Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuck Liddell *UFC 97 SPOILER*

Options
  • 19-04-2009 11:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14627/dana-white-ufc-legend-chuck-liddell-is-retired.mma
    Dana White: Chuck Liddell is retired
    by Dann Stupp on Apr 19, 2009 at 4:55 am ET
    MONTREAL – One of the most storied careers in mixed martial arts has come to a close.

According to UFC President Dana White, longtime UFC fighter Chuck Liddell, who suffered a first-round TKO loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the co-main event of Saturday's UFC 97 event, is retired from fighting.

"He's a huge superstar, and we could still sell lots of tickets (with Liddell)," White said. "But I don't care about that. I care about him. I care about his health, and it's over, man. It's over."

The loss to Rua was Liddell's fourth in his past five fights and the third to come via knockout in that span. Although Liddell said he retooled his training camp, and though some of those new skills were on display on Saturday at Montreal's Bell Centre, Liddell still suffered the career-ending loss.

Much of the buildup for UFC 97 focused on Liddell's potential retirement. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last week, White had been adamant that a loss for 39-year-old Liddell would mean retirement. He softened that stance at a pre-UFC 97 press conference, possibly because Liddell said he still had a few fights left in him.

Following Rua's TKO victory, though, and after Liddell left the post-event press conference, White again spoke definitely.

"How we built this company – using boxing as the blueprint – (and we) don't let guys hang around longer than they should," White said. "I was pushing for retirement. He's my friend, I love him, and I care about him. We sat down (prior to UFC 97). We had a two-hour talk. He wanted to do this (fight). I said, 'If you take this seriously – if I hear you're in one [expletive] nightclub, if you're not training, if you're not doing this, doing that – it's over. That's it. He said, 'No, I'm taking this seriously.'

"And he did. He kept his word. He was in great shape. He came out guns slinging like he does, but that was it. If that (fight) was a toe-to-toe war and he got flashed (knocked down) a couple times and it went to decision, he'd still be retiring too. He'd still be retiring."

White said the decision is all the easier when considering all that the former UFC light-heavyweight champion has accomplished. White continually states that Liddell is the highest earner in MMA history and the biggest star the sport has ever seen.

"I don't want him to fight anymore," White said. "He [expletive] doesn't have anything to prove. Nothing to prove. He doesn't have to prove anything to me or the rest of world. He has [expletive] loads of money. There's no reason for it. ... I don't care how much he draws. I don't want to see him get hurt."

Liddell attended the post-UFC 97 press conference, a rarity for high-profile stars who suffer losses in their fights. White said it's just the type of person Liddell is. But maybe Liddell just wanted to say goodbye – without officially saying goodbye.

When asked if he had entered the cage for the final time, Liddell was at first noncommittal but later admitted it was probably true.

"Yeah, that's probably the case," Liddell said. "I'm not going to make any decisions until I go home to talk to everybody, talk to my people and my friends. ... But it's probably safe to say (I'm retired)."

The news will likely hit the MMA world hard. Despite his 1-4 record since his final title defense over Tito Ortiz at UFC 66, Liddell remains a fan favorite, a proven par-per-view draw, and an international icon for the sport.

"Fight fans love guys who are real fighters, and you will never in your [expletive] life meet a more real fighter than this guy," White said. "He didn't want to stop. He didn't want to quit. He wanted to take another run at the title. He loves to fight."

Liddell retires with a 21-7 record, including a 16-6 mark in the UFC. His 16 wins in the organizations remain a UFC record.

Lidell, who turned pro in 1998, made his MMA and UFC debut at UFC 17. He won the UFC's light-heavyweight title in 2005 and made four consecutive title defenses before losing the belt to Quinton Jackson in 2007.

According to White, Liddell will remain with the organization, though an exact role has not been determined. However, White said Liddell will likely be involved in the organization's public relations, including the push for MMA legislation in the few remaining U.S. states where the sport is not currently regulated.

"He'll always have a home here," White said.

I found watching Chuck after the knock out really tough.

I wonder what role they will give him and can Chuck resign him to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I thought Chuck was looking like his old self in that fight. The record is starting to tarnish a bit with his recent run of fights, but if every other fighter in the division fought the same opponents I doubt there would be too many who would have done much better.

Is it too late for Chuck to take a few easier fights and work his way back? I still think he would be more than a handfull for most of the guys out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id say he could take some easier fights but he'll never be a title challenger again. He's be better off hanging it up now. Granted ive never been a massive fan of his but I dont like seeing fighters go past their time (hint hint shamrocks)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I thought Chuck was looking like his old self in that fight.

Ive little doubt that he trained his ass off but his time has come to hang it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Agreed best go now last thing id like to see for him is to turn into another shamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭marcusluck

man he should retire!!he used to able to take those punchs no problem..his legs are totally gone..he fell over like a statue..even before he got ko'd he was really flat footed..he did look good momentarily moved his head,,
    but he is nearly 40 and it will happen again if he continues probleyto a lesser fighter..sad to see him go like that:(

shogun look good

• Advertisement

He's nearly 40, there is no shame in retiring. Randy Couture is the exception, not the rule.

marcusluck wrote: »
    shogun look good

Just wish we seen this version in Dublin.

Was Chuck cut by his own finger/thumb nail?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Chuck definitely has Ken Shamrock syndrome at the moment.

If he was to fight again, everybody watching would just be waiting for the one (and only one) solid punch to connect and knock him out.

He's made a lot of money from MMA and should retire with his health intact and be an ambassador for the sport and help train the next generation of fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Was actually wondering if this was the end of Lidddel before the news broke.

I was never a big fan but he was essential in bringing UFC to the mainstream, the surprising thing was that it was announced straight after the fight. A lot of tickets could be sold for a Liddell retirement match .

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Personally I hope Shogun goes on to achieve great things in the UFC. Really exciting fighter.

• Advertisement

Maynard wrote: »
    Personally I hope Shogun goes on to achieve great things in the UFC. Really exciting fighter.

Agreed, really hate how the crowd turned against him over here. Although last night didn't answer any questions about his ability to go last in the later rounds it showed a good killer instinct. He had Liddel's leg f*cked up from the first leg kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Those anderson silva legs kicks cannot be legal. very disrepectful show by silva imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Killme00 wrote: »
    Those anderson silva legs kicks cannot be legal. very disrepectful show by silva imo.

Wrong thread :) and how are they illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Wrong thread :) and how are they illegal?

I'll discuss on the other thread but i think straight kicks to the front of the knee are or should be illegal (especially considering foot stamps were banned for this event).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

chuck, as for many people was and is my favourite fighter and it hit me like a ton of bricks when Rampage knocked him out, i was speechless. same wih Jardine and Evans..

it killed me to see him sparked AGAIN last night. so i think its time to hang up the gloves. as dana said, he has nothing left to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭rossedge

really hard to watch that knock out, by far one of my fav all time fighters!

I was a huge fan of Rua in Pride, so looking forward to him getting back to that level with the UFC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

hopefully the end of one superstar herlads the beginning of another. lets see shogun go on a tear of the divison

Hard to watch him go out like that, he's done a lot for the sport and conducted himself in a classy manner but the problem for him is that he's a one (two) trick pony and those tricks have been figured out. He's still going to be the old generation of grapplers with sh1tty strikes who can't take him down but the new generation of MMA fighter doesn't match well for him.

Everyones time comes and it's best for him not to get his lights punched out repeatedly now. He is a father after all and has other ways to make money for himself.

Shogun deserves credit though, great performance and he's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I was never a huge fan of Chuck but he helped put the sport on the map and no doubt he's been an entertaining fighter. Nothing worse than watching a legend get dismantled so I hope this really is where he stops.

I hope the UFC give him a proper role too.
    Randy used to be a great guest commentator, I'd love to see Chuck get in there and try out some commentating too.

Hopefully, the Rua from Pride has finally arrived in UFC. He looked a smart fighter and a dangerous fighter both on his feet and on the ground. Looking forward to seeing who they put him in with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I was disappointed to see Chuck go out like that I really thought he had it in him to get the win.

Good to see Shogun put on a performance in the UFC looking forward to his next fight.

• Advertisement

I hope the UFC give him a proper role too.
    Randy used to be a great guest commentator, I'd love to see Chuck get in there and try out some commentating too.

Couldn't really picture him doing commentary although if Florian can do it anyone can.

Maybe he will be appointed the official greasing lookout in the near future.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Chucks chin is gone. Hes still more or less the same fighter, he's just cant take the shots anymore. I wouldnt be surprised if we see one more chuck fight, just to see him go out on a high..

lol at chuck becoming a commentator. The dude has problems stringing a coherent sentence together.. Florian is actually quite elequent and as potential to be decent enough imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Chucks chin is gone. Hes still more or less the same fighter, he's just cant take the shots anymore. I wouldnt be surprised if we see one more chuck fight, just to see him go out on a high..

Im not saying your wrong but i think its more to do with people standing with chuck these days, he used to ko lads who would go for take downs on him but since jardine stood and dominated chuck everyone has been doing the same and knocking chuck out, the fear factor is gone.
    lol at chuck becoming a commentator. The dude has problems stringing a coherent sentence together.. Florian is actually quite elequent and as potential to be decent enough imo..

Agreed, Kenny was good in commentary and chuck slurs and sounds punchy-how anyone thinks he'd be a good commentator i dont know-:rolleyes:

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

How about Chuck as a ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

If you look at lidells reign of dominance youll see fighters tailor made for him. Guys who were predominantly wrestlers and submission fighters, Oetiz twice couture twice(although lost once) Babalu twice, Mezger, Horn,Vernon White(I never really considered him a striker), Randleman, Jones. Theres not actually many natural strikers on his C.V. bar Ovareem, belfort and in his later career silva.

Will he go back to accounting? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

If you look at lidells reign of dominance youll see fighters tailor made for him. Guys who were predominantly wrestlers and submission fighters, Oetiz twice couture twice(although lost once) Babalu twice, Mezger, Horn,Vernon White(I never really considered him a striker), Randleman, Jones. Theres not actually many natural strikers on his C.V. bar Ovareem, belfort and in his later career silva.

True, but these were the top guys around at the time. He really had to fight them..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't think that Chuck's fought his last fight. I think that he should have though. It's getting too dangerous for him now

But if Chuck wants to fight, can the UFC stop him? If Affliction, for example, come in with a big offer, could Chuck take it? I doubt that he would right now, but down the line he may get fed up with whatever role the UFC have planned for him. He just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who can just give it up like that

I was never a big fan of his until recently. I'd still call him more talented than most at this stage, it's just that it's becoming too much of a risk for him. Those knockouts can take their toll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I believe he has said in the past that he wouldnt fight for any other organisation, and when he finished fighting in the UFC, he would be retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

dunkamania wrote: »
    I believe he has said in the past that he wouldnt fight for any other organisation, and when he finished fighting in the UFC, he would be retired.

But it seems that this decision isn't entirely his. That, mixed with the potential of him maybe just not getting used to not fighting, could change his mind. It's not like he's lost all his skills and would be a walkover for any fighter. There's nothing stopping him from believing that he's still got plenty left to give

I don't know what will happen, I just wouldn't be surprised at all if he went back to fighting

Advertisement