Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning up my Record N0. 5 jack plane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

it is my understanding that dessicant can be dried out in the oven at low temp for a while. I keep some in the car to try and keep the windows from misting up in the mornings. Works pretty good. You should be able to find something online about how to dry it out.

I would still say that putting a light coat of oil on steel is still needed as a moisture barrier.

Speaking of chemists looking at you like you have three heads. Would anybody know where to find mineral oil? It is used to lubricate when using grinding pastes like pumice and rottenstone but it is also used to oil chopping boards (which i want to make as presents for people from offcuts ) as it does not go rancid like vegetable oils. It is the base that is used for baby oil and according to some of the sites you can get it from the pharmacy but these were american sites and they seem to have everything over there in one handy shop, be it their local DIY shop that must be the size of leinster or pharmacies that are the size of dublin. I asked the lady in the local chemist and she looked at me like i was asking for sky hooks or glass nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I wouldn't be a fan of "mineral oil" on chopping boards myself, I use regular olive oil and vegetable oil. Another oil that's good for oil stones, apparently is "neats foot", try asking the pharmacist for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ennisa wrote: »
    Speaking of chemists looking at you like you have three heads. Would anybody know where to find mineral oil?
    Mineral oil is a US term. Here it's called Liquid Paraffin and you can get it in any pharmacist as far as I know. BTW it's nothing like paraffin as used in paraffin stoves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Fantastic, thanks for that Alun. I shall have a look about and see what I can find. Parrafin is not what I would think of when thinking about a base for baby oil but as you say it is not the stuff we would associate with your average parrafin lamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mullman

Can anyone recommend any decent local markets or vintage associations where I would be able to pick up some old planes. There are always a few on ebay but I personally prefer to handle them myself and give them a good look over "in the flesh" so to speak before I part with cash.

I'm based in Mayo so if ye could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 recordhandplane

G'Day from Australia
    Would like to talk to any Irish Tool collectors I have been collecting Record Tools for about 40 years and started my collecting in Co.Meath.You can see my collection at www.recordhandplanes.com I would like to see some Irish collectors on my guestbook
    Slán
    David (Dáithi)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi David,thanks for the link to your site,very good.I like your step by step restoration piece

G'Day Aerosol
    Another great Australian site for Hand Plane Restoration see
    www.majorpanic.com there is a link on my site. Can you tell me about tool collecting in Ireland. Also do you know any thing about Sanderson's, Droichead Nua. I have a Dovetail Saw by Sanderson's and know nothing about them so any information would be welcome.Thank You
    Stay-Sharp
    David
    www.recordhandplanes.com

Well done on the site Daithi, I'd seen it before, nice work.

Well done on the site Daithi, I'd seen it before, nice work.
    G'Day Jack of All
    Thanks for the complement. you say your location is the midlands is that midlands Ireland? I am trying to find out and history of Sanderson's. Droichead Nua. (New bridge) I have a brass back dovetail saw by Sandersons I picked up in Ireland about 10 years ago and I would love to know a bit of history about them. I would love to see some Irish lads sign my guestbook. I have people from all over the world and only one from Ireland from my home town. Thanks for any help you can give on Sanderson's
    Slán Leat
    Dáithi
    www.recordhandplanes.com

• Advertisement

I've never heard of Sanderson's, was it a hardware shop? I know that in times past many of the larger hardware stores and tool merchants would "re-brand" some tools with their own name. Sorry I can't tell you more; I wouldn't be very familiar with Newbridge at all.

I've never heard of Sanderson's, was it a hardware shop? I know that in times past many of the larger hardware stores and tool merchants would "re-brand" some tools with their own name. Sorry I can't tell you more; I wouldn't be very familiar with Newbridge at all.

G'Day
    I think Sanderson's were manufacturers of cutlery.I don't think the saw I have has been re-branded as it is marked into the brass back of the saw with Sandersons. Droichead Nua. There must be someone in Ireland that knows something about them. If you think of someone that could help me could you please ask for me Thank you
    Slán
    Dáithi (David)
    www.recordhandplanes.com

Advertisement