Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big brother - neighbours watching our every move

Options
  • 19-04-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

ok.. if any1 here can give me advice on this...

i live in a compound of about 40 townhouses in dublin 4. Ive been here about 3-4 yrs, and therese two(
    living in seperate houses)sad no-life nosey bitches that live accross from my place. You know the type, always out hanging around, watching every1s move, always looking out the window watching how u park and running out to give out if u do the slightest thing wrong...

anyway, 3 days ago i noticed 4 cctv cameras being installed around the main entrance ..i assumed that this was a new security measure by managment but found out yesterday that management knew nothing about it and has since emerged that these 2 wretches actually paid for them and have monitors in their gaffs so they can spy on us all, know when we leave, arrive, when we have friends over etc..
    Ofcourse they will claim its for security but the truth is they are complete sad cases, have no jobs and the height of their lives is watching who is coming nd who is going..

so is this against the law?I plan on complaining to the management...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If they are neither the owner/landlord or part of the management company, I would expect that it is illegal. To me, it would create a higher security risk, that someone is observing my movements. I would personally be insisting the management company get onto this asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

If they are neither the owner/landlord or part of the management company, I would expect that it is illegal. To me, it would create a higher security risk, that someone is observing my movements. I would personally be insisting the management company get onto this asap.

she is incredibly nosey and as such she is on the management commitee..goes to the meetings to get all the gossip etc..but the cameras are nothing to do with the management..its her and her friends doing..she has been living here for about 20 yrs r so and as such think she owns the place..she owns 1 house here which she lives in-that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dark night, balaclava, hammer.

Repeat as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hagar wrote: »

Repeat as required.

Agreed...let see's how deep her pockets are :D

Any chance you can claim invasion of privacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Better idea would be to put the balaclava on,
    take the cameras down and sell them on eBay.

Now that would be delicious ironing indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hagar wrote: »

Repeat as required.

Nah-Air Rifle would be my move. you could always practice on the windows first to warm up of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- lodge an official complaint with the Management Company- the fact that she is on the committee is wholly irrelevant. If necessary send a solicitors letter. No-one is within their rights to unilaterly spy on their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Definately Not Against The Law But Nothing A Hammer And A Balaclava Wont Fix :D

Using destructive means to remove the camera could potentially result in a civil liability on the part of the destroyer. There will be no further discussion of this here. Regards, SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just to clear things up, I wasn't seriously advocating the use of violence or any illegal activity. It was ment as a joke, not to be taken seriously. I thought it was fairly obviously a humourous comment. I was wrong. Sorry about that.

Go through the official channels. The people concerned have not got the right to spy on anybody. They probably don't have the right to attach anything to the walls of the buildings much like not having rights to fit tv aerials, washing lines, sat dishes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I Was Also Joking :)

Fine. There was a reported post on the matter- which is why Hagar was clarifying the matter.

Matter is now closed.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So... if someone go their hands on those tapes, they would see when you'd usually leave, and come back at? I'd get them removed, as someone with those tapes would know when to rob your place! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

the_syco wrote: »
    So... if someone go their hands on those tapes, they would see when you'd usually leave, and come back at? I'd get them removed, as someone with those tapes would know when to rob your place! :(

I agree, a basis to go to the guards and express concern that individuals are monitoring CCTV rather than a monitoring company or security firm.

Ask around the complex and see how other people feel about this. Get advice or log a concern with the local Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

there are also no notices up on the premises to mention the usage of cctv footage which makes it further illegal as I can't remember the law but there has to be clear notices for this. The idea that they've installed the cams is a bit spooky especially the quantity.
    For now (with out advocating violence) just accidentally bump into em as you walk by and let the cam record the ground. Otherwise contact your management company and have them remove the camera's with immediate affect. Also, park your car a lil crooked outside sometime :P:P Had neighbours just like yours before except the cams were on their own property (on a 20 foot pole)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Could there also be a case of bringing it to the notice of the data protection commisioner since they might be keeping the recordings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Supposing you get the cameras removed.

They will probably just install them on their own houses and then you'll have to go through this again.

Having them at the main entrance is out of order.
    But if them put them on their house they might still get a panoramic view of the estate but they will just claim they are monitoring their driveway.

Have these curtain twitchers put up signs about cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭cls

Why are you so concerned about it? Do you have something to hide? Sounds to me like they're doing everyone a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

You could probably get them in some serious financial trouble if they don't remove the cameras immediately after you request them to (i strongly recommend doing this in writing and via recorded delivery)

cls wrote: »
    Why are you so concerned about it? Do you have something to hide? Sounds to me like they're doing everyone a favour.
    Nonsense, if the residents in general wanted CCTV they could pay for it through the management company and have a centrally organised system. This sounds very much like a case of some nosy, somewhat creepy individuals spying on their neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There is no law saying that they can't erect cctv cameras. There is no law about it being monitored by a security firm rather than an individual. Once the cameras are viewing a public area, they are fine.

While you may have an issue with them monitoring you, I'll bet you'd be very glad they had cctv recordings if anything was broken in to and stolen.

Besides, how many cctv cameras do you pass in a day, that would know the time you are home/not home.

If you have a concern, raise it through the proper channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How could they install security cameras outside their property boundries. Did they receive the permission of the management company to erect these cameras, did they obtain planning permission from the local county council?

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Nonsense, if the residents in general wanted CCTV they could pay for it through the management company and have a centrally organised system. This sounds very much like a case of some nosy, somewhat creepy individuals spying on their neighbours.
    They don't need their neighbours persmission to erect security cameras. Nor can they be sued for monitoring you. Every time you walk by or enter a commercial business you are being filmed. I can stand on the street corner with a camcorder and film you and there's nothing you can do about it. In fact, if you were to do anything about it it would be you who could be sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mary D

Make a serious complaint to the Management Company, chances are these cameras were erected on a common area and the nosey neighbour would have no authority to place ANYTHNING on a common area. Insist to the Management Company that there are removed immediately. Tell them you live in a private residential area and you don't feel comfortable being monitored by your neighbours.

cls wrote: »
    They don't need their neighbours persmission to erect security cameras. Nor can they be sued for monitoring you. Every time you walk by or enter a commercial business you are being filmed. I can stand on the street corner with a camcorder and film you and there's nothing you can do about it. In fact, if you were to do anything about it it would be you who could be sued.
    I suspect you're ignoring the possibility that they're recording the images, in which case the Data Protection Act would kick in.
    Businesses all have signs up (or are supposed to) stating that CCTV recording is in place, what the purpose is, and letting you know where to contact for copies of tapes which contain your image.
    There's also a suggestion in the OP that the cameras were installed on property other than the people in question's houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

cojomo2 wrote: »
    anyway, 3 days ago i noticed 4 cctv cameras being installed around the main entrance ..

from the OP statement above it sounds like the cameras are not on the neighbors private property, rather on the common area, which would I assume be under the control of the management company?
    If this is the case, I would suggest contacting the management company directly and requesting all information about said cameras, who installed them, who monitors the feeds, is information being recorded, if yes, where is it being stored, do they have a compliance statement with regard to the data protect act etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

1) management company should take action against the nosey woman for defacing common area property. Lodge a formal complaint with the management company

2) afaik you are not entitled to view or record people without their consent. There should be signs up stating the reason for and contact details for the monitoring company/person. www.dataprivacy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

otwb wrote: »
    2) afaik you are not entitled to view or record people without their consent. There should be signs up stating the reason for and contact details for the monitoring company/person. www.dataprivacy.ie

In that case, every shop/office, city with CCTV cameras are in breach of your assumption. Your consent is not required if you are in a public area, or in an area where you have no expected right to privacy.

But, in fact, they are within their right to record you, but their use of the recorded information falls under the Data Protection Act. They may be monitoring you, without recording anything (camera straight to TV), and so the Data Protection Act does not cover this at all. Also, signs or no signs, it doesn't make any difference at all.

From what I can see, the only issue the OP can have, is that the CCTV camera(s) are mounted probably without permission from the management company. Nothing more.

otwb wrote: »
    That kind of defeats the purpose of CCTV cameras. It would mean CCTV evidence would not be admissable in court without the permission of the accused :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

If these residents involved are, as the OP says, actively involved in the management committee, they could have tried having additional security cameras installed in public areas by consensus rather than resorting to this themselves.

It would be interesting to know what kind of anti-social behaviour these people are hoping to capture in an established development of townhouses in D4.

Advertisement