out of the FA cup than the CL btw which none of your fans seemed to even care about

I gotta say, for a guy who was leaving this thread due to it's childishness, you're still posting a lot of childish crap.

when did I say that? Or is this another Rafa style Fact?

• Advertisement

No but Ferguson didn't either :rolleyes: I'd prefer to get knocked out of the FA cup than the CL btw which none of your fans seemed to even care about

Please explain this post, please.

May I just add, during the penalty appeal, Fergie seemed to signall for a red card to the referee.

Another thing that managers aren't allowed to do.

Look at his right hand.

21o4rjs.jpg

Alan the way your season is going the Carling cup would be a success for ye

come on ffs

you seem to always forget the WCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anymore reference to moderation of this forum on-thread will result in further infractions/bans.

Yes, whisky nose is abuse.

The same way Fat Frank (Lampard) is.

The same way Fat Spanish Waiter is.

The same way Manure is.

The same way Murderpool is.

Do I need to clarify this anymore?

May I just add, during the penalty appeal, Fergie seemed to signall for a red card to the referee.

Look at his right hand.

21o4rjs.jpg

well considering it was a clear goalscoring opportunity and he was taken down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Look at his right hand.

21o4rjs.jpg
    The more i see it the more silly he looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

thegen wrote: »
    IMO its disrespectful, because its an FA Cup semi final against a team he defended when Benitez said smaller teams on their visit a few years ago.

He fielded 9 first team starters when he could have rested fewer and stillgone on to win the game. He said the team he was putting out could win the game, still confused?

And sorry why is the be bold tye laughable, Benitez has not responded, which makes him quiet to my knowledge

What is it with utd supporters they feel the need to quote another teams selection's in order to justify their managers.

Your argument is pathetic. Utd have a SQUAD of players to see them through the season. As mentioned, that team was good enough to beat Everton. How it's disrespectful is beyond me. Teams like Utd must prioritize some competitions over others and make use of the squad to save keep fatigue at bay for the run in. Now see how I made sense there?

I wasn't trying to justify his selection, I'd already done that. It was simply a n observation to show that people like you and your arguments are based on hatred for Utd rather than common sense.

when did I say that? Or is this another Rafa style Fact?

Sorry my bad, thinking of someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Alan the way your season is going the Carling cup would be a success for ye

come on ffs

you seem to always forget the WCC
    Yeah because all liverpool fans want the carling cup instead of being in with a genuine shot of the title :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Look at his right hand.

21o4rjs.jpg

Sweet Jesus getting very petty aren't we seeing has it happens in less than a second. Oh and for the record if that had been a penalty (which it was) then Jagielka should have been sent off as he was last man.

Highsider wrote: »
    Yeah because all liverpool fans want the carling cup instead of being in with a genuine shot of the title :rolleyes:

so another season without a trophy

is that success ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Highsider wrote: »
    The more i see it the more silly he looks

I have to say this brought me back a few years, my lad was 2 then and he also threw tantrums and stamped his feet, he's all grown up now, he's 6;)

well considering it was a clear goalscoring opportunity and he was taken down...

I don't think it was a penalty, although I did at the time.

And it doesn't matter.

Nobody is allowed to signal for a card to the referee.
    It's a yellow card offense.

No manager wether his name is Alex, Arsene, Gus, David, or Rafa is allowed to signal to the referee for a card to be given.

Can you explain?

thegen wrote: »
    I have to say this brought me back a few years, my lad was 2 then and he also threw tantrums and stamped his feet, he's all grown up now, he's 6;)

Of course Ferguson is the only manager that does that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

lol

'if we disregard one competition, and then say you will be knocked out of another competition, you will find we are the exact same"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

is that success ?

As a Liverpool fan desperate to win the league over and above anything else by a mile, I judge this season to be a success in terms of moving towards that ultimate goal. United fans accustomed to league titles year after year have a different set of standards. I look forward to when as a liverpool fan I realistically share them.

Sweet Jesus getting very petty aren't we seeing has it happens in less than a second. Oh and for the record if that had been a penalty (which it was) then Jagielka should have been sent off as he was last man.

But it's not sad for Fergie to discuss with Sam behind close doors and conclude that Rafa's signal to his players was the worst thing since Hitler crossed the Rhine?!:rolleyes:

And for the last time, it doesn't matter if it was a penalty.
    You're not allowed to try and influence the referee by imitating a card!

is that success ?

bit arrogant to presume the season is over already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

this is a liverpool v man utd thread masquerading as a ferguson v benitez one.
    brilliant but dangerous

• Advertisement
Advertisement