Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just switch to UPC now have wireless issue

Options
  • 19-04-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi, i have just switched from eircom to upc(ntl/chorus). With eircomm i was wireless and UPC told me my router should work ok as they also use dsl for their set up. I can access the web with my ethernet cable plugged into the upc modem however i cant go wireless. How do i connect my wireless router (netopia 2247) to theupc modem? my dsl light just flashes constantly even though it tells me i am connected and i cant access the internet. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Huh, You got owned there, UPC is cable, they don't do dsl and Your Netopia will not work as a modem

.....................You could use it as an access point though, connect any ethernet port on the Netopia to the UPC router, also connect your pc to the Netopia, login to the Netopia router on 192.168.1.254, click expert mode --> Configure --> Advanced--> DHCP and then disable DHCP by unticking the DHCP Server enable option, this way You'll use it as an access point and not use the dsl port, Your wireless network and settings will remain the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 portbhoy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Huh, You got owned there, UPC is cable, they don't do dsl and Your Netopia will not work as a modem

.....................You could use it as an access point though, connect any ethermet port on the Netopia to the UPC router, also connect your pc to the Netopia, login to the Netopia router on 192.168.0.254 click expert mode --> Configure --> Advanced and then disable DHCP, this way You'll use it as an access point and not use the dsl port, Your wireless network and settings will remain the same

thanks, ill give it a try. Also going to ring upc as they have basically lied to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Yep, you'll need to get what's known as a cable router for everything to work correctly and reliably.

As a matter of interest - what package did you sign up to UPC with? The 20Mb package comes with a free "cable" router so if you signed up to this, you're entitled to your free router!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Actually there is an option apparrently somewhere under the advance options in the netopia to use is as a 'cable' router so have a good look around.

However UPC did lie to you.

dub45 wrote: »
    Actually there is an option apparrently somewhere under the advance options in the netopia to use is as a 'cable' router so have a good look around.

However UPC did lie to you.

:rolleyes: It doesn't have a wan port though, other 4 ports are just switched

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

:rolleyes: It doesn't have a wan port though, other 4 ports are just switched

I know that and I was sceptical too but there have been several posts recently from people using it successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I believe it operates as a wireless switch in that mode, with no routing.

jor el wrote: »
    I believe it operates as a wireless switch in that mode, with no routing.

Yes, a 4 port switched access point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

thats what we get for switching,there all liers,same thing happend to me,shoulda realised they would have said anyting to get me to switch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 portbhoy

.....................You could use it as an access point though, connect any ethernet port on the Netopia to the UPC router, also connect your pc to the Netopia, login to the Netopia router on 192.168.1.254, click expert mode --> Configure --> Advanced--> DHCP and then disable DHCP by unticking the DHCP Server enable option, this way You'll use it as an access point and not use the dsl port, Your wireless network and settings will remain the same

Thanks everyone for your advice much appreciated. If i do as above will i still be wireless?

• Advertisement
Advertisement