Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing oven after fire.

• 19-04-2009 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Nearly five weeks ago there was a fire at my flat which was my fault. A couple of things were damaged and the oven is completely not working. I have a microwave but other than that I've been unable to cook.

I know that the fire wasn't the landlords fault but I was wondering if it's his responsibility to replace the oven. A lot of peole have told me that he would have insurance for that - and they have told me to let him know about anything else that got damaged in the fire as this could also be claimed off his insurance.

It's probably unreasonable but I am annoyed that he hasn't even gotten in touch about the oven. He came around to check the damage and knows its broken but hasn't arranged to have it fixed, leaving me with no oven. I've tried to contact him but can never get through.

Is it my responsibilty to buy a new oven for the flat? I'm leaving at the end of the month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If you're leaving at the end of the month he's probably going to take it out of your deposit - I'd contact threshold to see if he's allowed to do this seeing as he's probably going to claim it on his insurance as well. (I have no idea if he can take his deductible out of your deposit but it would be good to check that as well)

There is the possibility he's pissed off at you and is letting you suffer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

Thanks Xiney.

He actually wants me to stay for another year. I haven't caused him any trouble except for this and he always gets his rent without a problem. The lease is due for renewal but I don't want to stay so I'm not going to renew.

If he's "letting me suffer" then he's not a very nice man! :D I mean it was an accident and getting home to find two fire engines outside and having to throw out a lot of my things because they were damaged is a punishment in itself. I shudder to think how much worse it could have been, though, at least no-one was hurt.

You informed him you were leaving, right? Because I may be confused but I think even if the lease is up at the end of the month you would have to give notice 28 (maybe 35, I forget) days in advance of moving out.

No, I didn't know that he needed that much notice. I'll let him know tomorrow then and move out at the end of next month if I need to.

Thanks for the info.

But so far he doesn't know that I hope to move on. As far as he's concerned I will be staying on and he hasn't done anything about the oven. It doesn't seem like he's going to. Maybe it's my fault for not bending his ear ringing up every day badgering him to sort it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

If he claims on his insurance, the insurance company will claim from you for the cost of reinstatement. It was your fault, you should pay. If he does replace it, the cost will come from your deposit. You were given a working oven and through negligence damaged it. Your contents will not be covered on the landlords insurance because he has no insurable interest in your goods.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jo King, so I have to replace the oven. Do you think I could buy him a replacement oven or will he pick one out and send me a bill?

I'm asking because it wasn't a top-of-the-line oven so I don't want to have to shell out for a brand-new model. I don't mind replacing the oven with an oven of similiar quality. (The oven was old. When I first moved in you couldn't read the display as it was worn off! By "display" I mean the writing that lets you know which knob corresponds to which hob and the same for oven, grill etc.)

UnderpantsGnome - the previous poster was not saying that you have to pay to replace the oven. He was saying that the insurance may come after you for the deductible.

Contact threshold, seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The insurance will come after him for the whole lot. the best thing to do would be to agree a figure with the landlord. The landlord will not want to claim anyay unless he can claim for smoke damage and other losses. the hassle of having to declare the claim on his renewal and the difficulties of getting quotes on other properties will put him off.

Ok, ignore Jo King - sounds like he's talking from a landlord perspective here, which is not what you, as a tenant, need.

Just go to threshold. Learn your rights, and if it turns out that you're responsible for the cost of replacing the oven (which I doubt - the most the landlord has the right to charge you is the amount of your deposit) then that's what you'll do. But I strongly suspect that it's not your problem - landlords reap the benefits of renting as well as the downsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you get a new oven, what's there to stop him from getting a new one anyway? All he has to say was that it was ordered before you got the new one in, and the oven gets replaced, and you may still get to pay for a new one, which the landlord picks...

• Advertisement
Advertisement