Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD in Spanish?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a PhD level studies in Spanish in Dublin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I'd say you would be better off going to Spain to do a phD. I read somewhere a while ago that there was an Irish guy who was the first Irish person to graduate with a phD from la universidad de alcala.

Then again I wouldn't know.. I'm hoping to start Spanish in college next year as an undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Thanks for your reply...

I wouldn't mind getting the PhD digree in Spain, but I actually moved to Ireland for a reason (personal reason ;)), and so don't have the possibility of going to my beloved country (I am Polish, just to make things more intresting & complicated ;))... Was just wondering, though, if there are any possibilities around Dublin...

Anyway, will probably need to think of sth else... Or be happy with my Master's in Spanish ;) Good luck with your course!

I remembered your query on a PhD in Spanish a while back. I was reading through the NUI Maynooth undergraduate brochure. Under the section where it says "Postgraduate study" it states that "It is possible for a suitably qualified student so wishing to pursue an MLitt by major thesis or PhD." Maynooth is in Kildare (just outside of Dublin) but a lot of Dublin people commute with frequent enough bus routes to the university. It is possible to make the commute.
    website is www.nuim.ie and Spanish dept phone number is 708 4724.

Espero que eso te ayude un poco.. buena suerte!!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Thanks a million for your info! I will try contacting them and asking what my chances would be!... :)

You're planning on studying Spanish yourself, is that right?

Glad to be of some help. Yeah I'm hoping to study European Studies or Spanish through Arts in Trinity or UCD in Autumn, if I get through the leaving cert. :pac: Did you have any luck yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement