Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport renewal -what do they do with your visas?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 7:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I've just realised that my Irish passport will need renewing towards the end of the year - which is a bit of a pain. I have a few questions about it and though someone here might have experience with it.

If you have current visas in your passport do they automatically transfer them to your new one? (I have fancy blue NZ residency stickers that I'm quite attached to in my passport!) or do you have to request it?

If you need to renew your passport when you are abroad do you just apply to your nearest embassy (I'm presuming in this case it's the Irish consulate in Auckland?) I bet they still charge yoyos as well - which is a bit crap seeming as I'm not earning yoyos anymore!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I don't know about NZ, but in Australia the visa page is just for decoration, it's all stored electronically. I'm not sure what happens when your passport number changes, but I'm sure they've dealt with it before and will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well i'm in the same boat .

From what I can find out i think you get a brand new passport with none of the visa stamps in it . And a different passpaort number .

Plus I think its a bio one now as well

Will let you know when i get it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

When you apply for a new passport, put a cover note requesting your old one back. They'll cut the corners off and send it back to you. Also, might help if you scan your old passport, just to have a PDF copy of it.

It's not too difficult to call through to them and speak to someone and confirm if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think they always send back the old passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Cant answer for NZ but as Australia has been mentioned...

For Aus you can simply travel with your new passport and your old passport with your visa in it. So you carry both. if you wish to have your visa in your new passport and are onshore you can simply bring it along to a DIAC office and they will transfer. if offshore you need to send the two passports to London.
    When you send your old passport off for renewal in ireland just stick in a note asking for the pages with your visa not to be damaged (they only cut off the corners of the front and back cover but better to be safe than sorry. they do return old passport with new passport).

I travelled with both old pasport and new passport for years before citizenship. I recently checked for a friend that it was still the case and it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

travelling with two passports seems a bit silly. I have a residency permit and a returning residents visa (which allows me leave and enter NZ whenver i want).

i think I'll talk to immigration and see can it get transferred to my new passport - I thought maybe the Irish passport office would transfer the visa for you.

How annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

You don't need to travel with both, just the newy. Customs are aware of your permit, it's more for employment, where they may actually want to see the permit.

As you say, you're best getting in touch with immigration. www.immi.gov.au

bw wrote: »
    You don't need to travel with both, just the newy. Customs are aware of your permit, it's more for employment, where they may actually want to see the permit.

As you say, you're best getting in touch with immigration. www.immi.gov.au

Turn up to Aus with out a visa in a passport, that would be a guttsy move. Customs are not aware you have a visa just that there is a person with your name that has a visa (holiday visas are different).
    Your visa has your passport no. on it. When you travel that has to be in order (either visa in old passport and they match or your new passport has a reissue and the numbers match). I have heard of people entering Aus on certain visa types that were paper issues (ie not a sticker in the passport but this was just temp visas and they usually had to later present their passport for visa sticker to be attached. Is that what you meant? its a newish thing)
    1) best case senario they hold you for hours and hours at custom being severly pissed off at you and you end up on "nothing to declare" before letting you through and you are struck from their Christmas card list.
    2)they turn you around and your back on the next plane out (which they are entitled to do)

You either get your visa transfered to new passport or travel with both new and old passports (holds true for Aus as I said). Its not a major hassle in the grand scheme of things really. Save yourself needless potential hassle.

Watna, The Irish government cannot switch your visa to a new passport as they are not the country that issued the visa. Only the country that issues the passport or visa can reissue the equivalent either onshore or offshore and that has to match in their records.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

watna wrote: »
    If you need to renew your passport when you are abroad do you just apply to your nearest embassy (I'm presuming in this case it's the Irish consulate in Auckland?) I bet they still charge yoyos as well - which is a bit crap seeming as I'm not earning yoyos anymore!

Yes. I think the fee is quoted in $NZ, but suspect it's an E figure converted (if you're lucky, at an older rate than today).

Due to the need for biol whats-it, I think the nice man in Auckland has to send it off to Dublin to be issued, but he will deal with the postage etc for you. May take a few weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I had mine changed last year. It takes 4-6 weeks to get a new Irish passport. It gets sent back to Ireland and processed in Dublin. When it gets back to you, call in to immigration with your old and new passport and they might change it over there and then. But the will charge a fee to print two new stickers! Bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Just been onto passport office here in Dublin today for a renewal of a passport.

As bw said they do indeed cut the corners off the old one and return it back to you .

As for any visa on the old one you won't have them on the new one . You'll prob have to call into the Visa office with the new and old one and i'm sure they'll know what to do .

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Bleeding passport pages are effectively a waste of paper!! tis all electronic nowadays!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

does anybody know then, if this means you can get another "first" WHV for oz/nz if you have a new passport with a different passport number?

Surely this would be too easy! Anybody know?

does anybody know then, if this means you can get another "first" WHV for oz/nz if you have a new passport with a different passport number?

Surely this would be too easy! Anybody know?
    I would reckon DIAC would be able to check ,with the new passport no, if any passports have been issued previously and hence if they had issued a whv. Am sure there would be alot of cross referencing with any nation that they have a whv agreement with. ( not all countries can avail of the aussie whv program so presumably one of the agreements would be to be able to check with a particiapating country regarding passport issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye they can probably check ur name from the previous passport. Assuming of course you stick with your name in english and not get your name changed into irish on ur new passport (which ur entitled to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭unaoz

Ozeire wrote: »
    Just been onto passport office here in Dublin today for a renewal of a passport.

As bw said they do indeed cut the corners off the old one and return it back to you .

As for any visa on the old one you won't have them on the new one . You'll prob have to call into the Visa office with the new and old one and i'm sure they'll know what to do .

which visa office will i have to call into to renew my oz visa in my new irish passport? there isn't an oz visa office in dublin is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ............... and not get your name changed into irish on ur new passport (which ur entitled to do).

is this the case, is there much other hassle to it?
    a mate got this done for his second passport and i think he said he had to prove he had previously done business in irish to get his name changed. lucky for him he was form the gaelteacht and had school records etc.

unaoz wrote: »
    which visa office will i have to call into to renew my oz visa in my new irish passport? there isn't an oz visa office in dublin is there?

you have to send new and old passport with visa in it to London (presuming its a residency visa. not sure about whv's)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Bleeding passport pages are effectively a waste of paper!! tis all electronic nowadays!!

Nope. The majority of countries around the world still work with paper visas and stamps in your passport. It's actually the exception rather than the rule to have electronic visas.

But then, you've probably only traveled to first world English speaking countries.

ArseBurger wrote: »

But then, you've probably only traveled to first world English speaking countries.

pretty certain he's been to australia :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Real_World?

Moving to Australia in May.

But my wifes passport is due to expire in December so I want to get the Resident visa which has been approved moved to her new passport number.

We travel to Australia last summer to activate the visa and now we are making the move.

Any advice on how we can sort out the visa and get it linked to the new passport number.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Form 929

Advertisement