Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone correct this biology question for me?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

hay guys ;)!
    i just want to see if im giving enough information in the answers as i dont have a teacher to correct coz im repeating bio at home and i took it as a new subject.. :rolleyes: its really interesting!...
    Thanks!

here goes.. this is a section C question form 2007 14(a).

i) from what structure in the carpel does he seed develope? (3)
    -developes in ovule in the ovray.

ii) state 2 locations in the seed where food maybe stored. (6)
    - the food maybe stored in cotyeldon and endosperm.

iii) the embryo plands within the seeds have a number of parts. list two of these parts apart form the food stores, and give role of each. (12)
    -1. plumule = developes the shoot from where the plant grows upwards.
    2. radicle = developes the root where the grow downwords in to the soil.

iv)following dispersal, the seed undergoes dormancy. what is dormancy (3)
    -dormancy is when the plant stops both growth and the metabolic activity

v) give 2 advantages of dormancy.
    -1. it allows the seed to survive unfavourable weather conditions.
    2. it allows the time for the embryo to develope.

ok.. this is worth 30 marks... i dunno if i have given enough info as u can see my answers are straight to the point... do i need to elaborate more?.. n give more information?..:rolleyes:

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

www.examinations.ie

go to material archive link on left hand side and follow the instructions to the 2007 marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

craxsham wrote: »
    i dont have a teacher to correct coz im repeating bio at home and i took it as a new subject

how are you getting your experiments signed off for the inspector of education? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭craxsham

pathway33 wrote: »
    www.examinations.ie

go to material archive link on left hand side and follow the instructions to the 2007 marking scheme.

hay!.. i whote my answers with the hepl of the marking scemes too !:S..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭craxsham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Im sent you a private message.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I don't think your dormancy answers are completely right.

Seed dormancy is when the seed doesn't germinate despite favourable conditions.

2 Advantages
    You got the first one right but for the second, I'd say gives more time for the seed to travel during dispersal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

craxsham wrote: »
    hay guys ;)!
    iv)following dispersal, the seed undergoes dormancy. what is dormancy (3)
    -dormancy is when the plant stops both growth and the metabolic activity

v) give 2 advantages of dormancy.
    -1. it allows the seed to survive unfavourable weather conditions.
    2. it allows the time for the embryo to develope.
    Fringe wrote: »
    I don't think your dormancy answers are completely right.

Seed dormancy is when the seed doesn't germinate despite favourable conditions.

2 Advantages
    You got the first one right but for the second, I'd say gives more time for the seed to travel during dispersal.
    I did this exact question about an hour ago and checked it with my book and thats pretty much it bang on according to the book. Maybe they mark it differently though.
    What you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

pathway33 wrote: »
    how are you getting your experiments signed off for the inspector of education? :)

What? Whats the story with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Leejo wrote: »

Don't worry about it.

I don't believe it's part of the examination, the department just check up on schools the odd time to ensure the teachers are making the students do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Sean_K wrote: »
    Don't worry about it.

I don't believe it's part of the examination, the department just check up on schools the odd time to ensure the teachers are making the students do it.

but if you are caught with it not done, it can be pretty serious cos we were told to hold onto ours till the end of last October, after our leaving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I was told by my grinds teacher that you dont actually <i>have</i> to write them up. It doesnt say it on the syllabus anywhere that you have to have your experiments written up. You have to do them, yes, but you dont have to write them out.
    So if an inspector came to school, they can't say boo to ya.

My teacher is disputing this though. But, because of the competency of my teacher, im siding with my grinds teacher..

There was a guy a few years ago, did physics outside of school. He ended up getting the best result in Ireland and got some sort of award. He did none of the experiments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

Your answer is very good. There is no need in biology to write long winded answers. I am constantly telly my students to write their answers in point form, it cuts down on waffle, gets you focused on the question being asked and makes it easier to mark. Remember points in Biology are usually marked in 3's so if a question is worth 9 marks it requires 3 clear points.
    I wouldn,t worry about your practical write ups :rolleyes: and good luck with the exam.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Leejo wrote: »

You didn't know? It makes up a % of your leaving cert!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

gemxpink wrote: »
    You didn't know? It makes up a % of your leaving cert!?!?
    No it doesnt. Just has to be done. Leaving cert Biology is 100% Exam. Nothing going for the lab book.

Advertisement