Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I crew on keelboat?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Had a great night out sailing last night. I was in the Puppeteer class race on a boat called Cloud 9. The owners were a very friendly couple who seem to be genuinely interested in encouraging wannabe sailors like me! We came in 9th out of about 30 boats which was not bad for my first time out.

In a way, it was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. Windy was fairly strong and there was a lot of spray and it can be challenging to climb/crawl across the deck during each tack/gybe.

For anybody thinking of taking the plunge and trying crewing for the first time, I would strongly recommend getting out there and doing it! You will learn very quickly by crewing in races like this. Even if you don't do anything on your first 1 or 2 outings, keep your eyes and ears open and ask plenty of questions and you'll soon pick up the basics. Make sure to wear a life jacket, a good raincoat, waterproof trousers, wellies (or proper sailing boots if you have them), a warm hat & gloves. Even in the middle of Summer on a warm evening, you should have your waterproofs and boots on from the beginning because there is lots of spray and your feet will be dangling over the edge of the boat and occasionally dunking into the water.

I'll back out all day Saturday on the same boat for the Lambay Island race (one of the big events of the year). Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
    Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Had a great night out sailing last night. I was in the Puppeteer class race on a boat called Cloud 9. The owners were a very friendly couple who seem to be genuinely interested in encouraging wannabe sailors like me!

+1. I was out on Cloud 9 a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it.
    .. it can be challenging to climb/crawl across the deck during each tack/gybe.

++1 :D I was black and blue after a couple of hours of hurling myself out of the way of the boom.
    I'll back out all day Saturday on the same boat for the Lambay Island race (one of the big events of the year). Looking forward to it!

Enjoy ! I had hoped to be out that day too, but my son's birthday party was already in the diary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

TarfHead wrote: »
    I made my 'debut' last night - a Class 3 race out of Howth.

I really enjoyed it, the other crew were very accomodating and my mistakes were classic rookie ones.

I've been asked back for next week, so I can't have been too useless :D.

Thanks for the advice

Good news - which boat are you sailing on?

Advertisement