Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big brother - neighbours watching our every move

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Paulw wrote: »
    In that case, every shop/office, city with CCTV cameras are in breach of your assumption. Your consent is not required if you are in a public area, or in an area where you have no expected right to privacy.

But, in fact, they are within their right to record you, but their use of the recorded information falls under the Data Protection Act. They may be monitoring you, without recording anything (camera straight to TV), and so the Data Protection Act does not cover this at all. Also, signs or no signs, it doesn't make any difference at all.

From what I can see, the only issue the OP can have, is that the CCTV camera(s) are mounted probably without permission from the management company. Nothing more.

just because the use of CCTV without notice is common practice, doesn't mean it isn't against the law. Like many laws recently introduced They are not observed or well known. And will only be enforced once a prosecution has been made in the public eye, such has been the case in the UK.

The law in question is the European surveillance laws(which are also the reason why the Garda have to publish any planned speed traps in local media) & article 8 in the European consortium human rights.

Also should they record anything the data protection act comes into play.

And as you said there is also the minor issue of not having the management companies permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

It would be interesting to know what kind of anti-social behaviour these people are hoping to capture in an established development of townhouses in D4.

one of the cameras is aimed at the communal bin room- as on occasion, some people have put bottles etc in there which is not permitted- i dont have an issue with this, but the other 3 are pointed at the entrance where there is an electric gate, one in the opposite direction so they can see which part of the development you turn into when you enter, and anoter pointing rite into one of the communal areas.

for those who see nothing wrong with this, how would you like ur nosey neighbour (who pesters every1 about minor issues) having her own private cctv cameras recording you? these cameras are NOT on her property, and are not even visabble from her property...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In our development we have cctv cameras - pointing at the bin sheds (to catch illegal dumping and people not putting rubbish in to the bins), cameras pointed at all entrance gates, and cameras around the car park to see all areas.

I think I'm the only resident with access to the CCTV system, as well as the management agent having access.

Ours were all installed after it was voted in at our AGM two years ago. More than anything, people have been thankful - we've captured crimes being committed, and prosecuted some for illegal dumping.

Are you 100% sure that the CCTV is owned by the one neighbour? That's someone with plenty of money, obviously.

In your case, OP, I can't see what your issue is. So what if they see you come and go? Again, if you've an issue, why don't you join the committee and make a complaint to the management agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cojomo2 wrote: »
    ok.. if any1 here can give me advice on this...

i live in a compound of about 40 townhouses in dublin 4. Ive been here about 3-4 yrs, and therese two(
    living in seperate houses)sad no-life nosey bitches that live accross from my place. You know the type, always out hanging around, watching every1s move, always looking out the window watching how u park and running out to give out if u do the slightest thing wrong.....

Why do I get the feeling we are only hearing one side of the argument ?
    What do you mean by the "slightest thing wrong" ?

Half the time we are hearing how people don't care about their areas, their communities and don't give a damm about anyone but themselves.
    Then when somebody does start watching things they are accused of being "sad no-life nosey bitches" :rolleyes:

To everyone backing up the OP and their viewpoint would you be glad there is someone in your neighbour keeping an eye on things.
    Call them nosey or sad if you want, but as another poster said you might be damm glad of them keeping an eye on your property, especially if it helps catch someone breaking into it or prevents damage to it.

Of course the modern PC view is that our personal space is paramount and the individaul rules over the greater good of a community.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Paulw wrote: »
    otwb wrote: »
    2) afaik you are not entitled to view or record people without their consent. There should be signs up stating the reason for and contact details for the monitoring company/person. www.dataprivacy.ie
    In that case, every shop/office, city with CCTV cameras are in breach of your assumption. Your consent is not required if you are in a public area, or in an area where you have no expected right to privacy.
    On private property, consent is implied, presuming there is a conspicuous notice.

In a public area, it may rest on whether the act of filming (not the actual recording) could constitute harassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

jmayo wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling we are only hearing one side of the argument ?
    What do you mean by the "slightest thing wrong" ?

well she has stormed over to my house twice because my mate called round and parked in the communal parking area ..which she says is for residents only...this is despite the fact there was loads of free spaces and the fact that she has her son visit for a few days every so often and he parks there. Also some dude in a jeep visits her regulary and parks here too.

on another ocasion, her son(who does not live there) took it upon himself to plaster an A4 page on my car saying 'no parking here' as he didnt recognise my car... i took it up with her on got a half hearted apology..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cojomo2 wrote: »
    well she has stormed over to my house twice because my mate called round and parked in the communal parking area ..which she says is for residents only...this is despite the fact there was loads of free spaces and the fact that she has her son visit for a few days every so often and he parks there. Also some dude in a jeep visits her regulary and parks here too.

on another ocasion, her son(who does not live there) took it upon himself to plaster an A4 page on my car saying 'no parking here' as he didnt recognise my car... i took it up with her on got a half hearted apology..

Well next time her son or friend in the jeep turn up you could give her a taste of her own medecine and see how she likes it.
    As regard son sticking A4 sheet to your car, if he does it again tell her he has no right to do that and if he ever goes near your property again you will report him for damage to your property.

But try and get her on side, because she probably has more time on her hands to play silly buggers. Maybe she gets a kick out of winding you up, you never know ?
    I know it does pay if someone is watching what's going on, becuase some day some dude might be leaving with your TV and she is probably the only one that will spot it.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement