Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs V Newcastle Match Thread 19/04/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Last year, 1 win in 14 going into this fixture.

This year, 1 win in 14 going into this fixture.

If we play well, I think we will win, but that's a pretty huge IF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The only thing differently about last year to this year is the fact that the table looked a lot better for us than it does now.

I'll be interested to see what team Shearer will put out. He's giving a few late fitness tests to Lovenkrands, Steven Taylor and apparently he's asking Martins to play through the pain if Sky Text is to be believed.

Come on Toon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Pretty big game alright. I still maintain that our fate will be determined on those 3 home games against Pompey, Boro, and Fulham, but today is a massive opportunity to get get some confidence and momentum going.

I think we need to really take it to spurs. Spurs have the type of technical players who will always be able to open you up, so parking the bus and hoping to nick a goal would be stupid. We have to play to our strengths, rather than trying to play against theirs. I fear Modric most today.

Anyway, it's that time of the week again where faint optimism takes over. Howay the fcuking lads!!!

Toon Toon.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Need a Newcastle win here, have 50 with a mate that they will stay up.

• Advertisement

Need a Newcastle win here, have 50 with a mate that they will stay up.

I hope you're right.

Howay the lads.

Starting line ups.

THFC: Heurelho Gomes, Tom Huddlestone, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent, Wilson Palacios, Luka Modric, Robbie Keane, Michael Dawson, Verdan Corluka, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Jonathan Woodgate
    Subs: Alan Hutton, Gareth Bale, Didier Zokora, David Bentley, Frazier Campbell, Carlo Cudicini, Jermain Defoe

NUFC: Steve Harper, Habib Beye, Steven Taylor, Sebastien Bassong, Ryan Taylor, Damien Duff, Kevin Nolan, Jonas Gutierrez, Nicky Butt, Michael Owen (c), Andy Carroll
    Subs: Tim Krul, David Edgar, Danny Guthrie, Shola Ameobi, Oba Martins, Mark Viduka, Alan Smith

Looks a lot stronger bench than last week that's for sure. Finally Ameobi is dropped from the start. Nice to see Guthrie back in amongst the subs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

spurs 3 -1

I'll take that starting lineup. Want to see Guthrie in there starting by the next game though. Nolan gives us nothing. Still, at least with Duff and Spidey, there is some amount of creativity to feed Owen and Carroll, and the possibility of bringing on Martins and Viduka is a massive plus, as opposed to just lumping on Ameobi.

Charlie wrote: »
    I'll take that starting lineup. Want to see Guthrie in there starting by the next game though. Nolan gives us nothing. Still, at least with Duff and Spidey, there is some amount of creativity to feed Owen and Carroll, and the possibility of bringing on Martins and Viduka is a massive plus, as opposed to just lumping on Ameobi.

I know. It's a positive side and we need to have a positive attitude going into this game.

Good old Rob Lee in the Sky Sports studio. Legend. The stress is making him go grey. If we lose I reckon all of his hair will be gone.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I hope you're right.

Howay the lads.

So Do I:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sunderland winning yesterday was a a massive disaster for us.
    With their run in I was saying it was West Brom/ Sunderland and either Middlesborough or Newcastle.
    Now I just cannot see a way out for us. :(
    I'm supposed to be going to the Newcastle v Aston Villa match (last game) but I don't think I could handle it if we got relegated especially by AV who's supported by one of my mates and we do a yearly positional bet on our own teams for the last 10 years.

So Do I:)

I hope the Shearer factor can get through to our players today. Third time lucky.

It is certainly the game that it needs to happen in. I reckon if they win this then ye will stay up.

It is certainly the game that it needs to happen in. I reckon if they win this then ye will stay up.

If we win this then if we can win our three home games then I will be slightly more positive. If we don't win today we need to win our three home games and then try win away from home at either Liverpool or Villa which, let's face it, won't happen.

This is the most important match in our season. This will set confidence levels soaring if we can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I agree with Cha, 3 home games are the one that matter, anything here is a bonus. Dont think we'll be playing for anything other than a win! No Ameobi thank fcuk!!!!!!

M5 wrote: »
    I agree with Cha, 3 home games are the one that matter, anything here is a bonus. Dont think we'll be playing for anything other than a win! No Ameobi thank fcuk!!!!!!

I know. I gave a little cheer. We'll have some purpose about attacking now. And the fact that Oba and Dukes are on the bench gives us even more of a threat.

Not sure about this 3-5-2 formation.

I know. I gave a little cheer. We'll have some purpose about attacking now. And the fact that Oba and Dukes are on the bench gives us even more of a threat.

Not sure about this 3-5-2 formation.

Bit surprised he stuck with it, we were very leaky against Stoke, the extra quality that spurs have will give us a scare or 3 im sure!!! On the plus point this should be a game of football not a battle like last week, unless we decide to make it one...

Bit surprised he stuck with it, we were very leaky against Stoke, the extra quality that spurs have will give us a scare or 3 im sure!!! On the plus point this should be a game of football not a battle like last week, unless we decide to make it one...

We need a performance. First and foremost.

CMON TOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Gomes to make a bucketful of mistakes.... hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

some sopcast links for those without the tv channel.........

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/71091 ......english com

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6816 .....english com

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6029

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/30931

no tv client needed for......---->>>>>>>>> http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch4.html

Gomes to make a bucketful of mistakes.... hopefully.

Doubt that very much, he looks a decent keeper now

Doubt that very much, he looks a decent keeper now

Well hopefully he'll go back to his old days.

TOON TOON!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Isn't WHL the only place in London Newcastle win?

...Black And White Army!!!

mike65 wrote: »

Certainly seems that way alright. Need it to continue today.

mike65 wrote: »

One of the about 5 away wins in 2 years..... never mind London

Jesus Bassong.

• Advertisement

Jesus Bassong.

gota knock that out of him, habit developing, Looking for it to be fair but so woul our lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Looking at the form and the quality of the players in both teams, it's very difficult to see beyond a Spurs win. They've looked very solid lately (especially at home where I believe they havn't lost this year). One thing with Spurs this year you could bank on was a dodgy defence/goalkeeper and a concession of at least one goal. But they've tightened up lately, I think Redknapp's influence is beginning to tell and they are showing their potential as a team that (on paper at least) should be up there with Villa and Everton. Can't see Newcastle keeping a clean sheet here, I expect a 2-0 win for Spurs.

Unless of course the 'Shearer factor' (if it exists) somehow somes into play, but there wasn't much evidence of a turnaround against Chelsea and Stoke. I think the bookies have perhaps overplayed this Shearer factor (IMO), as you could get Spurs at 5/7 which I think is a great price looking at the form in the run up to this game. SPurs will want to win they still have a lot to play for.

We can't get it out of our own half. We're under a lot of pressure at the moment.

too easy for spurs in midfield, just not quite nailing the final ball

Good play from Jonas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Morzadec wrote: »
    I think the bookies have perhaps overplayed this Shearer factor (IMO), as you could get Spurs at 5/7 which I think is a great price looking at the form in the run up to this game.

Completely agree...5/7 is a great price IMO...can't see anything but a Spurs win here, although I'm kinda hoping the Toon do it as it would be a shame to see them go down.

• Advertisement

Brilliant from Taylor. Absolutely brilliant piece of defending.

let off there... eek

Shearer has to change it now to 4-4-2

This system is not working whatsoever. We've been under so much pressure for 15 minutes.

wheres Nolan and R. Taylor?? wakey wakey

Edit: o there he is, giving the ball away in the middle:mad:

We're not closing down quick enough. Spurs are having way too much time on the ball.

If things don't change soon we'll be lucky to even scrape a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Taylor WTF was that?

Ryan Taylor should have taken that corner. Much better crosser than Duff.

Fcuk!!!!!!

****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

FFS lads.

COME ON NEWCASTLE!!!!!!

wasnt going to land anywhere else but at his feet was it???? SSDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

get in :)