Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many *people* use boards ?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I see the front page says there's 1,708,718 unique users and 22,221,109 page impressions. When I go to the member list I see there's 177,308 accounts. This info doesn't really mean much to me.

Does anyone know how many people use this site with an active account ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm sure the admins have all sorts of whacky stats. What would you define as "active account"? Posted in the last hour? Day? Week? Month? 6 months? Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It would be cool if in the next census you can get the CSO to ask whether you've visited Boards before :P

I know something like that is impossible to predict, but it'd be really interesting to know what % of the country has even heard of the website before, never mind create an account.

I know that of my own class of 75, nearly 50% has heard of the website, if that helps :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I can tell you that 111,312 separate accounts have been active in the past year. I can also tell you that, of those, 64,007 have posted in the past year.

That doesn't include people who read boards but don't have an account/aren't signed in.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have a bunch of metrics now (in the last few weeks we've been working on them).

Turns out, its kinda hard to define things :)

You ask "how many people 'use' Boards". Could you define "Use" for me and I'll give it a shot...

To preempt you and to give you some idea of the sorts of numbers we have (these are from memory so they are rounded up).

Google says 2.1 Million unique visitors took at least one page from Boards last month. (thats guests and logged in people but its unique by machine)

40,000 accounts logged in last month,
    55,000 accounts have logged in in the last 3 months.

Remember all those people saying "hey if an account hasnt been active in the last 2 years you should delete it". Turns out they were all wrong and I was right. *cough*. :pac: :)
    We did some datamining between this years and last years backup to see how many dormant accounts had reactivated in the last year. Its as follows:

50+ accounts who (according to the 2008 database) last logged in in 2001 woke up and started posting again in the last 12 months.

500+ accounts who last logged in in 2004 woke up and started posting again in the last 12 months.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

500+ is a lot of zombies :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

500+ is a lot of zombies :pac:
    Or some loving parents are registering their kids like most folk pay into college funds...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I actually didnt believe this myself.

There was one account who registered with us in the very first month we were live... posted a few times and then disappeared. They turned up again a few months ago according to my metrics. I thought "something weird here, I've done something dumb with this SQL query so I ask the majic 8-ball for the user account name.

I got it, looked him up in the Admin Control Panel, reviewed his post history and sure enough, there was an 8 year break in their posting history. All reasonable posts too...

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I had a gap of posting of 2 3/4 years. Long enough that I forgot what my original username was! :o (Yes, I'm a re-reg.)

Sometimes life (or in my case work) gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mad Ted.
    Though if you looked up my old @cs.tcd.ie email address in the database, there might be an old forgotten account in there from waaaaay back. Or not. I'm too old to remember stuff from that far back.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is yours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?do=getinfo&u=75738, though I see you've been to visit it too.

IRLConor, I'm guessing this is yours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?do=getinfo&u=17792.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

And that's why you're an SMod. Superior investigative skills. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This is yours: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?do=getinfo&u=75738, though I see you've been to visit it too.
    Not in years. I actually don't remember it :D
    Jikes. I thought that was another shooter alltogether :D

DeVore wrote: »
    I actually didnt believe this myself.

There was one account who registered with us in the very first month we were live... posted a few times and then disappeared. They turned up again a few months ago according to my metrics. I thought "something weird here, I've done something dumb with this SQL query so I ask the majic 8-ball for the user account name.
    Was it Jesus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

DeVore wrote: »

500+ accounts who last logged in in 2004 woke up and started posting again in the last 12 months.

DeV.

Even I didn't know I had that many. 1 a day since 2002?

Dear god.......

:pac:

go buffy...go buffy...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I can tell you that 111,312 separate accounts have been active in the past year. I can also tell you that, of those, 64,007 have posted in the past year.

That doesn't include people who read boards but don't have an account/aren't signed in.
    I know plenty of people who just read and don't have an account.
    Google brought quite a few of them here.
    Certain posts by me brought others.

Overheal wrote: »
    Was it Jesus?
    I used to think I was Jesus.
    I don't any more.
    I'm 33 but I didn't die over Easter and I still can't grow a proper beard.

I now think that I'm the first step towards a totally hairless human race, so that sort of makes me a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

when i was first on boards i had an indigo (remember them? - dont tell me they're still going lol) e mail account and my PC was a Time one - bought in the downstairs of Arnotts no less.

when said PC broke down and i moved house and had kids and lost interest in tings so when came back in 2005 or thereabouts i had to re create from scratch - think i was away for 2 or three years. big change when i returned i have to say.

wonder how many others have similar tales?

Thats one kind of story... but what I'm reporting there is people who didnt rereg, they either remembered their password (wtf?!) or requested it and continued on with the same account. God only knows how many people just signed up again :)

As for Indigo... I bought a "lifetime" Internet Eireann account...remember them?!...lasted 14 months before they went out of business and were bought by the newly created "Indigo"!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I originally joined in 2002 but never posted until 2006 when I signed up again. I had forgotten my first account login so re-regged, then got the accounts merged to give myself a nice 02 join date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I think I'm one of those dinosaurs who dissappered & returned. I feel special now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I definitely had a massive posting hiatus.

I originally registered to use the members.boards.ie thing to host images because it allowed hotlinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I originally joined in 2002 but never posted until 2006 when I signed up again. I had forgotten my first account login so re-regged, then got the accounts merged to give myself a nice 02 join date.
    Similar to me. I joined when it was quake.ie and then discovered boards.ie in 2004. I was here 2 years before I made the connection between boards.ie and quake.ie and also got a merge for the join date (also got 13 posts from my original account :))

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Terry wrote: »
    I know plenty of people who just read and don't have an account.
    Google brought quite a few of them here.
    Google is a great friend of boards, just about any Irish related search brings up a boards thread. Makes you realize just how huge boards is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »

I could do that and get a 2001 Join Date.

I joined when I was in college, but stopped posting, then forgot my password. I still know the email address associated with the old account too.

I've been meaning to ask for a name change anyway, work are getting antsy about my postcount, so this could be the asnwer, a whole new identity with different stats and all.

Hmmmm.

Admins, would it be possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Des wrote: »
    work are getting antsy about my postcount, so this could be the asnwer, a whole new identity with different stats and all.

Work are getting antsy ? Who do you work for :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Giant ants? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

me me me ........i soooo use boards...for lots of things....loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I'm a re-reg joined as irishboy99_ then didn't post for a while and set up this account... I'd actually forgotten my username and all... but just last week i went into calendar and irishboy99_ had the same birthday as me and then I remembred

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

How many moderators are there? Accumulative.

banquo wrote: »
    How many moderators are there? Accumulative.
    afaik theres somewhere between 500 and 700 active moderators/smods/cmods/hmods/amods/admins. as for how many previous/inactive of those...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

About 489 mods now.

Advertisement