Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would I be mad buying a Pentax *ist D?

• 19-04-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I know its an old digital slr but supposedly pretty good and tiny too. I have a couple of pentax 'A' lenses 50mm, 70-210 which i like using. not autofocus though. they are both fairly old so well made. also have a newish 28-80 crappy plastic pentax lense. trouble is the ist will cost me 250 - 300 on ebay and i can get a nikon d40 new for that up north. If i had both of them side by side i'd go for the pentax because of build quality. but thats just snobbery on my part.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

breadbin wrote: »
    I know its an old digital slr but supposedly pretty good and tiny too. I have a couple of pentax 'A' lenses 50mm, 70-210 which i like using. not autofocus though. they are both fairly old so well made. also have a newish 28-80 crappy plastic pentax lense. trouble is the ist will cost me 250 - 300 on ebay and i can get a nikon d40 new for that up north. If i had both of them side by side i'd go for the pentax because of build quality. but thats just snobbery on my part.

build quality really isnt an issue unless you plan to treat your camera like crap... not many do... in fairness the d40 is alright... no af motor leaves you in same boat as if you stay with pentax on the 500 mm unless you fork out 300 bills for the af-s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

I'd go after a d10k or d20k if I was going Pentax to keep the lenses. The Ist D is a little dated but just as functional... though if I was getting a cheap backup I'd go for a DS.

My 2Cents, The pentax AF lenses are good if you go up the range to the higher speed lenses (limiteds) and if you choose the newer bodies, I have a DS with kit AF lense that continually hunts at medium light where shooting with the flash for AF assist is an absolute pain. The manual pentax lenses are really quite good but you'll drive yourself mad trying to focus properly without the split prism (I do and my eye sight is 20/20!)

The Nikons have decent AF, maybe a 2nd hand D50 or D70 rather than a D40? and their normal lenses seem to be better at low light, slightly quicker and more reliable. (own experience)

I've gone down the Pentax route with screw and K-mount lenses with digital and while I don't regret it I find that I would have made things a little easier for myself if I went Nik or Can.

Edit: currently searching for more pentax lenses.... LBA affliction

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

My 2Cents, The pentax AF lenses are good if you go up the range to the higher speed lenses (limiteds) and if you choose the newer bodies, I have a DS with kit AF lense that continually hunts at medium light where shooting with the flash for AF assist is an absolute pain. The manual pentax lenses are really quite good but you'll drive yourself mad trying to focus properly without the split prism (I do and my eye sight is 20/20!)

Jesus, i don't want it to be hunting, its so annoying. I have an Olympus 8080 that does this all the time. I didn't think slrs did this. Do all of them do it or is it just the small apertures and light etc that effect that?

I started thinking of the D40 cos Ken rockwell doesn't have a bad thing to say about it really.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

DIdn't know the ist didn't have the matte split screen. Was hoping it would focus like the film slr i used to use, no good for action but grand for everyday still objects.

breadbin wrote: »
    DIdn't know the ist didn't have the matte split screen. Was hoping it would focus like the film slr i used to use, no good for action but grand for everyday still objects.

Exactly! My pet peev, going to buy another few bodies and convert one using a Katseye Screen, a retrofitted split prism screen that is designed to replace the DS screen with minimised impact on metering (I hope)

The autofocusing is a big issue with me right now, I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that once I save up for the legendary 2.8 stars and maybe a few limiteds that something like the d20k and the lenses wide appature will mean good reliable focusing.

BTW the flash af assist is terrible on the DS in my opinion, using built in flash at a party/gig etc and it may strobe the flash to help the AF, and after you've prepared a shot and it happens 3 times in a row..... and people think the photo had been taken ..... :mad:

Still, bright relatively action free scenarios are fine, I'm buying pentax primes specifically for learning and developing my photography since I've already gone the pentax digital route.

Try DPreview, excellent site!

AF is something to use for sports, action and spontanious shooting, manual is perfect for shooting artistic/prepared shots and for not being lazy, but I feel that a small deficientcy in manual shooting (where you have the time to focus properly etc) compared to a defficientcy in autofocus, well, a good AF wins handsdown (I have missed so many photos...)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

€250-300 will get you a k100d with the 18-55. Compared with the *istD you'd be gaining shake reduction, better jpegs, better AF. Downsides? You wouldn't get the handy front dial and... that's about it as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

yeah, agreed about getting a newer pentax body over the original ist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I still have it's slightly older brother (almost identical twin really) the *ist DL. Fine camera - no plans on parting with mine although the K20D is the default for me at the moment. The *ist DL was my first DSLR moving from a fuji bridge and I absolutely loved it. One thing that was evident for me straight away was that Pentax kinda just include everything you'd need - no questions over autofocus motor in lens, multi/center/spot metering, lens compatibility over decades of years, etc... At six megapixels your crop options will be limited but if you are a photographer that gets it mostly right in camera then that won't bother you too much. Lens compatibility is wonderful. I've gone as far as 30X20 with a print from my DL and while I wouldn't go much larger, the results at that size were very acceptable. Autofocus on the DL has never caused me any particular problems even with the kit lens.

I haven't used a D but the DL is a smashing camera and the Pentax system that you are continuing with will support any of those K-mount lens(s). Your manual pentax lens(s) will continue to give wonderful results. Manual focus is tricky but hey - isn't it on every brand (accepted - perhaps some more than others). And when that old manual lens is in the zone, then the results are damn sweet. The lightweight and size are an added bonus if you're looking for that sort of thing.

I really can't fault the DL anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Does shake reduction actually work or is it more a marketing thing? i know technically it does but with a camera without sr how often would the sensor need to be cleaned?

I had thought of the K10 or K100 but afaik they are alot bigger than the ist d. thats something that would put me off them but i'll have another look. i agree the newer bodies would be a safer bet.

Regarding Dust. Its all about prevention, I change my lenses at location carefully, turned off, pointing down, covers for everything, have had my DS for a long time now, 2or3years and no dust at all. Dust reduction/removal as a camera ability is something I know nothing about, but the various techs seem to be praised.

Shake reduction is useful and does work, maybe a stop or two slower than normally achieved handheld, having the tech in camera gives the ability to all your lenses. It should be turned off if the camera is tripod mounted though. My first digital had it and it was effective, but I'd never rely on it, rather up the iso, faster lenses, or keeping the shutter speed high than create a hit/miss opportunity in the hands of the camera. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have the K100D Super myself and absolutely love the thing, fantastic camera. As another poster pointed out Pentax include everything. Surely one can be picked up fairly cheaply these days second hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

The difference shake reduction makes can be astonishing for night shots. This was taken hand held over 1/6s with a k100d:

3092589058_050b8a4445_b.jpg

Nice photo,

The Body is important but the glass I feel is more important. (If) you're thinking of going for a Nikon system, why not save your money buying a secondhand beginning body, buy the best lense(s) you can afford, then in a year upgrade the body?

BTW the D50 going here may be your ticket, especially if seller is splitting! If the body is in good condition and can be had for 125-150euro!
    Edit: lol forgot the link! http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=108222&cat=51

I know nothing about Nikon lenses, but if these are known to be decent, you can get more details, and the seller will split, you may just have a good starting set for 300euro total!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/others/889149

Advertisement