Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting MMA late

Options
  • 19-04-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just want honest answers here, Would 20 be too old to begin MMA with a view to get to a semi pro level? I love MMA but have never trained and I'd love to give it a go but I would like to know its possible that I could achieve in the sport (obviously not at a pro standard but at a high standard competitive one) I still would like to train anyway even if I could never reach that level starting so late but I was just wondering!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Would 20 be too old to begin MMA with a view to get to a semi pro level?

Simple answer: NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

MMA s a young sport in ireland so 20 is not old at all, most of my beginners are around that age, semi pro is amateur really so you can easily do that, aim to fight pro, its not that big a deal, if you train well for 2-3 years.

Actually MMA is less common at young ages in ireland, this may change in the future, im starting to train 10 yr olds onwards in a week or so, so get in now and give it a go.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I would imagine that a lot would depend on how fit/strong/flexible you are at the moment, or how active you have been in other sports until now.

If you are athletic and fit, im sure a good coach will be able to prepare you in a few years (as Cowzerp said).
    If you are a 20stone beer guzzling, smoking ,couch potato things may be a little different:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey,

Just want honest answers here, Would 20 be too old to begin MMA with a view to get to a semi pro level? I love MMA but have never trained and I'd love to give it a go but I would like to know its possible that I could achieve in the sport (obviously not at a pro standard but at a high standard competitive one) I still would like to train anyway even if I could never reach that level starting so late but I was just wondering!

Thanks

Get down to a good MMA club, roll & spar with the lads and after a few knocks, break a sweat, getting beat down and rising everytime and see if you still fancy taking a shot at competitive fighting, if you do there's lots of competition out there starting with the MMA league through to the various levels (classes) on small, regional events.

But honestly, you'll never know the difference between loving MMA as a spectator and loving it as a participant (not even a competitive one) until you get yourself down to a club and train.

Btw, twenty ain't old at the moment. But leave it a few years and you'll find it will be as most clubs (in the last few years) have opened their doors to very young and very good juniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Simple answer: NO!

This, also I am 23 and started out recently. I did Karate for 8 years and the bad habits i picked up from it really hurt my progression i feel. I'd say you have an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I was 20 when I started training MMA in September and I've had no problems with my age so no your not too old just go down to your nearest club and see what you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hey hows things? I started when I was 22 and did my 1st pro B class 2 years later when I was 24. So 20 is not too old at all to think about going pro. As the lads were saying if you find a good club, train right,work on stuff like fitness and flexibility on your own time you could easily do a pro fight in 2-3years. Best of luck with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frankazz

Hello all!! please help me. I'm 15, i play waterpolo for 8 years, and now i'm looking for an MMA club i would like to become good..

Please, if you can help me out with adresses in town close to St Stephens Green, Ranelagh, or in the City Centre. or anywhere down in Blackrock, Dun Loaghrie Leopardstown, such places!

Thank you for your help!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

For our generation I think 20 is to old. MMA is fast evolving and while you could get away with it in the past it will only become more difficult.

GSP IMO is the nest level of MMA fighters a link if you will between the old and new generation. He mixes amazing skills with an awesome physique.

The next generation guys will grow up training in MMA so you can imagine the level of skills that they will posses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Next Generation in Loughlinstown should be able to help you out. www.nextgenerationireland.com

As for 20 being too old, most people start the sport in their twenties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Too old for those who want to compete at the elite level, maybe. But defnitely not to old to enjoy the sport, and start taking fights.

In the US, many fighters come from an amateur wrestling background, so would have years of athletic and skill training behind them. I believe GSP didnt start wrestling at a high level until recvently, so I am not so sure if the arguement that over 20 is too old carries weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

dunkamania wrote: »
    Too old for those who want to compete at the elite level, maybe. But defnitely not to old to enjoy the sport, and start taking fights.

In the US, many fighters come from an amateur wrestling background, so would have years of athletic and skill training behind them. I believe GSP didnt start wrestling at a high level until recvently, so I am not so sure if the arguement that over 20 is too old carries weight.

No I'm saying GSP IMO is the link between the old and the new - we have yet to see the new but GSP is the first of a new type of fighter.

Of course I'm talking about elite guys and the poster should take up the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

dunkamania wrote: »

Thats BS, plenty of top level fighters started in their late 20s let alone early 20s or before!! Anyway, no point getting ahead of ourselves here, join a club and ul know within a few weeks (or hours for some people) if you want to stay at it or not, its not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

T-K-O wrote: »
    For our generation I think 20 is to old. MMA is fast evolving and while you could get away with it in the past it will only become more difficult.

GSP IMO is the nest level of MMA fighters a link if you will between the old and new generation. He mixes amazing skills with an awesome physique.

The next generation guys will grow up training in MMA so you can imagine the level of skills that they will posses.
    Thats a load of crap. Loads of elite athelites didnt start training in their particular disciplines untill their 20s. 20 is a great age to start almost any sport and become succesful in it.

Advertisement