Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson vs Benitez thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

But it's not sad for Fergie to discuss with Sam behind close doors and conclude that Rafa's signal to his players was the worst thing since Hitler crossed the Rhine?!:rolleyes:

And for the last time, it doesn't matter if it was a penalty.
    You're not allowed to try and influence the referee by imitating a card!

That's something your courageous captain should also learn to stop doing as well unless he's too busy diving. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

spockety wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan desperate to win the league over and above anything else by a mile, I judge this season to be a success in terms of moving towards that ultimate goal. United fans accustomed to league titles year after year have a different set of standards. I look forward to when as a liverpool fan I realistically share them.

lolz

im off anyway

im still laughing thanks btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Headshot wrote: »
    lolz

im off anyway

every little victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

That's something your courageous captain should also learn to stop doing as well unless he's too busy diving. ;)

If Gerrard jumped into a fire?

I'm sorry is this a Gerrard thread?

No it's about Rafa and Fergie.
    And Rafa's never indicated to a referee for a card to be shown.

And for the record the only thing I hate more than players indicating for cards to be shown, is players diving.
    I constantly give about about Gerrard going down too easily, so what?

Does Fergie look to Gerrard for pointers?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Of course Ferguson is the only manager that does that. :rolleyes:

Denis, you are far to touchy. All I am saying he looks like a 2yr old. Many managers do it, but this thread is about Benitez and Ferguson.

lolz

im off anyway

He who laughs last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

No it's about Rafa and Fergie.

I don't think it's ever been about that. Just another thread designed for both sides to bait each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

so another season without a trophy

is that success ?
    If it means stepping up to the plate and challanging for the title (which was the goal this season) then yes. Rafa's making progress and judging by your manager these last few weeks it's as plain as the nose:cool: on his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Oh sweet jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Do we really need a(nother) thread to facilitate Pool - Man U bashing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis the Chelsea and Arsenal fans I feel for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

This really is pathetic. I know that these sort of argument's would go on regardless of this thread being here or not but this is just asking for a lock. I wouldn't mind if half of the post's were intelligently thought about but it's like being on a school yard most of the time.

Lets just wait and see who win's what at the end of may and then let the bashings begin. ;)

I love all the UTD supporters who think this thread is childish, but had no such problems with the "Rafa Rant", "Rafa to be fired", "Zonal marking", etc threads.

Or the ones who think Fergie is being insulted, but had no problem with the pictures of Rafa in a straight jacket, or the t-shirts, or the banners.

The simple fact of the matter is, both managers have acted wrongly in the media.

While the concensus seems to be it's okay for Fergie to be doing it, cause he's Fergie, he's been doing it for years.
    But it's wrong for Rafa to try.

This is a concensus held by UTD fans, and Fergies managerial bussom buddies.
    It was held by most media pundits untill Alex put both his and Big Sam's feet in his mouth at the same time this week!

Jesus, Allardyce even said as much in the national media!
    On Benitez's feud with Sir Alex Ferguson, a modest Allardyce had this to say: "You'd be foolish taking on Sir Alex because he knows every trick in the book.

When Rafa made his speech, to an undesired effect, UTD fans pounced and still sing chants about it.

There was the Rafa's cracked t-shirts, signs, banners, gifs, videos, pictures, chants.
    I even know a UTD fan who had the chant as his ringtone!:rolleyes:

All this is perfetly acceptable for UTD fans as it's what ye've grown to expect.

As soon as it's the other way around, UTD fans think it's childish, and disgusting.

Now to the core of the matter.
    Some people think that it's so touchy a subject now, simply because for the first time it's Liverpool.
    While I believe that this is part of the problem, I think it's not the real reason.
    The simple fact is that this is the first time it's been returned at UTD fans so vociferously.

There aren't as large a number of Arsenal or Chelsea fans as there are Liverpool fans.
    Especially not in Ireland.

Before whenever Alex made a mistake, it was a few dissenting voices shoving it in the UTD fans faces, and that's easy to ignore or drown out.

This time however, it's Liverpool.

Every UTD fan has a friend (or five) who supports Liverpool.
    For every UTD fan here, there's more Liverpool fans.

For the first time since all this mind games crap started, UTD fans are getting hit as hard as they hit.

And quiet frankly, I don't think they know how to take it.

When Fergie was one-upped by Mourinho or Wenger, it was easy to avoid.
    With Liverpool it's impossible.

As most fans of other teams will advise, we (UTD and Liverpool) tend to take over football discussions.

When Wenger had his invincibles, UTD could ignore the half dozen Arsenal fans.
    When Mourinho won two in a row, there were only a handfull of Chelsea fans.

Now if something doesn't go your way, suddenly there's half of this site, half your friends, half your work colleagues, half the people you play 5 a side with, half the people down the pub, half the bloody strangers in the street even, shoving it in your faces.

Well....so what.

We've had to put up with it for years.

The fans of the less supported clubs have to accept it even when they're winning for christ sake!

Just enjoy it for what it is.
    What makes sport great.
    Getting one over your rivals, and if you loose, thinking of how much better it'll make you feel next time if you win.

I for one wouldn't swap our title challenge being against UTD for any other team.
    Because if we loose, it'll hurt like a son'f a bit€h.

But if we win...........

Well, 'nuff said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Your all winner pickers :)

Funny thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

One things for sure if rafa had of played a weakened team similar to what fergie did yesterday he would be hounded and ridiculed by newspapers and pundits everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

As Ron Burgundy would say: "that got out of hand really quickly, it went up a notch!"

All the "mind games" bull is all a load of bollocks hyped by sky to sell a product. Nothing more, get over it.

Can't believe someone actually brought "Big Sam" into this. Moaning about not been giving the chance at a top job because he is English. Trust me Sam, its not your nationality. Your managerial skills are doing more to keep you out of the top jobs than your passport will ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    What's pathetic is it took Ferguson to say something for you start this thread. Why didn't you start it any other time over the last few months since Benitez hasn't stopped talking about Utd?

He was even talking about Utd at the press conference before the Chelsea CL game. That's pathetic.

Im sure there was a thread started in Jan when Rafa had his say. Rafa rotates and they lose the talk of rotation goes bananas, Rafa says something and all of a sudden he's goin crazy! Now Fergie comes out with the most ridiculous statment of the season and follows it up by showing contempt to Everton & the FA Cup (not the first time for that) by fielding youngsters in a Cup semi-final

Long live this thread I say

Daemonic wrote: »
    Better to have the squabbling going on in here than cluttering up super threads, match threads etc.

lolz u werent around after the fa cup match with everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Ok, out of the super-threads then ;)

• Advertisement

Im sure there was a thread started in Jan when Rafa had his say. Rafa rotates and they lose the talk of rotation goes bananas, Rafa says something and all of a sudden he's goin crazy! Now Fergie comes out with the most ridiculous statment of the season and follows it up by showing contempt to Everton & the FA Cup (not the first time for that) by fielding youngsters in a Cup semi-final

Long live this thread I say

how was it contempt when our youngsters had a great chance to win the match if the peno was given and our youngsters drew with everton until the peno's of course

have you've see our fixtures lately a very tough run in and we also had injuries on sunday too

so do a bit of homework before you start your silly post mmkay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A7X wrote: »
    This really is pathetic. I know that these sort of argument's would go on regardless of this thread being here or not but this is just asking for a lock. I wouldn't mind if half of the post's were intelligently thought about but it's like being on a school yard most of the time.

Lets just wait and see who win's what at the end of may and then let the bashings begin. ;)

Nope. You see, that is every bit as childish an interjection as the posts you are lambasting in your first paragraph. If Ferguson wins more stuff at the end of may that won't 'prove him right' or show that 'he won the mind games duel'. If Ferguson throws all his toys out of his pram and acts like a twat in April then, even if he wins all the loot in May, he will still have acted like a twat in April.

[Mod Hat On] We've decided to leave this thread open. And we will lock it when we see fit. Any more posts along the lines of 'lock this thread' will see the poster infracted and temp banned from the forum. Don't try me on this point. [/Mod Hat On]

was there a rafa rant thread ?

"lolz"

He was arround however when UTD went through the horrible run of form, and suddenly the major UTD supporting posters in the Liverpool thread seemed to disapear for about a month.
    Only to come back after the Porto/Chelsea games.

Funny that.

"lolz"

He was arround however when UTD went through the horrible run of form, and suddenly the major UTD supporting posters in the Liverpool thread seemed to disapear for about a month.
    Only to come back after the Porto/Chelsea games.

Funny that.

:rolleyes:

do you stalk them or somthing because im presuming you think there here 24/7 or somthing

i cant talk for them tbh but theres a recession on atm people have lost jobs etc

so nothing would suprise me

Yes.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

do you stalk them or somthing because im presuming you think there here 24/7 or somthing

i cant talk for them tbh but theres a recession on atm people have lost jobs etc

so nothing would suprise me

Yes.

That's it.

The recession is the reason that Yourself, Boogles, etc stopped posting in the Liverpool thread.

Do you even listen to yourself?

You complain about Liverpool supporters slagging you off in the Everton match thread.
    But ignore the fact that the UTD fans, some of whom (Boogles) are in the top 10 posters in the thread, dissapeared as soon as UTD started playing badly, only to resurface when things stabalised somewhat.

Maybe the Liverpool fans were in the Everton thread because they lost their jobs during the recession, and could post more frequently now!:rolleyes::confused:

Yes.

I cant find it at all

Yes.

That's it.

The recession is the reason that Yourself, Boogles, etc stopped posting in the Liverpool thread.

Do you even listen to yourself?

You complain about Liverpool supporters slagging you off in the Eveerton match thread.
    But ignore the fact that the UTD fans, some of whom (Boogles) are in the top 10 posters in the thread, dissapeared as soon as UTD started playing badly, only to resurface when things stabalised somewhat.

Maybe the Liverpool fans were in the Everton thread because they lost their jobs during the recession, and could post more freuently now!:rolleyes::confused:
    im sorry but your dead wrong i was around and posting
    maybe do a post search and you'll see
    im always around like a bad flu

The more you concentrate on it, the less attention you have to give to rafa messing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

One things for sure if rafa had of played a weakened team similar to what fergie did yesterday he would be hounded and ridiculed by newspapers and pundits everywhere

Good job so Rafa will never be in the position to challenge on all fronts, the Spaniard is safe enough in my opinion.

I for one was delighted with the lineup United put out yesterday. Was exactly what I called for a week before the game was played.

I remember having an adult debate last season about the lack of opportunities given to up and coming youth and talent because the pressure of winning every game was immense and didn't allow youngsters to be bloodied, resulting in top potential invariably moving away/abroad.

Ferguson put out a side yesterday which contained 7 full internationals with the average age been 22, this delighted me and other United fans no end. United have bloodied some real talent this season in the cups and in the league, the youngsters yesterday will be infinataly better having played at wembley in an fa cup semi final in front of 80,000 odd people, that sort of experience is priceless. The fact that they were unsuccessful will stand to them in the future, because they now know how bitter it tastes.

On the match itself, United shaded it and lost in the lotto that is penalties, as Stubbs said at half time it may not have been Uniteds first 11 but most of those players would walk into many teams in the premeir league.

It was disappointing to lose the match, but that was the only negative from a huge few hours of positives.

Moyes used mind games this week and fair play to him for doing that, IMO the ref was influenced.

Merseyside could be seeing a trophy yet this season, thankfully it is the blue half. ;)

Boggles wrote: »
    Good job so Rafa will never be in the position to challenge on all fronts, the Spaniard is safe enough in my opinion.

I for one was delighted with the lineup United put out yesterday. Was exactly what I called for a week before the game was played.

I remember having an adult debate last season about the lack of opportunities given to up and coming youth and talent because the pressure of winning every game was immense and didn't allow youngsters to be bloodied, resulting in top potential invariably moving away/abroad.

Ferguson put out a side yesterday which contained 7 full internationals with the average age been 22, this delighted me and other United fans no end. United have bloodied some real talent this season in the cups and in the league, the youngsters yesterday will be infinataly better having played at wembley in an fa cup semi final in front of 80,000 odd people, that sort of experience is priceless. The fact that they were unsuccessful will stand to them in the future, because they now know how bitter it tastes.

On the match itself, United shaded it and lost in the lotto that is penalties, as Stubbs said at half time it may not have been Uniteds first 11 but most of those players would walk into many teams in the premeir league.

It was disappointing to lose the match, but that was the only negative from a huge few hours of positives.

Moyes used mind games this week and fair play to him for doing that, IMO the ref was influenced.

Merseyside could be seeing a trophy yet this season, thankfully it is the blue half. ;)
    im also hoping moyes does the job against chelsea, really deserves a trophy for a team on limited budget unlike the other half they've really done well

not so bad for a small club :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Again like yesterday, I'm going to take positives from this, it makes me feel good inside that you missed me Karma, cheers buddy.

I was on holidays by the way, why we are discussing me, I don't know. :eek:

im sorry but your dead wrong i was around and posting
    maybe do a post search and you'll see
    im always around like a bad flu

The more you concentrate on it, the less attention you have to give to rafa messing up

Take a look at your post frequency, and that of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yes

I think Rafa is just trying to deflect attention from the real issue.

The imment return of.............

sport-graphics-2008_694436a.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

im also hoping moyes does the job against chelsea, really deserves a trophy for a team on limited budget unlike the other half they've really done well

not so bad for a small club :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why are you calling Everton a small club? I have to say I think that is highly disrespectful.

Coming from such a respected poster and all. Shocking.

oh ya he's coming back aint he

i fear for the pl

how was it contempt when our youngsters had a great chance to win the match if the peno was given and our youngsters drew with everton until the peno's of course

have you've see our fixtures lately a very tough run in and

so do a bit of homework before you start your silly post mmkay

Would United have won comfortably if they had played there full team?? Yes

Did Fergie think they would still beat Everton by playing a gang of Youngsters?? Yes

Is this because he thinks there unbelievably good or because he thinks Everton aren't as good as people say? The latter most definately

Is this Arrogance?? Yes

Is Fergie a hypocrit? Yes

These are the questions put out there when Rafa plays the second string and they come up short so why shouldn't it be the same now when Fergie does it?

How does the pitch affect players? There legs get stuck in it or something?

*awaits avalanche of replies including statistics that make no sence*

No, you can't say that all, unless your mystic megs son?

I direct you to the 2 league meetings between the 2 this season.

Did Fergie think they would still beat Everton by playing a gang of Youngsters?? Yes

Is this because he thinks there unbelievably good or because he thinks Everton aren't as good as people say? The latter most definately

Is this Arrogance?? Yes

Is Fergie a hypocrit? Yes

These are the questions put out there when Rafa plays the second string and they come up short so why shouldn't it be the same now when Fergie does it?

How does the pitch affect players? There legs get stuck in it or something?

*awaits avalanche of replies including statistics that make no sence*

your post makes no sense,....another silly post
    try to learn from your mistakes mmkay

how do you know we've won comfortably if we played our full team,do i have to repeat myself, if that peno was given we had a great chance to beat everton with youngsters

ohh its really funny if utd won that match ......which they shouldve ....we wouldnt have posts like yours

do i really have to go into fixtures etc

lolz how does the pitch effect players,your having a joke right lmfao
    so some home work

• Advertisement

I love how you laugh, but he's got a better scoring record this season than a certain somebody.

23 Games, 11 goals

dimitar_berbatov13.jpg

28 Games, 8 goals

And Voronin cost nothing.

How much did Berba cost again?
    £34,000,000.

Yeah, ye got the great bargain there.:cool:

I love how you laugh, but he's got a better scoring record this season than a certain somebody.

23 Games, 11 goals

dimitar_berbatov13.jpg

28 Games, 8 goals

And Voronin cost nothing.

How much did Berba cost again?
    £34,000,000.

Yeah, ye got the great bargain there.:cool:

yawn

Robbie keane ........................................

your post makes no sense,....another silly post
    try to learn from your mistakes mmkay

lolz how does the pitch effect players,your having a joke right lmfao
    so some home work

Well Fergie said he rested Berbatov, Scholes & Evra because he seen the state of the pitch in the match the previous day. I was just wondering why he thought they wiould be two good to play on it?

No need to be so dis-missive with your silly replies :-) mmkay

yawn

Robbie keane ........................................

And Robbie Keane has what to do with Voronin?

And in fact, Robbie Keane has what to do with Fergie making an ass of himself?

Fergie can make a fool of himself without Voronins help.

Well Fergie said he rested Berbatov, Scholes & Evra because he seen the state of the pitch in the match the previous day. I was just wondering why he thought they wiould be two good to play on it?

No need to be so dis-missive with your silly replies :-) mmkay

just dont get it do you the fixtures are coming up fast

And Robbie Keane has what to do with Voronin?

And in fact, Robbie Keane has what to do with Fergie making an ass of himself?

Fergie can make a fool of himself without Voronins help.

you brought up berba so why cant i bring up keane

just dont get it do you the fixtures are coming up fast

Well why didn't he say that instead of blaming the pitch?! Your typical of the United post-loss syndrome...Cannot deal with it!

Well why didn't he say that instead of blaming the pitch?! Your typical of the United post-loss syndrome...Cannot deal with it!

He did, your just choosing to ignore it because you have an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He said the pitch looked like it was difficult to move the ball around on it, so would be difficult to play properly and so would likely go to extra time, which he didn't want to put his first team through.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnddd........ he was correct !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Dave! wrote: »
    He said the pitch looked like it was difficult to move the ball around on it, so would be difficult to play properly and so would likely go to extra time, which he didn't want to put his first team through.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnddd........ he was correct !

As far as I could make out, both teams played on the same pitch. Bad pitch/good pitch, I wonder would Fergie have been giving out if the result was different?

In relation to the whole topic of Fergie V Rafa, it's nice to see Fergie get a taste of his own medicine for a change, and while the world and his mother were laughing and pointing at Rafa after his outburst in Jan, it looks like it's Fergie who has been affected the most, and I love the way he talks about Rafa talking about him, while doing the exact same thing himself. As was famously once said(paraphrased) , he doesn't like it up him!!

Advertisement