Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid parking laws in Cavan town.

• 19-04-2009 4:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

You may be aware, Dear Reader, that the local Chamber of Commerce have been offering just about everything short of b**w j**s to get shoppers shopping in Cavan town as opposed to Enniskillen or Lisnaskea.

It's all very praiseworthy. But in this case, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

A woman I know was recently fined €40 under the parking laws because she left her car in the same place for over two hours. She'd paid for the whole time (and more) but that's not enough. You have to move it.

The only thing is - she was getting her hair done and so was indisposed. I don't know much about what's done with women's hair but it can take well over two hours.

So, there you have it. If you need a complex hairdo, don't go to Cavan. And if you want to support the local economy by shopping for an entire day, don't go too far from the car because you'll need return to it to move it to some other parking space every so often. Because the rules say you have to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Pay to park is in force in many towns and cities throughout Ireland, we're not unique in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Pay to park is in force in many towns and cities throughout Ireland, we're not unique in this regard.

I have no problem with pay to park. It's this pointless rule that you have to move the car every once in a while. Were the town chock a block with shoppers, this would make sense but it quite obviously isn't. Hence their desperate attempts to get people shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Parking wardens....scum of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Hmm, I can see where they're coming from. Though really, it seems a bit senseless. Poorly thought through, a very Irish thing.

There shouldn't really be an issue with leaving your car in the same location if you have paid to have it there in the first place.

The Urban District Council looks after the parking in town, right? Surely this can be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Sense here would be to allow the maximum of two hours for street parking but allow longer periods in the car parks, but who's ever heard of sense in council or government depts:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

But surely they do allow longer in the car parks? Isn't that the way in which the people working in town park their cars, allowing the more convenient spaces to be made available to those coming into town to shop/ bank etc. I have no sympathy here; your friend should have parked somewhere, like the big car park behind the cinema that allows longer parking times, because, as you say yourself, it takes longer than 2hrs do get a new hairdo. Of course some people don't like having to walk more than 50 yards.

But surely they do allow longer in the car parks? Isn't that the way in which the people working in town park their cars, allowing the more convenient spaces to be made available to those coming into town to shop/ bank etc. I have no sympathy here; your friend should have parked somewhere, like the big car park behind the cinema that allows longer parking times, because, as you say yourself, it takes longer than 2hrs do get a new hairdo. Of course some people don't like having to walk more than 50 yards.

The hairdresser's salon is in College Street - several hundred metres from the car park you're referring to. Was she supposed to run up Main Street with her hair streaming with shampoo, conditioner and whatever else they put in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Parking in the town is terrible. Not conductive to shopping in the town at all.

Parking along the street? Want to stay for 10 minutes while you run into the bank or whatever? Pay for an hours parking.

Parking in the Carpark? Only running into Tesco? 10 minutes, you say? Pay for an hour.

Want to stay longer and willing to pay? Hah, you have to move your car.

Then again, drivers around this town can't park anyway. (I know thats a sweeping generalization, but I don't care!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    Stupid parking laws in Cavan town.
    No, merely people who don't read the signs.
    The hairdresser's salon is in College Street - several hundred metres from the car park you're referring to. Was she supposed to run up Main Street with her hair streaming with shampoo, conditioner and whatever else they put in?
    She wouldn't have to move the car if she parked in the car park in the first place. :rolleyes:

Victor wrote: »
    No, merely people who don't read the signs.

She wouldn't have to move the car if she parked in the car park in the first place. :rolleyes:

There are no on-street signs saying you must move your car every so often. Also, she says that car park was full on the day in question.

Come back to this thread when you have as much relevant knowledge as you do att-it-chood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

There are no on-street signs saying you must move your car every so often. Also, she says that car park was full on the day in question.

Come back to this thread when you have as much relevant knowledge as you do att-it-chood.

Some of the car parks are 2hr parking the same as the streets. I think Bridge St Car Park and maybe the one at the egg market. I have often parked on the street for most of the day on a saturday and never had any bother.

As far as i know their is signage on the streets saying 2hr Max parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Why would she be running up the street with wet hair? She could have parked there for as long as she wanted, and then returned to the car park when all was done, and hair was dry.

Car park by laws are there for all. Women getting their hair done have no rights of exclusion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Decided to bring the kids to the cinema last week while they were on their Easter holidays from school. So i parked in a space unloaded the kids and went over to pay to park. The first machine was out of order. So I walked acreoss the car park to another machine. This one took my money allright but it was not registering on the screen that i had paid and would'nt give me a ticket. So I pressed the reect button to get my money back. Guess what no money back.
    So Ive paid for my parking but the damm machine won't give me the ticket to show it.
    what a joke. No wonder I shop in enniskillen!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

bicardi19 wrote: »
    Decided to bring the kids to the cinema last week while they were on their Easter holidays from school. So i parked in a space unloaded the kids and went over to pay to park. The first machine was out of order. So I walked acreoss the car park to another machine. This one took my money allright but it was not registering on the screen that i had paid and would'nt give me a ticket. So I pressed the reect button to get my money back. Guess what no money back.
    So Ive paid for my parking but the damm machine won't give me the ticket to show it.

Send a letter to the council and you'll get a refund.

I doubt if thats the reason you go to Enniskillen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Never said that was the reason!!
    I think everyone knows why we go to enniskillen.
    You make it sound dirty!!

Hmmmm.......Enniskillen. :p

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nia121

I know this thread is a couple of years ago so might not get a reply but did your friend pay that parking fine that time?
    Same thing recently happened me. I was parked outside of work on town hall street (where Ive been working for 4 years) never knew that you couldn't pay to park your car for more than two hours!
    What happened me was I parked my car for 2 hours - left and went home and came back maybe 30/40 minutes later - and I got fined for coming back and parking on that street again within an hour!
    So basically - if you park for 2 hours you have to leave that street and can't come back again for an hour!!! Like who makes up this sh*t?!
    I understand yes that if you are going to be parking yuor car for a longer period of time than one or 2 hours then yeah park in a long term car park! But for me that day - I just parked outside office so that I could come and go throughout the day as I was checking in and out of sick relative at home! So I really wasnt parked there for a full 2 hours that day becasue i came and left and came back again twice! so my car was never parked for a full 2 hours :P
    Anyway - I explained all this to county council in an email and i got no where with them  - very rude and abrupt and basically said no the fine is still in place - pay it. So a county councilor who I talked to about this issued an appeal for me and they denied it. The fine now has been raised to 60 euro because I didn't pay the initial 40 euro fine within a 30 day period or something. Now they are threatening me with court!
    Just wondering has anyone heard of anyone being summonsed to court in this instance before?
    Too stubborn to pay the fine. I would have no problem paying it if I didnt have a ticket on my car or if i was fined for over lapsing time on the ticket - but this wasn't the case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No need to dig up long dead threads especially when you have one already going on this subject.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement